Hyperlinks Not Linking

Earl Partridge

Hyperlinks Not Linking
Windows 7 (64 bit) - IE8
Some hyperlinks will not link. I believe the problem to be with pop ups.
Trying the same web page in XP, I get a bar at the top of the page asking if
I want to allow the pop up temporarily. Here in Win7, I don't link and I
don't get that prompt bar. I have changed the pop up settings a couple
time but nothing yet has enabled that prompt bar. What setting should
I be using?
Earl

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
Download/run the appropriate, newly-updated script(s) by IE MVP Kai
Schaetzl:
http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains all three (3) scripts below.

If you have a Win7 32-bit computer:

. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.cmd & reboot.

If you have a Win7 64-bit computer:

. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to correct the
problem in IE8 32-bit & reboot.

. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to correct the
problem in IE8 64-bit & reboot.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Earl Partridge wrote:
> Windows 7 (64 bit) - IE8
> Some hyperlinks will not link. I believe the problem to be with pop ups.
> Trying the same web page in XP, I get a bar at the top of the page asking
> if
> I want to allow the pop up temporarily. Here in Win7, I don't link and I
> don't get that prompt bar. I have changed the pop up settings a couple
> time but nothing yet has enabled that prompt bar. What setting should
> I be using?
> Earl

Earl Partridge

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
I know I'm going to feel really dumb when you answer this... I opened that
page,
do not find a "download" option. Clicked all highlighted text, nothing
offered to
download. I'm using Microsoft's Security Essentials. Never had Norton nor
McAfee
on this machine. The machine is a Win7, 64 bit. Does IE8 have 32 bit or 64
bit
versions?
Earl

> Download/run the appropriate, newly-updated script(s) by IE MVP Kai
> Schaetzl:
> http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en
>
> Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains all three (3) scripts
> below.
>
> If you have a Win7 32-bit computer:
>
> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.cmd & reboot.
>
> If you have a Win7 64-bit computer:
>
> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to correct the
> problem in IE8 32-bit & reboot.
>
> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to correct the
> problem in IE8 64-bit & reboot.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Earl Partridge wrote:
>> Windows 7 (64 bit) - IE8
>> Some hyperlinks will not link. I believe the problem to be with pop ups.
>> Trying the same web page in XP, I get a bar at the top of the page asking
>> if
>> I want to allow the pop up temporarily. Here in Win7, I don't link and I
>> don't get that prompt bar. I have changed the pop up settings a couple
>> time but nothing yet has enabled that prompt bar. What setting should
>> I be using?
>> Earl

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
Towards the very bottom of that page, Earl, you'll see a line beginning with
'attached files' - right-click on the file named ie8-rereg.all.zip and save
the download to your desktop. [I'd give you the direct-download link for
the file but Kai's requested that I not do so.]

When you extract the contents of the ZIP file, you'll have a folder on your
desktop named ie8-rereg.all. Inside that folder, you'll find three files.
Do NOT use the file named ie8-rereg.cmd!

NB: One OP in the IE forum, also running Win7 64-bit & having the "can't
open links in a new tab or window" problem, /claims/ that a recent
Win7-specific update correct the behavior for her. I dunno about that but I
thought I'd mention it.

PS: Yes, your Win7 64-bit computer has two (2) versions of IE: IE8 32-bit &
IE8 64-bit. See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
--
~PA Bear

Earl Partridge wrote:
> I know I'm going to feel really dumb when you answer this... I opened
> that
> page,
> do not find a "download" option. Clicked all highlighted text, nothing
> offered to
> download. I'm using Microsoft's Security Essentials. Never had Norton
> nor
> McAfee
> on this machine. The machine is a Win7, 64 bit. Does IE8 have 32 bit or
> 64
> bit
> versions?
>
>> Download/run the appropriate, newly-updated script(s) by IE MVP Kai
>> Schaetzl:
>> http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en Tip:
>> The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains all three (3) scripts
>> below.
>>
>> If you have a Win7 32-bit computer:
>>
>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.cmd & reboot.
>>
>> If you have a Win7 64-bit computer:
>>
>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to correct the
>> problem in IE8 32-bit & reboot.
>>
>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to correct the
>> problem in IE8 64-bit & reboot.

