Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore

Dominik

Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore
Hi!

I am experiencing the problem that when I click with the middle mouse button
on a link (for example google search results) it does not always open it in a
new tab anymore. In about 20% of the cases it takes over the current tab
instead.

The same problem is explained here in german:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=DE&sloc=&p=1

But since there was no answer found so far I decided to take it to the next
level (english community...).

The findings so far:

- it is not the mouse
- it is not a single PC (various PCs have been tested)
- it is not the Windows (Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 have been
tested)
- it is not the mouse-driver, the IE-Settings (new installation; no add-ons)
and not due to security software

-> it must be connected to the mouse-button-function since the problem never
appears when using CTRL+Leftclick

Probably the problem was caused by a security update but so far it couldn't
be determinded which one and therefore it couldn't be confirmed that this is
the cause.

Any help is very appreciated!

Kind regards
Dominik
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore

"Dominik" <Dominik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am experiencing the problem that when I click with the middle mouse
> button
> on a link (for example google search results) it does not always open it
> in a
> new tab anymore. In about 20% of the cases it takes over the current tab
> instead.
>
> The same problem is explained here in german:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=DE&sloc=&p=1

and from another Dominic,

2/17/2010 3:00 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...f-e3654071587f

BTW search on the MS Communities is FUBAR. I found this by knowing it was
there and going back to that date.

---

> But since there was no answer found so far I decided to take it to the
> next
> level (english community...).
>
> The findings so far:
>
> - it is not the mouse
> - it is not a single PC (various PCs have been tested)
> - it is not the Windows (Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 have been
> tested)
> - it is not the mouse-driver, the IE-Settings (new installation; no
> add-ons)
> and not due to security software
>
> -> it must be connected to the mouse-button-function since the problem
> never
> appears when using CTRL+Leftclick
>

> Probably the problem was caused by a security update but so far it
> couldn't
> be determinded which one and therefore it couldn't be confirmed that this
> is
> the cause.
>

> Any help is very appreciated!
>
> Kind regards
> Dominik

bmason101 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore
Yes this is an annoying problem with IE 8 at the moment. Not sure if it is any help to anyone, but if you rely on Tabbed Browsing. Hold down the Left CTRL key and click on the link you want to tab browse, it's easier than right clicking and selecting open in new tab. Hoepfully someone finds the solution to this soon it drives me nuts.

Re: Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore
[Vistaheads.com posts are an annoyance, too.]