Scripting Actions in RIES

Systeembeheerder

Scripting Actions in RIES
Hi,

Is it possible to script the actions that are performed in RIES?

We recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Since the upgrade it is no longer
possible to set our company's intranet site (http://mijnfokus.nl) as the
standard homepage. If this website is defined as the homepage then IE reports
that the website is not available, if we then click on refresh or the
homepage button the website is displayed without any problems. We don't have
this issue if we set other websites (such as google or msn) as homepage.

We have been able to fix this issue for certain users by using RIES. However
we have a restrictive policy which prevents access to the advanced tab.
Besides this, we would like to automate the process so that users are not
confronted with extra actions that they will have to perform.

Users do not have administrator privilges so the provided fixit does not
work for them. Running RIES as an administrator only solves the problem for
the administrator who runs it. We have also tried exporting HKCU...Internet
Explorer\Main from a user where the problem has been solved and importing it
to a problem user's HKCU but this does not help either.

It seems to us that the best option would be to script the actions carried
out in RIES so that they can be run in a login script (we have a VB login
script) or maybe to start IE8 up with a command line option to force the
reset. Can you tell me if this is possible and how we can do this?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Matthew Hurley
Stichting Fokus Exploitatie
The Netherlands
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Scripting Actions in RIES
"Systeembeheerder" <Systeembeheerder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:89E51639-A272-4398-91B0-79C03FBE611E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to script the actions that are performed in RIES?

Probably. I would use DependencyWalker to check for entry points in
inetcpl.cpl. Also, you could use DependencyWalker's Profiler to trace what
all gets called when inetcpl.cpl,,6 gets started and its Reset button
gets clicked.

FWIW I know that there are numeric values which get passed to
ClearMyTracksByProcess which may do each reset step individually but I don't
know if there is one value which is used to represent RIES or if there is a
higher level caller which does all the necessary individual calls...

Hmm... looks like 4351 may be such a "one value" magic number
(0x10FF)...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-171c3d5893e7/

(BING search for
ClearMyTracksByProcess inetcpl site:microsoft.com
)

Note the caveat from the MVP responder:

<quote>
You cannot run it without UI. The function was exported for IE's
consumption, which is why it isn't documented. The fact that you can use it
is a happy side effect and you shouldn't necessarily rely on it since the IE
team could change its behavior in the future.
</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rob^_^

Re: Scripting Actions in RIES
Hi,

http://mijnfokus.nl/user/login.htm?url=/home/index.htm

is a public web site... take it out of your Intranet sites list and add it
to your Trusted sites list instead.

Regards.

"Systeembeheerder" <Systeembeheerder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:89E51639-A272-4398-91B0-79C03FBE611E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to script the actions that are performed in RIES?
>
> We recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Since the upgrade it is no longer
> possible to set our company's intranet site (http://mijnfokus.nl) as the
> standard homepage. If this website is defined as the homepage then IE
> reports
> that the website is not available, if we then click on refresh or the
> homepage button the website is displayed without any problems. We don't
> have
> this issue if we set other websites (such as google or msn) as homepage.
>
> We have been able to fix this issue for certain users by using RIES.
> However
> we have a restrictive policy which prevents access to the advanced tab.
> Besides this, we would like to automate the process so that users are not
> confronted with extra actions that they will have to perform.
>
> Users do not have administrator privilges so the provided fixit does not
> work for them. Running RIES as an administrator only solves the problem
> for
> the administrator who runs it. We have also tried exporting
> HKCU...Internet
> Explorer\Main from a user where the problem has been solved and importing
> it
> to a problem user's HKCU but this does not help either.
>
> It seems to us that the best option would be to script the actions carried
> out in RIES so that they can be run in a login script (we have a VB login
> script) or maybe to start IE8 up with a command line option to force the
> reset. Can you tell me if this is possible and how we can do this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matthew Hurley
> Stichting Fokus Exploitatie
> The Netherlands

