clinking a searched link brings up further search terms...

Brad Pears

clinking a searched link brings up further search terms...
Hi there...

I can't seem to find a solution to this particular issue. I am running IE8
on a Windows XP SP3 machine. In almost every instance whenever I perform a
search - whether it be google or bing or whoever, I get my list of matches
no probs, but if I click on one of the searched links, instead of being
taken diretly to wherever that link is supposed to take me, I am being taken
to another page containing a bunch of other "related" search terms
instead - sometimes it's the same company "hijaaking" me but overall I get
many different companies such as www.luckyresults .com, even "Microsoft
Technet" sometimes, "searchoye.com", "11picks.com" etc.. In order to get to
the link I want, I wind up having to copy and paste the URL listed in teh
google/bing search record (if the URL is not too long).

I am running both a Symantec Corprate AV 10.1 client as well as Spybot
Search and Destroy. On full scans, neither of these have turned up anything
that has prevented this from happening. Any research I have done has not
turned up anything really tangible.

It's got to be some sort of "spyware/adware" etc... I have looked in the IE
tools and addons - I can;t see anything there either... This also happens
in IE 7 too, as I recently upgraded to ver 8.

Any ideas??

Thanks, Brad

Don Varnau

Re: clinking a searched link brings up further search terms...
Hi,
Try the Windows Live Safety Scanner
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

Follow that with (free version) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Brad Pears" <bradp@truenorthloghomes.com> wrote in message
> Hi there...
>
> I can't seem to find a solution to this particular issue. I am running IE8
> on a Windows XP SP3 machine. In almost every instance whenever I perform a
> search - whether it be google or bing or whoever, I get my list of matches
> no probs, but if I click on one of the searched links, instead of being
> taken diretly to wherever that link is supposed to take me, I am being

taken
> to another page containing a bunch of other "related" search terms
> instead - sometimes it's the same company "hijaaking" me but overall I get
> many different companies such as www.luckyresults .com, even "Microsoft
> Technet" sometimes, "searchoye.com", "11picks.com" etc.. In order to get

> the link I want, I wind up having to copy and paste the URL listed in teh
> google/bing search record (if the URL is not too long).
>
> I am running both a Symantec Corprate AV 10.1 client as well as Spybot
> Search and Destroy. On full scans, neither of these have turned up

anything
> that has prevented this from happening. Any research I have done has not
> turned up anything really tangible.
>
> It's got to be some sort of "spyware/adware" etc... I have looked in the

IE
> tools and addons - I can;t see anything there either... This also

happens
> in IE 7 too, as I recently upgraded to ver 8.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks, Brad

Brad Pears

Re: clinking a searched link brings up further search terms...
Thanks Don... I'll give those a try!

Brad