Security Certificates

Jerry

Security Certificates
I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will not
download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:
https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do
It is a Citigroup Inc. US site

The error message is:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in
the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry
Hot-text

Re: Security Certificates
Sign On Securely
https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/d...o?screenID=607

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
> giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
> not
> download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
> The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:
> https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do
> It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
>
> The error message is:
>
> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
>

> The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
> different website's address.
>
> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> intercept any data you send to the server.
> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> website.
> Click here to close this webpage.
> Continue to this website (not recommended).
> More information
>

> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> in
> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> information into the website.
>
> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
>
> Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
> that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jerry

Re: Security Certificates
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Are your time, date, and time zone settings all correct?

Jerry wrote:
> I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
> giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
> not
> download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
> The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:
> https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do
> It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
>
> The error message is:
>
> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
>

> The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
> different website's address.
>
> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> intercept any data you send to the server.
> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> website.
> Click here to close this webpage.
> Continue to this website (not recommended).
> More information
>

> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> in
> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> information into the website.
>
> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
>
> Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
> that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jerry

Jerry

Re: Security Certificates
Windows Vist Home Premium 64 Bit SP2

Sorry. The suggestion or link from Hot-text did no good at all for me. I'm
not an expert and opening a link without some sort of insttructions is no
good to me.
The problem remains the same. Remember, I can sign on to Discover Card,
CitiCards, Citizens Bank, PNC Bank and othere and have no problem with the
security with their site.

Help is appreciated
Jerry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
> newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Are your time, date, and time zone settings all correct?
>
> Jerry wrote:
> > I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
> > giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
> > not
> > download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
> > The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:
> > https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do
> > It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
> >

> > The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
> > different website's address.
> >
> > Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> > intercept any data you send to the server.
> > We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> > website.
> > Click here to close this webpage.
> > Continue to this website (not recommended).
> > More information
> >

> > If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> > in
> > the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> > When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> > adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> > If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> > information into the website.
> >
> > For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
> >
> > Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
> > that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Jerry

> .

Rob

Re: Security Certificates
Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The problem remains the same. Remember, I can sign on to Discover Card,
> CitiCards, Citizens Bank, PNC Bank and othere and have no problem with the
> security with their site.

Maybe there is some trojan installed on your system or inside your ISP
network that acts as a man-in-the-middle specificially for the site
of your bank?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security Certificates

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
> giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
> not
> download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
> The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:

> https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do

Where did you get that URL? It opens an empty page for me.

The help page that Hot-text found for you contains all kinds of relevant
information to help, including telephone support numbers.

For example, contained within it is this instruction:

<quote>
You can safely access your account from Cardmember Sign On because the new
Citicards.com uses a secure "https" address to ensure that your personal
information is protected.
</quote>

where "Cardmember Sign On" is the label for this link

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/home.do

Perhaps you would have more luck trying it instead?

> It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
>
> The error message is:
>
> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

In fact, the certificate for that page was fine for me but the page was
empty. I would ask Citigroup support what they think is wrong. They will
undoubtedly have scripted procedures to resolve whatever that is. And then
you can come back and tell us the resolution. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
> different website's address.
>
> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> intercept any data you send to the server.
> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> website.
> Click here to close this webpage.
> Continue to this website (not recommended).
> More information
>

> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> in
> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> information into the website.
>
> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
>
> Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
> that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jerry

Hot-text

Re: Security Certificates
Yes ask Citigroup support what they think is wrong.
The help page I send you contains telephone support numbers call tham!

> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
>> giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
>> not
>> download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
>> The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:

>> https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do

> Where did you get that URL? It opens an empty page for me.
>
> The help page that Hot-text found for you contains all kinds of relevant
> information to help, including telephone support numbers.
>
> For example, contained within it is this instruction:
>
> <quote>
> You can safely access your account from Cardmember Sign On because the new
> Citicards.com uses a secure "https" address to ensure that your personal
> information is protected.
> </quote>
>
> where "Cardmember Sign On" is the label for this link
>
> https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/home.do
>
> Perhaps you would have more luck trying it instead?
>

>> It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
>>
>> The error message is:
>>
>> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

> In fact, the certificate for that page was fine for me but the page was
> empty. I would ask Citigroup support what they think is wrong. They
> will
> undoubtedly have scripted procedures to resolve whatever that is. And
> then
> you can come back and tell us the resolution. ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

