Bing maps won't work

Don

Bing maps won't work
Bing maps is non functional on my PC with either IE 8 or Firefox 3.6. I
get only a blank white box with no map display. If I click on the start
bing maps link, I get the dialog box that states I have the latest
Silverlight installed, with a "start" button - over and over again, it never
goes any further.

I apologize if this isn't the right group - I can't seem to find one that
fits.

Thanks,

Don

Re: Bing maps won't work
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

Don wrote:
> Bing maps is non functional on my PC with either IE 8 or Firefox 3.6. I
> get only a blank white box with no map display. If I click on the start
> bing maps link, I get the dialog box that states I have the latest
> Silverlight installed, with a "start" button - over and over again, it
> never
> goes any further.
>
> I apologize if this isn't the right group - I can't seem to find one that
> fits.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don

Don

Re: Bing maps won't work
I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702
Thanks,
Don

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
> next reply.
>
> Don wrote:
>> Bing maps is non functional on my PC with either IE 8 or Firefox 3.6.
>> get only a blank white box with no map display. If I click on the start
>> bing maps link, I get the dialog box that states I have the latest
>> Silverlight installed, with a "start" button - over and over again, it
>> never
>> goes any further.
>>
>> I apologize if this isn't the right group - I can't seem to find one that
>> fits.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Don

Re: Bing maps won't work
Do you encounter this behavior when viewing Bing Maps in 2D (vs. 3D)? I ask
because I don't have Silverlight installed and see no Silverlight prompts at
or when using http://www.bing.com/maps.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?

Silverlight Support Forum: http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx

Don wrote:
> I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>> version
>> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
>> next reply.
>>
>> Don wrote:
>>> Bing maps is non functional on my PC with either IE 8 or Firefox 3.6. I
>>> get only a blank white box with no map display. If I click on the start
>>> bing maps link, I get the dialog box that states I have the latest
>>> Silverlight installed, with a "start" button - over and over again, it
>>> never goes any further.

rob^_^

Re: Bing maps won't work
Hi Don, (excuse me Robear for butting in....)

"I
>>> get only a blank white box with no map display. " in both FX and IE

Indicates that you have Silverlight disabled.

Is this on a work computer? One way of disabling silverlight in both IE and
FX is by Group Policy, which your network administrators control.

There is only one other tool that I know of that can disable Silverlight...
did you recently install any IE Addons? Check the options of those Addons to
see if they have an option to enable/disable silverlight.

(running IE in no-Addons mode won't fix this issue though).

Here is a test page that I use to determine if it is enabled or not...

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vis...rTestPage.html

I could also be a problem with the Bing web site you are visiting.... can
you post back with the web address of the map you are trying to view... Live
is in the process of being re-branded to Bing, so more than likely some
things may not work as expected on the new domains.

Oh, also you may find that Maps of Military installations and the like may
be blocked from public viewing.

Post back if still no luck. I have a registry script to enable Silverlight
for you.

Regards.

"Don" <Don@notvalid.com> wrote in message
> I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702
> Thanks,
> Don

>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>> version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so
>> in your next reply.
>>
>> Don wrote:
>>> Bing maps is non functional on my PC with either IE 8 or Firefox 3.6. I
>>> get only a blank white box with no map display. If I click on the start
>>> bing maps link, I get the dialog box that states I have the latest
>>> Silverlight installed, with a "start" button - over and over again, it
>>> never
>>> goes any further.
>>>
>>> I apologize if this isn't the right group - I can't seem to find one
>>> that
>>> fits.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Don

Don

Re: Bing maps won't work
PA Bear- Thanks!

The first link you provided works in both IE and in Firefox. I am saving it
in each.

I still have a similar problem if I search in Bing and then click the maps
tab, which takes me here:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...-US&FORM=BYFD#
Its not quite the behavior though, now it returns a map but no further
control is possible - no pan, no zoom, no update for a new location.

Here are answers to the rest of your questions - just to document the
problem, I don't need any further follow-up.