>> bought it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Earl Partridge wrote:
>>> Windows 7 (64 bit) - IE8
>>> Some hyperlinks will not link. I believe the problem to be with pop
>>> ups.
>>> Trying the same web page in XP, I get a bar at the top of the page
>>> asking
>>> if
>>> I want to allow the pop up temporarily. Here in Win7, I don't link and
>>> don't get that prompt bar. I have changed the pop up settings a couple
>>> time but nothing yet has enabled that prompt bar. What setting should
>>> I be using?
>>> Earl

Earl Partridge

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
OK, thanks, I downloaded (Saved) that file, extracted the files, ran the
IE8-rereg.64on64.cmd
The link I've most recently tried to use is on a page from Canon
(www.canon.com). I click
the "Americas" link, that opens up additional links. I click the Canon USA
link, still, nothing
happens. If I right-click that link, it shows a message about Adobe Flash
Player. Could this
be something that requires a 32 bit IE? If so How do I run IE 32 bit? I'll
be searching...
Earl

> Towards the very bottom of that page, Earl, you'll see a line beginning
> with
> 'attached files' - right-click on the file named ie8-rereg.all.zip and
> save
> the download to your desktop. [I'd give you the direct-download link for
> the file but Kai's requested that I not do so.]
>
> When you extract the contents of the ZIP file, you'll have a folder on
> your
> desktop named ie8-rereg.all. Inside that folder, you'll find three files.
> Do NOT use the file named ie8-rereg.cmd!
>
> NB: One OP in the IE forum, also running Win7 64-bit & having the "can't
> open links in a new tab or window" problem, /claims/ that a recent
> Win7-specific update correct the behavior for her. I dunno about that but
> I thought I'd mention it.
>
> PS: Yes, your Win7 64-bit computer has two (2) versions of IE: IE8 32-bit
> & IE8 64-bit. See
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Earl Partridge wrote:
>> I know I'm going to feel really dumb when you answer this... I opened
>> that
>> page,
>> do not find a "download" option. Clicked all highlighted text, nothing
>> offered to
>> download. I'm using Microsoft's Security Essentials. Never had Norton
>> nor
>> McAfee
>> on this machine. The machine is a Win7, 64 bit. Does IE8 have 32 bit or
>> 64
>> bit
>> versions?
>>
>>> Download/run the appropriate, newly-updated script(s) by IE MVP Kai
>>> Schaetzl:
>>> http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en Tip:
>>> The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains all three (3) scripts
>>> below.
>>>
>>> If you have a Win7 32-bit computer:
>>>
>>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.cmd & reboot.
>>>
>>> If you have a Win7 64-bit computer:
>>>
>>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to correct the
>>> problem in IE8 32-bit & reboot.
>>>
>>> . Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>>> taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to correct the
>>> problem in IE8 64-bit & reboot.
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
Flash isn't supported in IE8 64-bit (at least not until Adobe releases a
64-bit version of Flash Player.)

If you know a page contains or depends upon Flash content (e.g., some online
banking/credit card sites), open an instance of IE8 32-bit to visit the
page. Again, you'll find a lot of (hopefully) useful info & guidance in my
post in this forum thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 64-bit!

Other Win7-specific forums (since there are no Win7-specific newsgroups):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

Please note that the IE and Windows Update forums are not Win7-specific
forums (despite what you may see at the top of the forum page).

A good rule of thumb is to include your full Windows version (i.e., Win7
64-bit) and IE version (i.e., IE8) in your first post in any of those
forums, please.

Earl Partridge wrote:
> OK, thanks, I downloaded (Saved) that file, extracted the files, ran the
> IE8-rereg.64on64.cmd
> The link I've most recently tried to use is on a page from Canon
> (www.canon.com). I click
> the "Americas" link, that opens up additional links. I click the Canon
> USA
> link, still, nothing
> happens. If I right-click that link, it shows a message about Adobe Flash
> Player. Could this
> be something that requires a 32 bit IE? If so How do I run IE 32 bit?
> I'll
> be searching...
>
>> Towards the very bottom of that page, Earl, you'll see a line beginning
>> with
>> 'attached files' - right-click on the file named ie8-rereg.all.zip and
>> save
>> the download to your desktop. [I'd give you the direct-download link for
>> the file but Kai's requested that I not do so.]
>>
>> When you extract the contents of the ZIP file, you'll have a folder on
>> your
>> desktop named ie8-rereg.all. Inside that folder, you'll find three
>> files.
>> Do NOT use the file named ie8-rereg.cmd!
>>
>> NB: One OP in the IE forum, also running Win7 64-bit & having the "can't
>> open links in a new tab or window" problem, /claims/ that a recent
>> Win7-specific update correct the behavior for her. I dunno about that
>> but
>> I thought I'd mention it.
>>
>> PS: Yes, your Win7 64-bit computer has two (2) versions of IE: IE8 32-bit
>> & IE8 64-bit. See
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Earl Partridge wrote:
>>> I know I'm going to feel really dumb when you answer this... I opened
>>> that
>>> page,
>>> do not find a "download" option. Clicked all highlighted text, nothing
>>> offered to
>>> download. I'm using Microsoft's Security Essentials. Never had Norton
>>> nor
>>> McAfee
>>> on this machine. The machine is a Win7, 64 bit. Does IE8 have 32 bit
>>> or
>>> 64
>>> bit
>>> versions?

