Script error in IE8

jiger

Script error in IE8
When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all recent
updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Line: 38
Char: 5
Error: permission denied
Code: 0

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Yes or No

What could I do to correct this?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Script error in IE8

"jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [Subject: Script error in IE8]

> When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all
> recent
> updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message:
>
> An error has occurred in the script on this page
>
> Line: 38
> Char: 5
> Error: permission denied
> Code: 0
>
> Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
>
> Yes or No
>

> What could I do to correct this?

Probably go back to IE6. That Search Assist technology is obsolete
AFAIK. Barely supported the last time I saw it when I was still running
XP. Why not use IE8's Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e and start your
search from there?

BTW please try to include all the information in your Subject in the body of
your post too. Many newsreaders search both areas of the post separately.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rob^_^

Re: Script error in IE8
To Robert,

Still a Side search Pain ita. The guys in cn can't get the grips on it.

To Jiger,

Click the 'Customize' button on the Side Search Pane in IE6 and select a
Bing search provider. The MSN links are being rebranded to Bing and slowly
phased out.

Regards.

> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> [Subject: Script error in IE8]

>> When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all
>> recent
>> updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message:
>>
>> An error has occurred in the script on this page
>>
>> Line: 38
>> Char: 5
>> Error: permission denied
>> Code: 0
>>
>> Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
>>
>> Yes or No
>>

>> What could I do to correct this?

> Probably go back to IE6. That Search Assist technology is obsolete
> AFAIK. Barely supported the last time I saw it when I was still running
> XP. Why not use IE8's Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e and start your
> search from there?
>
> BTW please try to include all the information in your Subject in the body
> of your post too. Many newsreaders search both areas of the post
> separately.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

jiger

Re: Script error in IE8
Do you guys in fact mean that the search function from the start menu in XP,
search on the internet, simply does not work in IE8?

In that case I am satisfied, because I don`t normally use this function to
search, but I dicovered this error by accident and wanted to know whether
this was a symptom of a more general script problem in my machine, and if I
understand you correct, it is not, OK?

> Do you guys in fact mean that the search function from the start menu in
> XP,
> search on the internet, simply does not work in IE8?

I'm not sure that even works with IE6 any more. I don't have a clear
recollection of what happened the last time that I tested that but I'm
pretty sure it wasn't a great experience. You could probably go no further
than XPsp1. E.g. I think XPsp2 was the beginning of the end of that
feature. ; )

> In that case I am satisfied, because I don`t normally use this function to
> search, but I dicovered this error by accident and wanted to know whether
> this was a symptom of a more general script problem in my machine, and if
> understand you correct, it is not, OK?

If anything besides MSN no longer supporting unbranded searching it will be
security/obscurity and the removal of shell integration (e.g. no longer
"seamless" use of your file system and your Internet browsing by both IE and
WE.) In fact, I'd say it never was really "seamless" just very usable
when switching modes. Existing functionality was essentially just ripped
out of IE6sp2 and more in IE7 in order to try to enforce this delineation
between Internet access and local computer access but some of the UI
elements that were in Windows couldn't be changed until the next version of
Windows (e.g. Vista). That search you were trying to use is a good example
of that. Think of it as a ramp to an overpass that no longer exists and
the error you're getting as a (cryptic) "road closed" sign. ; )

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > [Subject: Script error in IE8]

>> > When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all
>> > recent
>> > updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message:
>> >
>> > An error has occurred in the script on this page
>> >
>> > Line: 38
>> > Char: 5
>> > Error: permission denied
>> > Code: 0
>> >
>> > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
>> >
>> > Yes or No
>> >

>> > What could I do to correct this?

>> Probably go back to IE6. That Search Assist technology is obsolete
>> AFAIK. Barely supported the last time I saw it when I was still running
>> XP. Why not use IE8's Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e and start your
>> search from there?
>>
>> BTW please try to include all the information in your Subject in the body
>> of
>> your post too. Many newsreaders search both areas of the post
>> separately.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>
>> .

