Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen

Jhnn

Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen
I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites are
starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu bars
now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I need to
use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I don't want to lose
space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger. After looking
around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen which gives me
more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens at the bottom of
the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an entire row only.

How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had before
(in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom of
the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
access this? Thank you.
FrankV

Re: Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen
RightClick an open area in the bar and unclick McAfee bar an click the menu
bar. Then click customize and make other changes. You can get it closer to
what it used to look like.

Frank

"Jhnn" <Jhnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites
>are
> starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu
> bars
> now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I need
> use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I don't want to lose
> space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger. After
> looking
> around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen which gives me
> more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens at the bottom of
> the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an entire row only.
>
> How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had
> before
> (in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom
> of
> the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
> access this? Thank you.

Re: Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen
You will find that many third-party toolbars (e.g., McAfee; Google; Yahoo)
have their own, very stubborn idea of where they should be located in the
IE7 (and IE8) toolbar. Your best bet is to uninstall all of them then do
clean install of the one or two toolbars you just can't LIVE without having.

PS: If the McAfee toolbar is Site Advisor, I'd recommend replacing it with
WOT toolbar: www.mywot.com

Jhnn wrote:
> I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites
> are starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu
> bars now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I
> need to use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I don't want
> to lose space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger.
> After looking around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen
> which gives me more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens
> at
> the bottom of the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an
> entire row only.
>
> How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had
> before
> (in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom
> of
> the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
> access this? Thank you.

Jeff Strickland

Re: Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen

"Jhnn" <Jhnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites
>are
> starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu
> bars
> now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I need
> use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I don't want to lose
> space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger. After
> looking
> around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen which gives me
> more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens at the bottom of
> the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an entire row only.
>
> How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had
> before
> (in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom
> of
> the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
> access this? Thank you.

Sadly, the days of the IE6 Toolbar are gone forever. You can't get the same
look and feel of IE6 with IE7 or IE8.

You can Right Click in the area of the toolbar and select the various bars
you want to see. I use the Menu, Command, and Status Bars, and then select
Lock Tool Bar in hopes that new bars don't intrude. You can Customize the
buttons on the Command Bar to get the features you want.

Kyler_IE8_Team

RE: Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen
Good suggestion Jeff, here is a link with some more toolbar customization
tips:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-toolbars

While IE8 might take some getting used to from IE6, it is a strong
improvement over the older versions, give it some time and I think you will
find its the best IE yet.

Cheers,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

"Jhnn" wrote:

> I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites are
> starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu bars
> now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I need to
> use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I don't want to lose
> space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger. After looking
> around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen which gives me
> more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens at the bottom of
> the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an entire row only.
>
> How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had before
> (in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom of
> the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
> access this? Thank you.

bug menot

IE8 User Interface LESS Customizable
Quote: "While IE8 might take some getting used to from IE6, it is a strong improvement over the older versions, give it some time and I think you will find its the best IE yet."

What a crock. Nothing like going BACKWARDS in user-choice and UI customization. Nothing like breaking user familiarity. Nothing like hard-coding the location of back/forward buttons and other PREVIOUSLY flexible UI elements. What a crock. Microjerks deserve harsh critcism and the public needs to be informed.

"Give it a try" --- how 'bout microsoft giving UI Customization and Flexibility a try. Idiots.

Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:

Good suggestion Jeff, here is a link with some more toolbar
11-Mar-10

Good suggestion Jeff, here is a link with some more toolbar customization
tips:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-toolbars

While IE8 might take some getting used to from IE6, it is a strong
improvement over the older versions, give it some time and I think you will
find its the best IE yet.

Cheers,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

"Jhnn" wrote:

On Saturday, March 06, 2010 9:40 AM
Jhnn wrote:

Adjusting menu bars at top of IE 8 screen
I just downloaded IE 8 after using IE 6 for many years because many sites are
starting to require a more up to date browser. It seems that the menu bars
now take up more space at the top of the screen and the things that I need to
use (home page, etc) are smaller and harder to find. I do not want to lose
space at the top of the screen and make the ions I use larger. After looking
around I noticed that under tools I can select full screen which gives me
more space but then I lose my boxes for different screens at the bottom of
the screen. Also there is a McAfee bar that takes up an entire row only.

How can I get the icons and space to look more similar to what I had before
(in IE 6) without looing the ability to see my screen boxes at the bottom of
the screen? I have not been able to find the history button - how can I
access this? Thank you.

On Saturday, March 06, 2010 11:22 AM
FrankV wrote:

RightClick an open area in the bar and unclick McAfee bar an click the
RightClick an open area in the bar and unclick McAfee bar an click the menu
bar. Then click customize and make other changes. You can get it closer to
what it used to look like.

Frank

On Saturday, March 06, 2010 1:07 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

You will find that many third-party toolbars (e.g.
You will find that many third-party toolbars (e.g., McAfee; Google; Yahoo)
have their own, very stubborn idea of where they should be located in the
IE7 (and IE8) toolbar. Your best bet is to uninstall all of them then do
clean install of the one or two toolbars you just cannot LIVE without having.

PS: If the McAfee toolbar is Site Advisor, I'd recommend replacing it with
WOT toolbar: www.mywot.com

Jhnn wrote:

On Saturday, March 06, 2010 2:09 PM
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Sadly, the days of the IE6 Toolbar are gone forever.
Sadly, the days of the IE6 Toolbar are gone forever. You cannot get the same
look and feel of IE6 with IE7 or IE8.

You can Right Click in the area of the toolbar and select the various bars
you want to see. I use the Menu, Command, and Status Bars, and then select
Lock Tool Bar in hopes that new bars do not intrude. You can Customize the
buttons on the Command Bar to get the features you want.

On Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:33 PM
Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:

Good suggestion Jeff, here is a link with some more toolbar
Good suggestion Jeff, here is a link with some more toolbar customization
tips:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-toolbars

While IE8 might take some getting used to from IE6, it is a strong
improvement over the older versions, give it some time and I think you will
find its the best IE yet.

Cheers,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

"Jhnn" wrote:

Entity Framework 4.0 POCO-First development and POCO Template
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-template.aspx
rob^_^

Re: IE8 User Interface LESS Customizable
No Microjerks here. try feedback.microsoft.com. This is a public NG, we are
volunteers and enthusiasts and have no consideration from or covenants with
MS.

If your Peeved, join the band. They are in Seattle also.

"What a crock" gives your nationality away. DAFY