IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can

Kolohe Wiz

IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can
When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how
many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.

Asus P5E
Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
NIS 2010 (all up to date)
--
When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browserscan
I have no trouble accessing the Microsoft Office website with my copy of
IE 8. And I'm not an MVP or a Microsoft employee, either.

Not sure if you're actually looking for help or just ranting. If you're
actually looking for help, you'll need to provide more information.

Are you using the 32- or 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 8?
Does "the Microsoft Office page" have a URL?
Is that the only URL where you have a problem?

Have you tried this:

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If you break off the fender on your Subaru, buying a Hyundai won't fix it.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kolohe Wiz wrote:
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.
>
> Asus P5E
> Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
> 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
> Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
> NIS 2010 (all up to date)

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can
If MSoft has composed it's page(s) with Flash Content, then the 64-bit
version of IE will not display that content. You have to use the 32-bit
version of IE instead of the 64-bit version.

"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news31BBBFA-7124-4E7A-8AED-638DC2789798@microsoft.com...
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting
> the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite
> how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.
>
> Asus P5E
> Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
> 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
> Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
> NIS 2010 (all up to date)
> --
> When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can
"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news31BBBFA-7124-4E7A-8AED-638DC2789798@microsoft.com...
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting
> the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite
> how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.

I've seen that. It seems to be related to slow DNS. When it happens I
switch to an elevated cmd window and do an ipconfig /flushdns then
enough ping -n 1 to prime the dnscache to get IE going. It's possible
that the other browsers have different timeouts for this case or already
have the DNS lookups for the problem sites cached themselves but I know of
no tuning parameter either for IE or in the OS which can help other than a
manual workaround like this. BTW yesterday it was so bad that even the
ping's reverse lookups timed out, so that made it very clear what the
problem was. Eventually things started working again.

---