Dan

Re: Script error in IE8
Do you mean the Search icon from the Start menu, and then when you get the
search app up you click Search the Internet at the bottom left? I just tried
this on my PC here using XP SP3 and IE8, works fine - spits up a load of
results from Bing. It's set at the default setting of

"With Search Companion ... etc"

which you can get to from "Change preferences" at the bottom left. I'd never
used this before which is why I'd never changed it to a search provider from
the list. At a guess some of the old scripts those providers references
don't work properly since the security changes in IE. Switch it back to
Search Companion, and you'll at least get Bing results rather than a script
error.

Dan

"jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you guys in fact mean that the search function from the start menu in
> XP,
> search on the internet, simply does not work in IE8?
>
> In that case I am satisfied, because I don`t normally use this function to
> search, but I dicovered this error by accident and wanted to know whether
> this was a symptom of a more general script problem in my machine, and if
> understand you correct, it is not, OK?
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > [Subject: Script error in IE8]

>> > When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all
>> > recent
>> > updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message:
>> >
>> > An error has occurred in the script on this page
>> >
>> > Line: 38
>> > Char: 5
>> > Error: permission denied
>> > Code: 0
>> >
>> > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
>> >
>> > Yes or No
>> >

>> > What could I do to correct this?

>> Probably go back to IE6. That Search Assist technology is obsolete
>> AFAIK. Barely supported the last time I saw it when I was still running
>> XP. Why not use IE8's Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e and start your
>> search from there?
>>
>> BTW please try to include all the information in your Subject in the body
>> of
>> your post too. Many newsreaders search both areas of the post
>> separately.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>
>> .

jiger

Re: Script error in IE8
As I have a Swedish version, I am not quite sure what you mean by "With
Search Companion ... etc" Can you pls write out more...I can only change the
animation there...or?

"Dan" wrote:

> Do you mean the Search icon from the Start menu, and then when you get the
> search app up you click Search the Internet at the bottom left? I just tried
> this on my PC here using XP SP3 and IE8, works fine - spits up a load of
> results from Bing. It's set at the default setting of
>
> "With Search Companion ... etc"
>
> which you can get to from "Change preferences" at the bottom left. I'd never
> used this before which is why I'd never changed it to a search provider from
> the list. At a guess some of the old scripts those providers references
> don't work properly since the security changes in IE. Switch it back to
> Search Companion, and you'll at least get Bing results rather than a script
> error.
>
> Dan
>

> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Do you guys in fact mean that the search function from the start menu in
> > XP,
> > search on the internet, simply does not work in IE8?
> >
> > In that case I am satisfied, because I don`t normally use this function to
> > search, but I dicovered this error by accident and wanted to know whether
> > this was a symptom of a more general script problem in my machine, and if
> > understand you correct, it is not, OK?
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >

> >> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Probably go back to IE6. That Search Assist technology is obsolete
> >> AFAIK. Barely supported the last time I saw it when I was still running
> >> XP. Why not use IE8's Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e and start your
> >> search from there?
> >>
> >> BTW please try to include all the information in your Subject in the body
> >> of
> >> your post too. Many newsreaders search both areas of the post
> >> separately.
> >>

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---
> >>
> >> .

Dan

Re: Script error in IE8
I have no idea if this will help as I have the English version. Anyway,
here goes.

(1) Start the Search application

(2) Click "Change preferences"

(3) Click "Change Internet search behaviour"

(4) Select the top radio button option "With Search Companion ...", and if
desired change the default search engine using the list below. Do not select
the bottom option "With Classic Internet search".

Does that help?

