Where is Active X "Enable"?

Ray

Where is Active X "Enable"?
WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8

When I try to download a program from a website I often get the message to click on the
yellow bar. I am on my sixth computer and have never seen a yellow bar. There is a
dialog bar telling me to click "here" because the site is trying to download a file. I
click and the process starts but soon a new message says it cannot download the file. I
have tried to locate where to enable Active X but "Help" and "Search" don't give me any
information. I was told to try clicking on the Explorer icon "Properties" where there
will be a check box to enable Active X. I do that but no Active X is listed.

I have read pros and cons regarding the use of Active X but it looks like some sites won't
run without it. How is a person to know?

--
Ray

Rob

Re: Where is Active X "Enable"?
Ray <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote:
> I have read pros and cons regarding the use of Active X but it looks like some sites won't
> run without it. How is a person to know?

Use another browser, one that does not support Active X.
(i.e. almost any other browser that is not MSIE)

Then, see if your site still works.

Re: Where is Active X "Enable"?
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?