IE7 Temporary Internet Files.

Mick

IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My previous message seems to have been
lost. I want to set the default amount of disk space used by Internet
Explorer 7 temporary files by all new users who log on to an XP PC. How can I
do this? Thanks for any replies.
Jeff Strickland

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.

"Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My previous message seems to have been
> lost. I want to set the default amount of disk space used by Internet
> Explorer 7 temporary files by all new users who log on to an XP PC. How
> can I
> do this? Thanks for any replies.

minutes apart.

Why would you want ANY temporary internet files? Set IE to Delete on Close.
If your users have to wait for the page to load or they have to enter user
data, big deal.

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an
IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Does each user have their own Windows User Account/Profile?

Mick wrote:
> Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My previous message seems to have been
> lost. I want to set the default amount of disk space used by Internet
> Explorer 7 temporary files by all new users who log on to an XP PC. How
> can
> I do this? Thanks for any replies.

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
He stated that he was using IE7 and XP. Since he has IE7 and XP, it's a
pretty good bet that he has at least SP2, and probably does not have SP3
(however, it's possible that he has SP3 and IE7).

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an
> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Does each user have their own Windows User Account/Profile?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Mick wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My previous message seems to have been
>> lost. I want to set the default amount of disk space used by Internet
>> Explorer 7 temporary files by all new users who log on to an XP PC. How
>> can
>> I do this? Thanks for any replies.

Rob

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
Sure it is easy to deduce info like that, but PA Bear [MS MVP] likes
to paste one of his standard replies in every thread he sees, even
when not relevant to the question asked.
Often when the poster answers with full details, he then remains silent.
(apparently the detailed information did not make it possible to answer
the question any better than was possible without it)

In this case: OP wants to know how to set the disk space limit. Answer
can be "not possible", "do it like this", or "it is possible but it
varies by service pack level how to do this". By the time the third
answer is correct, it is soon enough to ask for the exact versions.

Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> He stated that he was using IE7 and XP. Since he has IE7 and XP, it's a
> pretty good bet that he has at least SP2, and probably does not have SP3
> (however, it's possible that he has SP3 and IE7).

>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an
>> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>>
>> Does each user have their own Windows User Account/Profile?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Mick wrote:
>>> Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My previous message seems to have been
>>> lost. I want to set the default amount of disk space used by Internet
>>> Explorer 7 temporary files by all new users who log on to an XP PC. How
>>> can
>>> I do this? Thanks for any replies.

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
The only two options to the question of, what version?, is SP2 or SP3, and
the answer tothe OP's question is the same for both. The question of version
is, IE7 and XP, both of which the OP provided in his original question. The
only thing he did not provide is the SP level, which has to be either 2 or
3, and would only be 3 if he (the OP) unwound IE8 and rolled back to IE7,
but either way the method to limit the size of hte Temporary Download File
is the same.

I know that PA Bear is a MSMVP, he delights in making sure everybody knows.
My point is, the OP provided the information that PA Bear needs to proceed.
In the worst case, the direct answer is, if SP2 do it like this, if SP3 do
it like this. Either way, it would be nice to get greater benifit of his
expertise and less grilling.

TO BE FAIR (and honest)
PA Bear's question is a good question many times when he asks it, it just
was not a good question this time, in my opinion. It is vital to know the OS
version and the application in order to provide useful information, but when
the OS and app are given in the original question, I get annoyed at experts
that can't give an answer that moves the discussion down the tracks.

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Sure it is easy to deduce info like that, but PA Bear [MS MVP] likes
> to paste one of his standard replies in every thread he sees, even
> when not relevant to the question asked.
> Often when the poster answers with full details, he then remains silent.
> (apparently the detailed information did not make it possible to answer
> the question any better than was possible without it)
>
> In this case: OP wants to know how to set the disk space limit. Answer
> can be "not possible", "do it like this", or "it is possible but it
> varies by service pack level how to do this". By the time the third
> answer is correct, it is soon enough to ask for the exact versions.
>
> Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> He stated that he was using IE7 and XP. Since he has IE7 and XP, it's a
>> pretty good bet that he has at least SP2, and probably does not have SP3
>> (however, it's possible that he has SP3 and IE7).

>>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>>> SP2;
>>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in
>>> an
>>> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>>>
>>> Does each user have their own Windows User Account/Profile?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE7 Temporary Internet Files.
More likely would be the fact that the CDO poster never managed to find his
way back to
to see replies to his post...or never figured out that he had to click on
the + sign to expand the thread.

Then there's the fact that Alerts (i.e., email notification of replies to
one's post) have seldom, if ever, worked reliably.

PS: IE7 and IE8 both require WinXP SP2 or SP3.

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> More likely would be the fact that the CDO poster never managed to find his
> way back to
> to see replies to his post...or never figured out that he had to click on
> the + sign to expand the thread.
>
> Then there's the fact that Alerts (i.e., email notification of replies to
> one's post) have seldom, if ever, worked reliably.
>
> PS: IE7 and IE8 both require WinXP SP2 or SP3.
>
> Rob wrote:
>> ...Often when the poster answers with full details, he then remains
>> silent.
>> (apparently the detailed information did not make it possible to answer
>> the question any better than was possible without it)

The "he then remains silent" refers to YOU, not the original poster.

> More likely would be the fact that the CDO poster never managed to find
> his
> way back to
> to see replies to his post...or never figured out that he had to click on
> the + sign to expand the thread.
>
> Then there's the fact that Alerts (i.e., email notification of replies to
> one's post) have seldom, if ever, worked reliably.
>
> PS: IE7 and IE8 both require WinXP SP2 or SP3.

Precisely, and the answer to the question is the same whether SP2 or SP3.

PS
The comment about remaining silent referred to you, not the OP.