Dan

> As I have a Swedish version, I am not quite sure what you mean by "With
> Search Companion ... etc" Can you pls write out more...I can only change
> the
> animation there...or?
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean the Search icon from the Start menu, and then when you get
>> the
>> search app up you click Search the Internet at the bottom left? I just
>> tried
>> this on my PC here using XP SP3 and IE8, works fine - spits up a load of
>> results from Bing. It's set at the default setting of
>>
>> "With Search Companion ... etc"
>>
>> which you can get to from "Change preferences" at the bottom left. I'd
>> never
>> used this before which is why I'd never changed it to a search provider
>> from
>> the list. At a guess some of the old scripts those providers references
>> don't work properly since the security changes in IE. Switch it back to
>> Search Companion, and you'll at least get Bing results rather than a
>> script
>> error.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Do you guys in fact mean that the search function from the start menu
>> > in
>> > XP,
>> > search on the internet, simply does not work in IE8?
>> >
>> > In that case I am satisfied, because I don`t normally use this function
>> > search, but I dicovered this error by accident and wanted to know
>> > whether
>> > this was a symptom of a more general script problem in my machine, and
>> > if
>> > understand you correct, it is not, OK?

jiger

Re: Script error in IE8
I simply don´t have anything like "Change Internet search behaviour" in my XP
sp3 IE8!!
Any idea why?
Anyway, thanks for your help, but unfortunately this didn´t help

"Dan" wrote:

> I have no idea if this will help as I have the English version. Anyway,
> here goes.
>
> (1) Start the Search application
>
> (2) Click "Change preferences"
>
> (3) Click "Change Internet search behaviour"
>
> (4) Select the top radio button option "With Search Companion ...", and if
> desired change the default search engine using the list below. Do not select
> the bottom option "With Classic Internet search".
>
> Does that help?
>
> Dan
>

> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As I have a Swedish version, I am not quite sure what you mean by "With
> > Search Companion ... etc" Can you pls write out more...I can only change
> > the
> > animation there...or?
> >

> > "Dan" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you mean the Search icon from the Start menu, and then when you get
> >> the
> >> search app up you click Search the Internet at the bottom left? I just
> >> tried
> >> this on my PC here using XP SP3 and IE8, works fine - spits up a load of
> >> results from Bing. It's set at the default setting of
> >>
> >> "With Search Companion ... etc"
> >>
> >> which you can get to from "Change preferences" at the bottom left. I'd
> >> never
> >> used this before which is why I'd never changed it to a search provider
> >> from
> >> the list. At a guess some of the old scripts those providers references
> >> don't work properly since the security changes in IE. Switch it back to
> >> Search Companion, and you'll at least get Bing results rather than a
> >> script
> >> error.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>

> >> "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

rob^_^

Re: Script error in IE8
Hi Jiger,

We are all confused. That is Windows Search (Start>Search), not the IE8
Search Box or the IE6 Search Pane.

The script error you provided is a left over from IE6 and it appears that it
has slipped through the testing process and/or has not been removed from
your Start menu.

..... Testing on an XP virtual image with IE8.

Start>Search - loads Windows Explorer with the Search Companion side pane
with a number of options
- Search for Files
- Search the Internet....

Select Search the Internet... a text area field opens up to enter your
search terms.

Enter search terms and press ok.

On my VI image I get the error message
"Unexpected Error"
"Action could not be completed"
<answer>
Short answer.... Do not use the Start>Search option, use the IE8 Search Box
instead for Internet Searches.
</answer>
or
Start>Search - to display the Windows/Internet Explorer Search Companion.
Select "Change Internet search behavior" from the options.
The select the option "With Classic Internet search"
A selection list will then open up with choices of provider, one of them
being MSN.
Select Google.... opps that does not work either.... the Short answer is the
only answer.

Probable reason why you are getting a different error message - have you
installed SP3 yet for XP?

If you like go to http://iecustomizer.com/iepanels and select a side bar
search provider from my listing there. (the Bing Side bars are still in
beta, so they are still a bit flakey)

Bing listing - http://iecustomizer.com/iepanels/?txtProvider=Bing
Google listing - http://iecustomizer.com/iepanels/?txtProvider=Google

You will have to join the site with a valid email address to enable the
download buttons on the page.

Regards.