Favorites

JLMcCabes

Favorites
XP Pro - Svc Pack 3 Not sure about IE8 - favorites just went away - replaced
by 20 or more "mommy coupons" (?). I have tried several times to bring back
favorites backed up in another directory. It wants them to be HTMLs. I can
go to the other directory, see all the favorites, with icons, click on one
and go to that site. so I know they are valid and do work. Where does IE8
keep favorites and I can try to overwrite them - copy & paste - from one
directory to another. Any ideas greatly appreciated and will try.

Leonard Grey

Re: Favorites
Am I supposed to know what a "mommy coupon" is?

When you ask about Internet Explorer, it's really important to say what
version of Internet Explorer you have. (If you ask a mechanic about your
car, she needs to know more than "It's a Ford.")

On the basis of the information you provided, it appears likely that
computer has been infected with adware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JLMcCabes wrote:
> XP Pro - Svc Pack 3 Not sure about IE8 - favorites just went away - replaced
> by 20 or more "mommy coupons" (?). I have tried several times to bring back
> favorites backed up in another directory. It wants them to be HTMLs. I can
> go to the other directory, see all the favorites, with icons, click on one
> and go to that site. so I know they are valid and do work. Where does IE8
> keep favorites and I can try to overwrite them - copy & paste - from one
> directory to another. Any ideas greatly appreciated and will try.

Don Varnau

Re: Favorites
Hi,
Your favorites in XP should be located at C:\Documents and settings\your
account name\Favorites.

If, from Start> Run, you type in "shell:Favorites" [Enter or OK] does the
Favorites folder open?

Really curious about the "mommy coupons." Can you provide more information?
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4b8fd7f2$0$20988$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
> XP Pro - Svc Pack 3 Not sure about IE8 - favorites just went away -

replaced
> by 20 or more "mommy coupons" (?). I have tried several times to bring

back
> favorites backed up in another directory. It wants them to be HTMLs. I

can
> go to the other directory, see all the favorites, with icons, click on one
> and go to that site. so I know they are valid and do work. Where does

IE8
> keep favorites and I can try to overwrite them - copy & paste - from one
> directory to another. Any ideas greatly appreciated and will try.

JLMcCabes

Re: Favorites
Actually it opened in my E drive that is supposed to be backup only - not
this stuff. Acronis may have been playing games and backing it up ther by
mistake.
NOW if I can figure out 1.) tell IE 8 where the favorites are 2.) move
my good favorites into the c:\docs & settings\user\favorites and say a
prayer..
I CANNOT provide more info on the mommy coupons, if this was a more
restricted site I would give my personal opinion. Since I am almost 70,
little need for mommy's coupons..
Unless they sell some VERY LARGE diapers I am told will need in a few
years..
har har har

> Hi,
> Your favorites in XP should be located at C:\Documents and settings\your
> account name\Favorites.
>
> If, from Start> Run, you type in "shell:Favorites" [Enter or OK] does the
> Favorites folder open?
>
> Really curious about the "mommy coupons." Can you provide more
> information?
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4b8fd7f2$0$20988$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
>> XP Pro - Svc Pack 3 Not sure about IE8 - favorites just went away -

> replaced
>> by 20 or more "mommy coupons" (?). I have tried several times to bring

> back
>> favorites backed up in another directory. It wants them to be HTMLs. I

> can
>> go to the other directory, see all the favorites, with icons, click on
>> one
>> and go to that site. so I know they are valid and do work. Where does

> IE8
>> keep favorites and I can try to overwrite them - copy & paste - from one
>> directory to another. Any ideas greatly appreciated and will try.

Don Varnau

Re: Favorites
Hi,
From Control Panel> Folder Options> View, check "Show hidden files and
folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."

Now... is there a Favorites folder at C:\Documents and settings\your account
name\Favorites ?

Does it contain all of your Favorites?

Don

"JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4b918e9d$0$5110$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> Actually it opened in my E drive that is supposed to be backup only -

not
> this stuff. Acronis may have been playing games and backing it up ther by
> mistake.
> NOW if I can figure out 1.) tell IE 8 where the favorites are 2.) move
> my good favorites into the c:\docs & settings\user\favorites and say a
> prayer..
> I CANNOT provide more info on the mommy coupons, if this was a more
> restricted site I would give my personal opinion. Since I am almost 70,
> little need for mommy's coupons..
> Unless they sell some VERY LARGE diapers I am told will need in a few
> years..
> har har har

> > Hi,
> > Your favorites in XP should be located at C:\Documents and settings\your
> > account name\Favorites.
> >
> > If, from Start> Run, you type in "shell:Favorites" [Enter or OK] does

the
> > Favorites folder open?
> >
> > Really curious about the "mommy coupons." Can you provide more
> > information?

