Outlook 2007 Email Links

Curtis Family

Outlook 2007 Email Links
I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I recently
developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook 2007.
Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a box
pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is really a
url.

[see error here]
http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg

In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not being
set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults, it
does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However, I
don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work from
other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not sure if
there is an error with Outlook only.

--
"I am not limited to the scope of my eyes, but rather to the range of my
skies!"
rob^_^

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
Hi Curtis,

No... the links are malformed... the person who sent you the email did not
test to see if they worked before sending it to you.

snip.

"Windows cannot open this file:

File: 01/

Tell them not to send you file names with '/' characters in them... (I don't
know how they could be doing that.. Windows stops you from using certain
characters in file names)

Use underscores "_" for spaces and forward slashes instead in file names.

eg. tell them to 01/01/2010 Data.txt rename to 01_01_2010_Data.txt

"Curtis Family" <CurtisFamily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I
> recently
> developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook
> 2007.
> Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a box
> pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is really
> url.
>
> [see error here]
> http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg
>
> In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not
> being
> set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults,
> it
> does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However, I
> don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work
> from
> other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not sure
> if
> there is an error with Outlook only.
>
> --
> "I am not limited to the scope of my eyes, but rather to the range of my
> skies!"

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
Is Firefox or another alternate browser also installed?

Are you configuring the Brower and Email defaults in the CUSTOM
(<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults?

Curtis Family wrote:
> I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I
> recently
> developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook
> 2007.
> Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a box
> pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is really
> url.
>
> [see error here]
> http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg
>
> In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not
> being
> set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults,
> it
> does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However, I
> don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work
> from
> other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not sure
> if there is an error with Outlook only.

Curtis Family

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
There is no other browser installed. How would I do custom configuration. The
previous reply indicates that the links are malformed but this applies to all
links regardless of the sender. That would lead me to believe that is more of
a problem within my system configuration rather than the link itself as I am
able to open them on another computer in my home.
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Firefox or another alternate browser also installed?
>
> Are you configuring the Brower and Email defaults in the CUSTOM
> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Curtis Family wrote:
> > I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I
> > recently
> > developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook
> > 2007.
> > Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a box
> > pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is really
> > url.
> >
> > [see error here]
> > http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg
> >
> > In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not
> > being
> > set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults,
> > it
> > does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However, I
> > don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work
> > from
> > other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not sure
> > if there is an error with Outlook only.

> .

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
Change which programs Windows uses by default:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ses-by-default

Change default programs using Set Program Access and Computer Defaults:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...puter-Defaults

Fix for Application not found error when opening a hyperlink or URL (similar
error)
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...pening-an-url/

Curtis Family wrote:
> There is no other browser installed. How would I do custom configuration.
> The previous reply indicates that the links are malformed but this applies
> to all links regardless of the sender. That would lead me to believe that
> is more of a problem within my system configuration rather than the link
> itself as I am able to open them on another computer in my home.
>
>> Is Firefox or another alternate browser also installed?
>>
>> Are you configuring the Brower and Email defaults in the CUSTOM
>> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Curtis Family wrote:
>>> I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I
>>> recently
>>> developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook
>>> 2007.
>>> Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a
>>> box
>>> pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is
>>> really
>>> a
>>> url.
>>>
>>> [see error here]
>>> http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg
>>>
>>> In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not
>>> being
>>> set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults,
>>> it
>>> does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However,
>>> don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work
>>> from
>>> other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not
>>> sure
>>> if there is an error with Outlook only.

>> .

lkholcombe

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
I have a similiar problem and only with files attached that are file001.jpg .
On top of that previous emails with this that I used to be able to open are
now no longer able to be opened either. It is not the sender who is the
problem it is only those files labeled that way and the error says that there
is an error in the image previewer. I have tried to repair my outlook but it
still won't work and this problem appeared in the middle of a day when I had
no updates or changes made to any of my programs. One minute I could open
the file and the next email I couldnt preview the next one with the same name.

I will try the fix listed in next reply and let you know what happens.

"Curtis Family" wrote:

> There is no other browser installed. How would I do custom configuration. The
> previous reply indicates that the links are malformed but this applies to all
> links regardless of the sender. That would lead me to believe that is more of
> a problem within my system configuration rather than the link itself as I am
> able to open them on another computer in my home.
> --
> "I am not limited to the scope of my eyes, but rather to the range of my
> skies!"
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Is Firefox or another alternate browser also installed?
> >
> > Are you configuring the Brower and Email defaults in the CUSTOM
> > (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > Curtis Family wrote:
> > > I am running Vista Home Basic SP2 and MS Office Enterprise 2007. I
> > > recently
> > > developed a problem when clicking on the links in my emails in Outlook
> > > 2007.
> > > Instead of redirecting to IE8, the link is treated like a file and a box
> > > pops up that requires a program association for the "file" which is really
> > > url.
> > >
> > > [see error here]
> > > http://cid-a507b3e76f1b727b.skydrive...ok%20error.jpg
> > >
> > > In researching discussions it appears that this may be due to IE8 not
> > > being
> > > set as default, but when I try to set it as so through Program Defaults,
> > > it
> > > does not remain and Outlook does not remain as default email. However, I
> > > don't have another browser installed so I am not sure why. Links work
> > > from
> > > other Office apps like Word and Excel but not in Outlook, so I am not sure
> > > if there is an error with Outlook only.

> > .

lkholcombe

Re: Outlook 2007 Email Links
All my defaults were already set the way they should have been. I undid and
redid all of them and restarted the computer but those same file001.jpg still
cannot be previewed or opened now, including ones that had previously been
opened without problem.

Still looking for an answer to this previewer problem. Considering
uninstalling and reinstalling outlook but dont want to lose all my emails.