Earl Partridge

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
I'm getting there... slowly.
OK, IE8 32 bit is in Program Files (X86)
IE8 64 bit is in Program Files

It appears the Uninstall and Install are for making IE8 32 bit the default
IE8.

I ran IE from Program Files (X86) and still was not able to access that
link.
I ran IE from Program Files and that link opened.

If I got these right, it would appear my default IE8 is the 32 bit. Because
opening
the IE from Program Files, the link worked.

Earl

> Flash isn't supported in IE8 64-bit (at least not until Adobe releases a
> 64-bit version of Flash Player.)
>
> If you know a page contains or depends upon Flash content (e.g., some
> online
> banking/credit card sites), open an instance of IE8 32-bit to visit the
> page. Again, you'll find a lot of (hopefully) useful info & guidance in
> my
> post in this forum thread:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 64-bit!
>
> Other Win7-specific forums (since there are no Win7-specific newsgroups):
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>
> Please note that the IE and Windows Update forums are not Win7-specific
> forums (despite what you may see at the top of the forum page).
>
> A good rule of thumb is to include your full Windows version (i.e., Win7
> 64-bit) and IE version (i.e., IE8) in your first post in any of those
> forums, please.
>

> Earl Partridge wrote:
>> OK, thanks, I downloaded (Saved) that file, extracted the files, ran the
>> IE8-rereg.64on64.cmd
>> The link I've most recently tried to use is on a page from Canon
>> (www.canon.com). I click
>> the "Americas" link, that opens up additional links. I click the Canon
>> USA
>> link, still, nothing
>> happens. If I right-click that link, it shows a message about Adobe
>> Flash
>> Player. Could this
>> be something that requires a 32 bit IE? If so How do I run IE 32 bit?
>> I'll
>> be searching...
>>
>>> Towards the very bottom of that page, Earl, you'll see a line beginning
>>> with
>>> 'attached files' - right-click on the file named ie8-rereg.all.zip and
>>> save
>>> the download to your desktop. [I'd give you the direct-download link
>>> for
>>> the file but Kai's requested that I not do so.]
>>>
>>> When you extract the contents of the ZIP file, you'll have a folder on
>>> your
>>> desktop named ie8-rereg.all. Inside that folder, you'll find three
>>> files.
>>> Do NOT use the file named ie8-rereg.cmd!
>>>
>>> NB: One OP in the IE forum, also running Win7 64-bit & having the "can't
>>> open links in a new tab or window" problem, /claims/ that a recent
>>> Win7-specific update correct the behavior for her. I dunno about that
>>> but
>>> I thought I'd mention it.
>>>
>>> PS: Yes, your Win7 64-bit computer has two (2) versions of IE: IE8
>>> 32-bit
>>> & IE8 64-bit. See
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Oldster

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking

"Earl Partridge" <earlp@pearnet.com> wrote in message
> Windows 7 (64 bit) - IE8
> Some hyperlinks will not link. I believe the problem to be with pop ups.
> Trying the same web page in XP, I get a bar at the top of the page asking
> if
> I want to allow the pop up temporarily. Here in Win7, I don't link and I
> don't get that prompt bar. I have changed the pop up settings a couple
> time but nothing yet has enabled that prompt bar. What setting should
> I be using?
> Earl

I have this same problem with the 32bit version of IE8 on windows 7. As far
as I can find out, I have attempted all the fixes mentioned in various
replies, and nothing works. The problem as I see it concerns the "copy" of a
hyperlink especially to download a file. Double click on the link does
nothing. If I right click on the link, select copy, and paste it into a new
IE8 window, then the download proceeds. Further, the double click on the
original hyperlink appears to get a new instance of IE8 *32 running but no
window for it, so after a number of occurrences task manager shows a set of
these tasks running. I can find no information of any error encountered by
IE8.

Rob

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking
Oldster <Jonathan.Bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> replies, and nothing works. The problem as I see it concerns the "copy" of a
> hyperlink especially to download a file. Double click on the link does
> nothing. If I right click on the link, select copy, and paste it into a new
> IE8 window, then the download proceeds. Further, the double click on the
> original hyperlink appears to get a new instance of IE8 *32 running but no

Wait a moment... to open a link in a web browser you should not
double click on it! Use a single click. Maybe that works?
Oldster

Re: Hyperlinks Not Linking

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Oldster <Jonathan.Bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> replies, and nothing works. The problem as I see it concerns the "copy"
>> of a
>> hyperlink especially to download a file. Double click on the link does
>> nothing. If I right click on the link, select copy, and paste it into a
>> new
>> IE8 window, then the download proceeds. Further, the double click on the
>> original hyperlink appears to get a new instance of IE8 *32 running but
>> no

> Wait a moment... to open a link in a web browser you should not
> double click on it! Use a single click. Maybe that works?

You are right! How stupid of me. I'll try some of the other failures
I've been having.