> > "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:4b8fd7f2$0$20988$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
> >> XP Pro - Svc Pack 3 Not sure about IE8 - favorites just went away -

> > replaced
> >> by 20 or more "mommy coupons" (?). I have tried several times to bring

> > back
> >> favorites backed up in another directory. It wants them to be HTMLs.

> > can
> >> go to the other directory, see all the favorites, with icons, click on
> >> one
> >> and go to that site. so I know they are valid and do work. Where does

> > IE8
> >> keep favorites and I can try to overwrite them - copy & paste - from

one
> >> directory to another. Any ideas greatly appreciated and will try.

JLMcCabes

Re: Favorites
YES - All my favorites are sitting down there, fat, dumb, and happy. Was
going to try the import but you have a better knowledge on this confusing
problem so rather take time and be safer.
(Did you read comments on MOMMY stuff)
> Hi,
> From Control Panel> Folder Options> View, check "Show hidden files and
> folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
>
> Now... is there a Favorites folder at C:\Documents and settings\your
> account
> name\Favorites ?
>
> Does it contain all of your Favorites?
>
> Don
>

> "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4b918e9d$0$5110$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
>> Actually it opened in my E drive that is supposed to be backup only -

> not
>> this stuff. Acronis may have been playing games and backing it up ther
>> by
>> mistake.
>> NOW if I can figure out 1.) tell IE 8 where the favorites are 2.)
>> move
>> my good favorites into the c:\docs & settings\user\favorites and say a
>> prayer..
>> I CANNOT provide more info on the mommy coupons, if this was a more
>> restricted site I would give my personal opinion. Since I am almost 70,
>> little need for mommy's coupons..
>> Unless they sell some VERY LARGE diapers I am told will need in a few
>> years..
>> har har har

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Your favorites in XP should be located at C:\Documents and
>> > settings\your
>> > account name\Favorites.
>> >
>> > If, from Start> Run, you type in "shell:Favorites" [Enter or OK] does

> the
>> > Favorites folder open?
>> >
>> > Really curious about the "mommy coupons." Can you provide more
>> > information?

>> > "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > news:4b8fd7f2$0$20988$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
>> > replaced
>> > back

>> > can
>> > IE8

> one

Don Varnau

Re: Favorites
Hi,
In Control Panel> Add or remove programs, do you see any coupon-related
programs listed? Anything with "coupon" in the name? If so, and you aren't
using it, uninstall it.

In IE> Tools> Manage add-ons> Show: All add-ons, is there an add-on related
to coupons? If so, disable it.

If there is a (apparently normal) Favorites folder at C:\Documents and
settings\your account name\Favorites, go to
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm Download and run
(right-click> merge) the REG Fix referenced in this paragraph: "You may also
[run] this REG fix to reset the User Shell Folders values"

Don

"JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4b94db7e$0$4942$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> YES - All my favorites are sitting down there, fat, dumb, and happy. Was
> going to try the import but you have a better knowledge on this confusing
> problem so rather take time and be safer.
> (Did you read comments on MOMMY stuff)

> > Hi,
> > From Control Panel> Folder Options> View, check "Show hidden files and
> > folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
> >
> > Now... is there a Favorites folder at C:\Documents and settings\your
> > account
> > name\Favorites ?
> >
> > Does it contain all of your Favorites?
> >
> > Don

> > "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:4b918e9d$0$5110$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> >> Actually it opened in my E drive that is supposed to be backup only -

> > not
> >> this stuff. Acronis may have been playing games and backing it up ther
> >> by
> >> mistake.
> >> NOW if I can figure out 1.) tell IE 8 where the favorites are 2.)
> >> move
> >> my good favorites into the c:\docs & settings\user\favorites and say a
> >> prayer..
> >> I CANNOT provide more info on the mommy coupons, if this was a more
> >> restricted site I would give my personal opinion. Since I am almost

70,
> >> little need for mommy's coupons..
> >> Unless they sell some VERY LARGE diapers I am told will need in a few
> >> years..
> >> har har har

> >> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message

does
> > the

HTMLs.

on

> > one

JLMcCabes

Re: Favorites
PLEASE excuse me while I do the HAPPY DANCE in front of the PC.
All the regular favorites are back where they should be and I deleted every
thing "mommy" or "coupon" I could find doing searches. It is so nice to
have things where they belong. A very large THANK YOU for your great
help.