Re: upgrade from IE6 - installation of IE7 or IE8

Re: upgrade from IE6 - installation of IE7 or IE8
Actually, I did reply to your second post on 22 February but it seems to
have gotten lost in the ozone due to the ongoing newsgroup synchronization
issues.

NB: When you reply to this post, please continue the crosspost to IE General
newsgroup!

See...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

If, as I suspect, you did not uninstall IE8 before you did the Repair
Install, your only recourse now is...

Back-up any personal data then format the hard-drive & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that another Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade)
will NOT fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

pradyumna via WindowsKB.com wrote:
> PA Bear: Hope that you will find time to advise me on this IE8
> installation.
>
> pradyumna wrote:
>> PA Bear !
>>
>> I think IE8 was installed frst (not sure)
>>
>> Repair install: Yes,
>> Once the IE access went down, (after several combinations - since I was
>> hitting in the dark)
>> I removed SP3, reinstalled SP2 (chose upgrade option)
>> At this point, I chose Repair install for the first time.
>> Through the last 2-weeks I reinstalled the SP2 (upgrade option) /
>> windows
>> update / SP3 / IE8
>>
>> Always, the IE 7 or IE8 installation failed
>> No other applications running in the background (including KIS2010)
>> KIS Firewall ON / Windows Firewall OFF.
>> No other security applications (norton/mcafee...)
>>
>> My system has been cleaned / Scanned with the list of tools below.
>> None of the reports indicate any problem.
>>
>> COMODO System Cleaner
>> COMODO Antivirus
>>
>> KIS 2010
>> AML Free Registry Cleaner
>> nCleaner
>>
>> malware bytes anti-malware
>> super anti spyware
>> Advanced System Care Pro 3.4.1
>> Registry Mechanic 8
>> RegScrub XP
>>
>> MS Malicious Software Removal Tool
>> Tweaknow Regcleaner Professional
>>
>> Have tried different versions of IE8 from the net through the last
>> 2-weeks.
>> Windows Update / microsoft / ie8 optimised for msns / yahoo / google.
>> Everytime the installation stops at admin tool kits / language pack.
>>
>> plesae note:
>> Tried to install without SP3 also. i.e Removed SP3, install SP2 with
>> upgrade option, Checked with SFC / scannow. then tried IE8.
>> Similar trials with SP3 installed.
>>
>> Thank you !
>>
>>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>>

>> [quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Re: upgrade from IE6 - installation of IE7 or IE8
A1. If you'd installed WinXP SP3 after you'd installed IE8, you would have
had to uninstall SP3 before you would have been able to uninstall IE8. See

A2. You're welcome.

A3. You access this newsgroup via the clunky WindowsKB.com forum interface.
If you accessed this and other MS newsgroups via your default newsreader
(e.g., Outlook Express), crossposting is easier/more transparent. In fact,
if you reply to this post via your newsreader, your message would
automatically be crossposted to IE6 newsgroup and IE General newsgroup.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

Click on the following link to open IE6 newsgroup in your default
newsreader:

More:

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

OE Tools | Options | Read | Get XXX headers at a time

The default is 300. You may set this option as high as 1,000. Right-click
on the newsgroup in Folders pane | Synchronization Settings | select New
Messages Only. Now every time you open the newsgroup (or hit F5), you will
download the next-newest set of headers/messages..

When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again right-click
on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now. This will Mark as
Read all messages on the server, including ones you've not yet downloaded.
Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time" and uncheck the option completely;
then compact the folder.

From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the server
since you last checked (polled) for messages.

You should probably visit this page, too:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
there).