IE7- Cookies and TIFs

Larry B

IE7- Cookies and TIFs
I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits from
good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still vulnerable
to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is considered to be
dicey?

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
I delete my files and cookies everytime I close IE. There's a setting to do
this in TOOLS>OPTIONS.

"Larry B" <iHateSpam@nospam.gov> wrote in message
news:fLCdnRcpSOc3Dw_WnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
>I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
>could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
>prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits
>from good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still
>vulnerable to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is
>considered to be dicey?

Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
Set your TIF folder size ("disk space to use") to 100 MB or less and don't
worry about it.

Larry B wrote:
> I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
> could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
> prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits
> from
> good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still
> vulnerable
> to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is considered to be
> dicey?

Kyler_IE8_Team is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
Another tip to keep TIF folder from filling up would be to run InPrivate browsing mode, which allows IE8 to browse without picking up any TIFs. Here is a link to better explain how it works. Also, a link to download IE8 if you aren't already running it.
What is InPrivate Browsing?
Internet Explorer 8 download instructions

Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post

Larry B wrote:
> I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
> could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
> prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits
> from
> good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still
> vulnerable
> to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is considered to be
> dicey?
Larry B

Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
Thanks for the "limit" tip. When it hits the limit, does it erase existing
for the new or just ignore the new?

Regarding IE8, I still prefer the interface of IE6 best so am using IE7 as a
compromise. I will get to IE8 eventually, but meanwhile, thanks to all for
the assist.

In the case of deleting the TIFs upon closing IE, does it cause pages to
take longer to load or is the lag insignificant?

Lar

> Set your TIF folder size ("disk space to use") to 100 MB or less and don't
> worry about it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Larry B wrote:
>> I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
>> could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
>> prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits
>> from
>> good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still
>> vulnerable
>> to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is considered to
>> be
>> dicey?

Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
A1. When "it hits the limit," the oldest data is overwritten by the new
data.

A2. Suit yourself.

A3. I'd very much doubt it but YMMV.

Larry B wrote:
> Thanks for the "limit" tip. When it hits the limit, does it erase existing
> for the new or just ignore the new?
>
> Regarding IE8, I still prefer the interface of IE6 best so am using IE7 as
> compromise. I will get to IE8 eventually, but meanwhile, thanks to all for
> the assist.
>
> In the case of deleting the TIFs upon closing IE, does it cause pages to
> take longer to load or is the lag insignificant?
>
> Lar

>> Set your TIF folder size ("disk space to use") to 100 MB or less and
>> don't
>> worry about it.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Larry B wrote:
>>> I have used IE for a long time and having a lot of TIFs on the computer
>>> could slow down or crash Windows. Deleting the TIF folder from a commad
>>> prompt was considered prudent for a while. Besides the logical benefits
>>> from
>>> good general maintenance, is IE (IE 6, 7 or 8) and Windows still
>>> vulnerable
>>> to too many TIFs and/or cookies? If so, about how many is considered to
>>> be
>>> dicey?

Larry B

Re: IE7- Cookies and TIFs
Thanks!! I appreciate your taking the time to provide assistance.