IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs

Peter S.

IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed I
had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried EVERYTHING.
I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled IE8, shut off
protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I have been scouring
the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and saw that the site(s)
were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no such
interface supported.

What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about losing
the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
If you've already tried "EVERYTHING" what more do you expect from us?

Especially when all you can say about your situation is "I had problems
opening a new window or new tab," leaving us to guess what problems
you're having.

Perhaps a good place for you to start would be to try to remember what
you did to your computer "last week" that might be causing your problem.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Peter S. wrote:
> Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed I
> had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried EVERYTHING.
> I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled IE8, shut off
> protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I have been scouring
> the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and saw that the site(s)
> were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no such
> interface supported.
>
> What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about losing
> the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Hi,
If you've reset IE settings to default, then JavaScript should be able to
open a new window or tab.

If the IE pop-up blocker is turned off, a browser add-on or third-party
program must be causing the problem.

Add-ons...
For troubleshooting information see:
Hint: A number of third-party toolbars have a pop-up blocker (Google, Yahoo,
Earthlink, among others)

Third-party programs...
929135- How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

Hope this helps,
Don

"Peter S." <PeterS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsBA66FF0-9986-4A26-B035-4FC68C9D6AA3@microsoft.com...
> Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed

> had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried

EVERYTHING.
> I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled IE8, shut

off
> protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I have been

scouring
> the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and saw that the site(s)
> were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no such
> interface supported.
>
> What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about

losing
> the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Is it a Windows 7 64-bit computer?

Peter S. wrote:
> Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed
> had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried
> EVERYTHING. I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled
> IE8, shut off protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I
> have been scouring the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and
> saw that the site(s) were trying to do a window.open and the error that
> came back was no such interface supported.
>
> What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about
> losing
> the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

Peter S.

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Thanks for the response, no it is a 32 bit installation of Windows 7
professional. I have no clue what I installed recently that would cause a
problem. I did de-install and re-install SQL Server 2008 professional
recently but I can't believe that would be related. BTW, I also tried IE with
no add-ons and that didn't work.

I did find one KB that suggested I register Shdocvw.dll (among other dll's)
and that failed with entry-point dllregisterserver not found.

BTW, trying "everything" means I looked at a bunch of newgroups throughtout
the web. I feel posting in the Microsoft communities is a cut above that
first tier of research.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is it a Windows 7 64-bit computer?
>
> Peter S. wrote:
> > Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed
> > had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried
> > EVERYTHING. I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled
> > IE8, shut off protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I
> > have been scouring the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and
> > saw that the site(s) were trying to do a window.open and the error that
> > came back was no such interface supported.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> > that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> > Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> > method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> > which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> > sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about
> > losing
> > the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

> .

Peter S.

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Thanks for the reply, I tried running with no add-ons and that didn't seem to
help. I got pop up blocker turned off as well. I did notice that if a right
click on a link and try to open new window, nothing happens. If I right click
on that same link and open new tab. A new tab opens and it just sits there
connecting. The new tab doesn't have the link information of the link I
clicked on but rather the contents of the last tab

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If you've reset IE settings to default, then JavaScript should be able to
> open a new window or tab.
>
> If the IE pop-up blocker is turned off, a browser add-on or third-party
> program must be causing the problem.
>
> Add-ons...
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> Hint: A number of third-party toolbars have a pop-up blocker (Google, Yahoo,
> Earthlink, among others)
>
> Third-party programs...
> 929135- How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> Vista or in Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
>

> "Peter S." <PeterS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsBA66FF0-9986-4A26-B035-4FC68C9D6AA3@microsoft.com...
> > Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed

> > had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried

> EVERYTHING.
> > I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled IE8, shut

> off
> > protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I have been

> scouring
> > the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and saw that the site(s)
> > were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no such
> > interface supported.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> > that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> > Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> > method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> > which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> > sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about

> losing
> > the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

> .

