OE6 Upgrade

Hello:

I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
(OE6) is my main email application.
Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has a
corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.

* Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
?
* If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
* Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do I
need the Server also ?

I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
from OE6 to something higher.

Thanks,
JoJo.

Gordon

Re: OE6 Upgrade

<JoJo> wrote in message news:OnzyaRutKHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.

OE6 is the last version of OE there will ever be.

Tom Willett

Re: OE6 Upgrade
There is no upgrade to OE6. It remains the same. Development and support
have been discontinued for several years.

:
: I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
: (OE6) is my main email application.
: Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
: corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
:
: * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
: ?
: * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
: * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
: need the Server also ?
:
: I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
: when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
: from OE6 to something higher.
:
:
: Thanks,
: JoJo.
:
:
:
:

Leonard Grey

Re: OE6 Upgrade
Outlook Express 6 was the last version of that product. Its successor is
Windows Live Mail.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JoJo wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has a
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do I
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.
>

> Thanks,
> JoJo.

Dan

Re: OE6 Upgrade

<JoJo> wrote in message news:OnzyaRutKHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.

OE6 is replaced by Windows Live Mail. It has email, contact management, and
newsgroup reader just like OE, but also includes additional features.

--
Dan

Jeff Strickland

Re: OE6 Upgrade

<JoJo> wrote in message news:OnzyaRutKHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.

No, there is no upgrade for OE6. When you eventually get a Vista or Win7
machine, you will get a new version of OE that is called WinLiveMail, or
something like that.

Have you looked at ThunderBird for e-mail services?

Peter Foldes

Re: OE6 Upgrade
Dan

Actually it was Windows Mail which was supposed to replace OE and Windows MAIL in
turn is being replaced by Windows Live Mail

--
Peter

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> <JoJo> wrote in message news:OnzyaRutKHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
>> (OE6) is my main email application.
>> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has a
>> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>>
>> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
>> ?
>> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
>> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do I
>> need the Server also ?
>>
>> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
>> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
>> from OE6 to something higher.

> OE6 is replaced by Windows Live Mail. It has email, contact management, and
> newsgroup reader just like OE, but also includes additional features.
>
> --
> Dan

Re: OE6 Upgrade
No; Not possible; Yes, OL can be used for POP3 and IMAP access w/out
Exchange.

OE-specific newsgroup:

OL-specific newsgroup:
~~

JoJo wrote:
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.

Re: OE6 Upgrade
PS: Your post's headers (Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1983) tell us that you're
running outdated and much less secure versions of OE, IE and WinXP *SP2*
(not SP3). Check-in at Windows Update ASAP!

Also see...

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

JoJo wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.
>

> Thanks,
> JoJo.

Dan

Re: OE6 Upgrade
Windows Mail was only available in Vista. For XP, Windows Live Mail is the
replacement for OE. Vista never had OE, so technically Windows Mail did not
replace it, it was an entirely new alternative. For XP users the upgrade
path is OE to WLM.

Dan