IE8 and Firefox can't load pages without refresh

Bob L

IE8 and Firefox can't load pages without refresh
I've got two XP desktop computers and one Vista laptop computer connected to
a Linksys router and then to Comcast internet through a cable modem. In
the last few weeks the two XP computers have had difficulty loading web
pages and often require several refreshes before a page is loaded. The
problem is erratic and sometimes the pages load just fine. The problem
seems to be independent of which browser is used and happens with both
Firefox and IE8.

On the other hand, Outlook 2003 works with no problems at all on both XP
computers and other programs like Google Earth work normally. The laptop
seems to work with no problems. I've changed the router and today exchanged
the modem but the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and Firefox can't load pages without refresh
"Bob L" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've got two XP desktop computers and one Vista laptop computer connected
> a Linksys router and then to Comcast internet through a cable modem. In
> the last few weeks the two XP computers have had difficulty loading web
> pages and often require several refreshes before a page is loaded. The
> problem is erratic and sometimes the pages load just fine. The problem
> seems to be independent of which browser is used and happens with both
> Firefox and IE8.
>
> On the other hand, Outlook 2003 works with no problems at all on both XP
> computers and other programs like Google Earth work normally. The laptop
> seems to work with no problems. I've changed the router and today
> exchanged
> the modem but the problem persists.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried clearing the TIF? You could also try clearing the dnscache
(e.g. using ipconfig /flushdns) and then priming it for IE with the reverse
lookups that a ping -n 1 would do. Note that in the case of a host alias
you have to ping the canonical name to get the A-record cached too. Works
for me when things get slow and then eventually return to normal.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Dan

Re: IE8 and Firefox can't load pages without refresh

"Bob L" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've got two XP desktop computers and one Vista laptop computer connected
> a Linksys router and then to Comcast internet through a cable modem. In
> the last few weeks the two XP computers have had difficulty loading web
> pages and often require several refreshes before a page is loaded. The
> problem is erratic and sometimes the pages load just fine. The problem
> seems to be independent of which browser is used and happens with both
> Firefox and IE8.
>
> On the other hand, Outlook 2003 works with no problems at all on both XP
> computers and other programs like Google Earth work normally. The laptop
> seems to work with no problems. I've changed the router and today
> exchanged
> the modem but the problem persists.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suspect a DNS issue, but you've given very little to go on. Given
that it happens with Firefox as well as IE it's obviously not an IE problem,
you'd be better off posting in a windows networking group.

--
Dan