Peter S.

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
More information, I did a clean boot and that did not fix it. I also tried
running IE with no-add-ons. Any other suggestions would be greatly
appreciated and I would gladly try.

P.S. When I right click on a link to open a tab I see it says "connecting"
and it just stays there trying to connect and the link information in the
toolbar does NOT reflect the new link. Like I mentioned, I have to run Chrome
to post this reply. It's a huge pain because I need IE for Outlook browser
mail and web based applications like Eclipse and AthenaNet that their main
staple is to spawn a new window after successfully logging in....

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If you've reset IE settings to default, then JavaScript should be able to
> open a new window or tab.
>
> If the IE pop-up blocker is turned off, a browser add-on or third-party
> program must be causing the problem.
>
> Add-ons...
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> Hint: A number of third-party toolbars have a pop-up blocker (Google, Yahoo,
> Earthlink, among others)
>
> Third-party programs...
> 929135- How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> Vista or in Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
>

> "Peter S." <PeterS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsBA66FF0-9986-4A26-B035-4FC68C9D6AA3@microsoft.com...
> > Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I noticed

> > had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried

> EVERYTHING.
> > I registered dll's, reset the browser, deactivated/uninstalled IE8, shut

> off
> > protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I have been

> scouring
> > the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and saw that the site(s)
> > were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no such
> > interface supported.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto websites
> > that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to use
> > Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure fire
> > method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of ie8
> > which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to all
> > sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about

> losing
> > the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

> .

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Peter S. wrote:
> Thanks for the response, no it is a 32 bit installation of Windows 7
> professional. I have no clue what I installed recently that would cause a
> problem. I did de-install and re-install SQL Server 2008 professional
> recently but I can't believe that would be related. BTW, I also tried IE
> with no add-ons and that didn't work.
>
> I did find one KB that suggested I register Shdocvw.dll (among other
> dll's)
> and that failed with entry-point dllregisterserver not found.
>
> BTW, trying "everything" means I looked at a bunch of newgroups
> throughtout
> the web. I feel posting in the Microsoft communities is a cut above that
> first tier of research.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is it a Windows 7 64-bit computer?
>>
>> Peter S. wrote:
>>> Okay, I have been running Windows 7 since December and last week I
>>> noticed
>>> I had problems opening a new window or new tab in IE8. I have tried
>>> EVERYTHING. I registered dll's, reset the browser,
>>> deactivated/uninstalled
>>> IE8, shut off protected mode, messed with security zones you name it. I
>>> have been scouring the web for an answer. I enabled script debugging and
>>> saw that the site(s) were trying to do a window.open and the error that
>>> came back was no such interface supported...

rob^_^

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Hi Peter,

Try adding those sites that require a login to your Trusted Sites list and
ensure that your IE Security Zone settings are at the recommended default
levels.

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click the "Reset all zones to
default" button.

By default, for security reasons, IE blocks navigation to zones of a higher
security risk. You are probably logging on at a secure https and then being
redirected to a http page.

Regards.

> [...]

>> > were trying to do a window.open and the error that came back was no
>> > such
>> > interface supported.
>> >
>> > What can I do to fix this? It is inhibiting me from logging onto
>> > websites
>> > that I use at work that need to open a new window. Right now I had to
>> > use
>> > Chrome to even log this newgroup message! I would love to have a sure
>> > fire
>> > method or at least the ability to do a solid reinstall on Windows 7 of
>> > ie8
>> > which currently does not seem available. I see folks switching over to
>> > all
>> > sorts of other browsers because of this. Is Microsoft uncaring about

>> losing
>> > the browser war? I am surprised this problem hasn't been put to rest!

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 on Windows 7 can create new Windows or new Tabs
Hi,
If you haven't yet, try the appropriate version of ie8-rereg from
http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en

And, never underestimate the ability of well-known, third-party security
programs to screw things up. See PA Bear's post re: McAfee and Norton.