>> The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
>> different website's address.
>>
>> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
>> intercept any data you send to the server.
>> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
>> website.
>> Click here to close this webpage.
>> Continue to this website (not recommended).
>> More information
>>

>> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
>> in
>> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
>> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
>> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
>> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
>> information into the website.
>>
>> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
>>
>> Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated,
>> whatever
>> that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Jerry

Jerry

Re: Security Certificates
Ok, let's back up. Sears and Kmart and all are confusing me. Where I'm trying
to go is to my Sears MasterCard Account at:
https://www.searscard.com/us/cards/srs/index.jsp
This is where the Security Message pops up and the navigation is blocked

Now, if you guys put this URL in and don't get the same message I get every
time I'm selling this computer.

Thanks
Jerry

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I go to about 6 sites to pay my bills online etc. There is just one site
> > giving me this error message. It is screwing me up because Quicken will
> > not
> > download the data. It "stumbles" when it gets this message.
> > The site I'm trying to reach that has the problem is:

> > https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/Dashboard.do

> Where did you get that URL? It opens an empty page for me.
>
> The help page that Hot-text found for you contains all kinds of relevant
> information to help, including telephone support numbers.
>
> For example, contained within it is this instruction:
>
> <quote>
> You can safely access your account from Cardmember Sign On because the new
> Citicards.com uses a secure "https" address to ensure that your personal
> information is protected.
> </quote>
>
> where "Cardmember Sign On" is the label for this link
>
> https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/home.do
>
> Perhaps you would have more luck trying it instead?
>

> > It is a Citigroup Inc. US site
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

> In fact, the certificate for that page was fine for me but the page was
> empty. I would ask Citigroup support what they think is wrong. They will
> undoubtedly have scripted procedures to resolve whatever that is. And then
> you can come back and tell us the resolution. ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
> > different website's address.
> >
> > Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> > intercept any data you send to the server.
> > We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> > website.
> > Click here to close this webpage.
> > Continue to this website (not recommended).
> > More information
> >

> > If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> > in
> > the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> > When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> > adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> > If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> > information into the website.
> >
> > For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
> >
> > Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated, whatever
> > that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it gets.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Jerry

> .

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security Certificates

> Ok, let's back up. Sears and Kmart and all are confusing me. Where I'm
> trying
> to go is to my Sears MasterCard Account at:

> https://www.searscard.com/us/cards/srs/index.jsp

Again, where did you get that link?

<nslookup>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.citibank.com
Address: 192.193.219.58
Aliases: www.searscard.com
</nslookup>

Looks like it is an alias for a citibank host, so I wouldn't be surprised
if the certificate was good for the citibank host but not for the alias.

> This is where the Security Message pops up and the navigation is blocked
>
> Now, if you guys put this URL in and don't get the same message I get
> every
> time I'm selling this computer.

Yes, I do. (Opening the home page on that host.) The first line of the
warning message is:

<quote>
The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a
different website's address.
</quote>

Ask your support site. The problem is with whatever you are doing to get
your links, either your procedure or the site you are using; not with IE.
Notice that the support site may tell you to ignore the warning but that's
not for us to advise you to do without knowing more about those sites.

Good luck

Robert
---

> [...]

>> > Click here to close this webpage.
>> > Continue to this website (not recommended).
>> > More information
>> >

>> > If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website
>> > address
>> > in
>> > the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
>> > When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com,
>> > try
>> > adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
>> > If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
>> > information into the website.
>> >
>> > For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer
>> > Help.
>> >
>> > Any the web sites customer service says my browser needs updated,
>> > whatever
>> > that means. I'm using IE8 and that should be about as updated as it

Rob

Re: Security Certificates
Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ok, let's back up. Sears and Kmart and all are confusing me. Where I'm trying
> to go is to my Sears MasterCard Account at:
> https://www.searscard.com/us/cards/srs/index.jsp
> This is where the Security Message pops up and the navigation is blocked
>
> Now, if you guys put this URL in and don't get the same message I get every
> time I'm selling this computer.

It is the website that is broken, not your computer.
The people that made the www.searscard.com have done something that
is not possible with a secure site (they assigned two names to the same site).
This is not something you can fix yourself. Complain to the website
maintainer.