IE 8 and IE7 dual installation

Nitram

IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
I have a brand new build on my test computer - XP Pro SVP 3 with IE 8.

I need to install IE 7 for testing purposes, but cannot uninstall IE 8.
Attempting to install IE 7 fails because a newer version is installed.

How do I solve this problem? I can't be the only wanting to do it:-)

Thanks,
Martin Harris
Jeff Strickland

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation

"Nitram" <Nitram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new build on my test computer - XP Pro SVP 3 with IE 8.
>
> I need to install IE 7 for testing purposes, but cannot uninstall IE 8.
> Attempting to install IE 7 fails because a newer version is installed.
>
> How do I solve this problem? I can't be the only wanting to do it:-)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin Harris

Why can't you Uninstall IE8?

I guess it doesn't matter, you can't have two versions of IE loaded at the
same time. You have to Uninstall one to install the other.

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
Install WinXP SP3 running IE7 on a separate partition.

Nitram wrote:
> I have a brand new build on my test computer - XP Pro SVP 3 with IE 8.
>
> I need to install IE 7 for testing purposes, but cannot uninstall IE 8.
> Attempting to install IE 7 fails because a newer version is installed.
>
> How do I solve this problem? I can't be the only wanting to do it:-)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin Harris

thecreator

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
Hi Martin Harris,

You have a brand new computer with Windows XP Professional with Service
Pack 3 which might mean that the computer was preloaded with the operating
system.

The only way to get Internet Explorer 7 installed is to create a
seperate partition large enough to hold a seperate operating system of
Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed.

What probably happened is that they installed Windows XP Professional
with Service Pack 2. They might have installed Internet Explorer 8, then
upgraded to Service Pack 3.

If you can uninstall Service Pack 3, then uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
Reboot and reinstall Service Pack 3 and reboot before you install Internet
Explorer 7, you won't have problems switching between the two versions of
Internet Explorer 7 and 8 for testing.

--
thecreator

"Nitram" <Nitram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new build on my test computer - XP Pro SVP 3 with IE 8.
>
> I need to install IE 7 for testing purposes, but cannot uninstall IE 8.
> Attempting to install IE 7 fails because a newer version is installed.
>
> How do I solve this problem? I can't be the only wanting to do it:-)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin Harris

C A Upsdell

On 2010-03-04 20:56, thecreator wrote:
> Hi Martin Harris,
> The only way to get Internet Explorer 7 installed is to create a
> seperate partition large enough to hold a seperate operating system of
> Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed.

The other way to get multiple versions of IE installed on a PC is to use
Microsoft's free Virtual PC facility, for which Microsoft offers free
images. For details see:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-73D0A413C8EF

Rob

thecreator <thecreator@home.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin Harris,
>
> You have a brand new computer with Windows XP Professional with Service
> Pack 3 which might mean that the computer was preloaded with the operating
> system.
>
> The only way to get Internet Explorer 7 installed is to create a
> seperate partition large enough to hold a seperate operating system of
> Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed.
>
> What probably happened is that they installed Windows XP Professional
> with Service Pack 2. They might have installed Internet Explorer 8, then
> upgraded to Service Pack 3.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO relation between the service pack (2 or 3) and
the Internet Explorer version (7 or 8).
Internet Explorer is not part of the service pack.

You can run Internet Explorer 7 on SP3 without any problem.

Of course, because the browser is not a properly separated application,
you cannot install multiple IE versions on the same machine. You will
need to resort to tricks like multiple partitions, virtual machines, etc.
thecreator

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
Hi Rob,

If you install Internet Explorer 8, before you install Windows XP
Service Pack 3, you can't uninstall Internet Explorer 8, unless you
uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I know, cause I tried it. I am posting from experience.

--
thecreator

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message

> There is ABSOLUTELY NO relation between the service pack (2 or 3) and
> the Internet Explorer version (7 or 8).
> Internet Explorer is not part of the service pack.
>
> You can run Internet Explorer 7 on SP3 without any problem.
>
> Of course, because the browser is not a properly separated application,
> you cannot install multiple IE versions on the same machine. You will
> need to resort to tricks like multiple partitions, virtual machines, etc.

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
What's that got to do with the OP's post?

thecreator wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> If you install Internet Explorer 8, before you install Windows XP
> Service Pack 3, you can't uninstall Internet Explorer 8, unless you
> uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3.
>
> I know, cause I tried it. I am posting from experience.
>

>> There is ABSOLUTELY NO relation between the service pack (2 or 3) and
>> the Internet Explorer version (7 or 8).
>> Internet Explorer is not part of the service pack.
>>
>> You can run Internet Explorer 7 on SP3 without any problem.
>>
>> Of course, because the browser is not a properly separated application,
>> you cannot install multiple IE versions on the same machine. You will
>> need to resort to tricks like multiple partitions, virtual machines, etc.

Rob

Re: IE 8 and IE7 dual installation
thecreator <thecreator@home.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> If you install Internet Explorer 8, before you install Windows XP
> Service Pack 3, you can't uninstall Internet Explorer 8, unless you
> uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3.
>
> I know, cause I tried it. I am posting from experience.

I never claimed anything related to that. No one should have waited
to install SP3 until after they installed IE8, I think. SP3 has been
released long ago and I have never found a reason not to install it.
(other than the FUD about problems spread on the internet, problems
I have never seen)