Internet Explore

Kristie

Internet Explore
Hello.
I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library 8HLWAPI.dll.

Can someone please help me? I don't know much about computers.
thanks,
--
Kristie
VanguardLH

Re: Internet Explore
Kristie wrote:

> Hello.
> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library 8HLWAPI.dll.
>
> Can someone please help me? I don't know much about computers.
> thanks,

That means something is trying to call SHREGGETVALUEW method (function) from
the specified DLL (dynamic link library) but that DLL doesn't contain that
function. Now you'll have to find out just what you installed on your host
that includes that .dll file. It isn't on my Windows XP Pro hosts. You
never bothered to identify WHICH version of Windows that you use. If the
file exists on your host, right-click on it to see if some info under the
Version tab identifies what it is used for and perhaps who is its author.
Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explore
Hi,
Are you certain that you're attempting to install the proper version of
Internet Explorer for your version of Windows?

Right-click Computer/My Computer and check Properties. What's the Windows
Edition/version (including SP level?)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Kristie" <Kristie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library

8HLWAPI.dll.

> Can someone please help me? I don't know much about computers.
> thanks,
> -
> Kristie

Dan

Re: Internet Explore

"Kristie" <Kristie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library
> 8HLWAPI.dll.
>
> Can someone please help me? I don't know much about computers.
> thanks,

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed? This procedure entry point
doesn't exist in the named DLL in older versions prior to XP Service Pack 2.
If you have no SP installed, or only SP1, you will need either to install SP
2 or SP 3 first. If you install SP2, IE8, and then SP3 you will not be able
to uninstall IE8 without first removing SP3, so I'd suggest you install SP3
and then IE8, don't bother with SP2.

Details about system requirements for IE8 are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

Note that it states "Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP 2) or higher"

You can download the full XP SP3 installer from here:

Or you can go to Windows Updates and install it from there.

More details on how to install XP SP3 are here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

--
Dan

VanguardLH

Re: Internet Explore
Dan wrote:

> Kristie wrote ...
>
>> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
>> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
>> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library
>> 8HLWAPI.dll.

> Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed? This procedure entry point
> doesn't exist in the named DLL in older versions prior to XP Service Pack 2.

You actually have a file named 8HLWAPI.dll on your Windows XP host? I can't
find THAT file. I can, however, find SHLWAPI.dll. Could be the Kristie
mispelled the filename. Could be it's malware trying to disguise itself by
using a similar filename.

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct.../shlwapi/20075

Don't know what 8HLWAPI.dll might be for.
Dan

Re: Internet Explore

> Dan wrote:
>
>> Kristie wrote ...
>>
>>> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
>>> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
>>> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library
>>> 8HLWAPI.dll.

>> Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed? This procedure entry
>> point
>> doesn't exist in the named DLL in older versions prior to XP Service Pack
>> 2.

> You actually have a file named 8HLWAPI.dll on your Windows XP host? I
> can't
> find THAT file. I can, however, find SHLWAPI.dll. Could be the Kristie
> mispelled the filename. Could be it's malware trying to disguise itself
> by
> using a similar filename.
>
> http://www.processlibrary.com/direct.../shlwapi/20075
>
> Don't know what 8HLWAPI.dll might be for.

I just assumed the 8 was a typo and should been S, but I see that might have
been the wrong assumption to make.

--
Dan

Donald Anadell

Re: Internet Explore

> Dan wrote:
>
>> Kristie wrote ...
>>
>>> I am attempting to install Internet Explore 8 on my computer. I have
>>> windows xp. i am getting an error message: "The procedure enter
>>> SHREGGETVALUEW could not be located in the dynamic link library
>>> 8HLWAPI.dll.

>> Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed? This procedure entry
>> point
>> doesn't exist in the named DLL in older versions prior to XP Service Pack
>> 2.

> You actually have a file named 8HLWAPI.dll on your Windows XP host? I
> can't
> find THAT file. I can, however, find SHLWAPI.dll. Could be the Kristie
> mispelled the filename. Could be it's malware trying to disguise itself
> by
> using a similar filename.
>
> http://www.processlibrary.com/direct.../shlwapi/20075
>

> Don't know what 8HLWAPI.dll might be for.

Hi VanguardLH,

Possibly installed with "IETester"?
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

Reference:
http://www.my-debugbar.com/forum/sea...h_id=894260395

FILE NAME="8hlwapi.dll"
FILE_DESCRIPTION="Shell Light-weight Utility Library"
COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation"
PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft« Windows« Operating System"
ORIGINAL_FILENAME="SHLWAPI.DLL"

If the OP has "IETester" installed, he||lshe might try uninstalling
it(DebugBar for Internet Explorer) from Add Remove Programs before trying
the IE8 install.

This is only speculation on my part, but without some feedback from the OP
who knows)

Donald Anadell