Re: Scripting Actions in RIES
+1

rob^_^ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://mijnfokus.nl/user/login.htm?url=/home/index.htm
>
> is a public web site... take it out of your Intranet sites list and add it
> to your Trusted sites list instead.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Systeembeheerder" <Systeembeheerder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:89E51639-A272-4398-91B0-79C03FBE611E@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to script the actions that are performed in RIES?
>>
>> We recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Since the upgrade it is no longer
>> possible to set our company's intranet site (http://mijnfokus.nl) as the
>> standard homepage. If this website is defined as the homepage then IE
>> reports
>> that the website is not available, if we then click on refresh or the
>> homepage button the website is displayed without any problems. We don't
>> have
>> this issue if we set other websites (such as google or msn) as homepage.
>>
>> We have been able to fix this issue for certain users by using RIES.
>> However
>> we have a restrictive policy which prevents access to the advanced tab.
>> Besides this, we would like to automate the process so that users are not
>> confronted with extra actions that they will have to perform.
>>
>> Users do not have administrator privilges so the provided fixit does not
>> work for them. Running RIES as an administrator only solves the problem
>> for
>> the administrator who runs it. We have also tried exporting
>> HKCU...Internet
>> Explorer\Main from a user where the problem has been solved and importing
>> it
>> to a problem user's HKCU but this does not help either.
>>
>> It seems to us that the best option would be to script the actions
>> carried
>> out in RIES so that they can be run in a login script (we have a VB login
>> script) or maybe to start IE8 up with a command line option to force the
>> reset. Can you tell me if this is possible and how we can do this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Matthew Hurley
>> Stichting Fokus Exploitatie
>> The Netherlands

Systeembeheerder

Re: Scripting Actions in RIES
Thanks for you reply.

One of the problems is that IE8 doesn't appear to even look for the website
until the screen is refreshed. For example when I open IE8 it reports that
the website (which cannot be connected to to start with) is in the Internet
zone, it is only once has been loaded (following a refresh) that it is
reported as being a trusted site.

Greetings,
Matthew

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://mijnfokus.nl/user/login.htm?url=/home/index.htm
>
> is a public web site... take it out of your Intranet sites list and add it
> to your Trusted sites list instead.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Systeembeheerder" <Systeembeheerder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:89E51639-A272-4398-91B0-79C03FBE611E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to script the actions that are performed in RIES?
> >
> > We recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Since the upgrade it is no longer
> > possible to set our company's intranet site (http://mijnfokus.nl) as the
> > standard homepage. If this website is defined as the homepage then IE
> > reports
> > that the website is not available, if we then click on refresh or the
> > homepage button the website is displayed without any problems. We don't
> > have
> > this issue if we set other websites (such as google or msn) as homepage.
> >
> > We have been able to fix this issue for certain users by using RIES.
> > However
> > we have a restrictive policy which prevents access to the advanced tab.
> > Besides this, we would like to automate the process so that users are not
> > confronted with extra actions that they will have to perform.
> >
> > Users do not have administrator privilges so the provided fixit does not
> > work for them. Running RIES as an administrator only solves the problem
> > for
> > the administrator who runs it. We have also tried exporting
> > HKCU...Internet
> > Explorer\Main from a user where the problem has been solved and importing
> > it
> > to a problem user's HKCU but this does not help either.
> >
> > It seems to us that the best option would be to script the actions carried
> > out in RIES so that they can be run in a login script (we have a VB login
> > script) or maybe to start IE8 up with a command line option to force the
> > reset. Can you tell me if this is possible and how we can do this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Matthew Hurley
> > Stichting Fokus Exploitatie
> > The Netherlands

Systeembeheerder

Re: Scripting Actions in RIES
The problem appears to be solved. We first upgraded java (as a tip found in
another forum) which didn't help. Then we ran MS Fixit 50195 as Administrator

This seems to have solved the problem. Note: the Fixit apparantly does more
than the manual actions running RIES as running RIES manually as an admin
didn't solve the problem for other users but the Fixit did...

Thanks for your tips

Greetings,
Matthew