1) I get the same behavior in the No Add-On mode.
2) I already reset all IE settings to their default states, this did not
work.
3) I am using CA Security Suite for both antivirus and firewall and it is
current. I have never had McAfee or Norton on this computer. It was likely
running when I updated to IE8, but I don't remember specifically.
4) I have never used McAfee or Norton on this computer.

Thanks again,

Don

> Do you encounter this behavior when viewing Bing Maps in 2D (vs. 3D)? I
> ask because I don't have Silverlight installed and see no Silverlight
> prompts at or when using http://www.bing.com/maps.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
> & IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> Silverlight Support Forum: http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx
>
> Don wrote:
>> I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702
>>
>>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>>> SP2;
>>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>>> version
>>> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
>>> next reply.

Don

Re: Bing maps won't work
Rob,

Thank you also. Your link opens and looks great - I assume that means
Silverlight is properly enabled.
See my answer above - I think I have the solution and don't need any further
assistance.

Don

> Hi Don, (excuse me Robear for butting in....)
>
> "I

> Indicates that you have Silverlight disabled.
>
> Is this on a work computer? One way of disabling silverlight in both IE
> and FX is by Group Policy, which your network administrators control.
>
> There is only one other tool that I know of that can disable
> Silverlight... did you recently install any IE Addons? Check the options
> of those Addons to see if they have an option to enable/disable
> silverlight.
>
> (running IE in no-Addons mode won't fix this issue though).
>
> Here is a test page that I use to determine if it is enabled or not...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/express/vis...rTestPage.html
>
> I could also be a problem with the Bing web site you are visiting.... can
> you post back with the web address of the map you are trying to view...
> Live is in the process of being re-branded to Bing, so more than likely
> some things may not work as expected on the new domains.
>
> Oh, also you may find that Maps of Military installations and the like may
> be blocked from public viewing.
>
> Post back if still no luck. I have a registry script to enable Silverlight
> for you.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Don" <Don@notvalid.com> wrote in message
>> I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702
>> Thanks,
>> Don

>>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>>> SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>>> version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so
>>> in your next reply.

Re: Bing maps won't work
[inline]

rob^_^ wrote:
> Hi Don, (excuse me Robear for butting in....)

Be my guest!

> Indicates that you have Silverlight disabled.

<snip>

Who knew? I don't have Silverlight installed: What part of Bing Maps
requires Silverlight?
--
~Robear, Official WinXP/IE7 Luddite

Re: Bing maps won't work
You're welcome. IN RE your new question, I have no idea what's going on
there.

Don wrote:
> PA Bear- Thanks!
>
> The first link you provided works in both IE and in Firefox. I am saving
> it
> in each.
>
> I still have a similar problem if I search in Bing and then click the maps
> tab, which takes me here:
> http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...-US&FORM=BYFD#
> Its not quite the behavior though, now it returns a map but no further
> control is possible - no pan, no zoom, no update for a new location.
>
> Here are answers to the rest of your questions - just to document the
> problem, I don't need any further follow-up.
>
> 1) I get the same behavior in the No Add-On mode.
> 2) I already reset all IE settings to their default states, this did not
> work.
> 3) I am using CA Security Suite for both antivirus and firewall and it is
> current. I have never had McAfee or Norton on this computer. It was
> likely
> running when I updated to IE8, but I don't remember specifically.
> 4) I have never used McAfee or Norton on this computer.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Don

>> Do you encounter this behavior when viewing Bing Maps in 2D (vs. 3D)? I
>> ask because I don't have Silverlight installed and see no Silverlight
>> prompts at or when using http://www.bing.com/maps.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> & IE8 in all OSS]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> Silverlight Support Forum: http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx
>>
>> Don wrote:
>>> I am using Win XP SP3 32 bit and IE 8.0.6001.18702

rob^_^

Re: Bing maps won't work
Bing Maps+Silverlight?

Don't know.... I was only assuming it was something new that was being
rolled out on a regional basis..

lets c at bing en-au.... ha! I get a blank map also.... Its Sunday US
time.... it must be raining in the cloud on the weekend. Nope... not
here.... (in au) only bing/maps en-us. (bing maps always redirects me to my
regional servers regardless of my browser settings.)

The OP issue must have been a server maintenance thing. Some cloud
reconfigurations while the Oscars are on.