stack overflow at line 0

richard

stack overflow at line 0
I upgraded from ie6 to ie8 and now have a problem I did not before. When
browsing to various sites I frequently get a stack overflow line 0 pop up.

I am using winXP Pro and have the most recent Java. I can click through
the warnings, but they are very annoying. Google brought up many pages
about other folk experiencing the same problem, and no one has a
workable answer, other than to suggest using FireFox, which I now do and
have done with no problems.

Perhaps I should have stayed with ie6, which did not experience this issue.

Any ideas?
Leonard Grey

Re: stack overflow at line 0
You neglected to provide even one URL from those "various sites" so
nobody can test it with their copy of IE 8.

Experience has shown that virtually every problem attributed to Internet
Explorer (and to Firefox) is actually caused by one or more of:
1- incompatible browser add-ons;
2- inappropriate configuration settings;
3- incorrect installation procedures; and
4- malware.

To test for incompatible browser add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8,
see if you have the same problem(s) when running Internet Explorer in
'no add-ons' mode:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

To test for inappropriate configuration settings, see if you have the
same problem(s) after resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings:

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Whenever you ask a question about Internet Explorer, please tell us:
* what version of Internet Explorer you are using;
* what version of Windows you are using (with the service pack number); and
* whether you are using a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.
If you have not already done so, please be sure to include this
information with your next post.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

richard wrote:
> I upgraded from ie6 to ie8 and now have a problem I did not before. When
> browsing to various sites I frequently get a stack overflow line 0 pop up.
>
> I am using winXP Pro and have the most recent Java. I can click through
> the warnings, but they are very annoying. Google brought up many pages
> about other folk experiencing the same problem, and no one has a
> workable answer, other than to suggest using FireFox, which I now do and
> have done with no problems.
>
> Perhaps I should have stayed with ie6, which did not experience this issue.
>
> Any ideas?

richard

Re: stack overflow at line 0
On 2/25/2010 1:09 AM, Leonard Grey wrote:
> You neglected to provide even one URL from those "various sites" so
> nobody can test it with their copy of IE 8.
>
> Experience has shown that virtually every problem attributed to Internet
> Explorer (and to Firefox) is actually caused by one or more of:
> 1- incompatible browser add-ons;
> 2- inappropriate configuration settings;
> 3- incorrect installation procedures; and
> 4- malware.
>
> To test for incompatible browser add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8,
> see if you have the same problem(s) when running Internet Explorer in
> 'no add-ons' mode:
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> To test for inappropriate configuration settings, see if you have the
> same problem(s) after resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings:
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Whenever you ask a question about Internet Explorer, please tell us:
> * what version of Internet Explorer you are using;
> * what version of Windows you are using (with the service pack number); and
> * whether you are using a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.
> If you have not already done so, please be sure to include this
> information with your next post.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> richard wrote:
>> I upgraded from ie6 to ie8 and now have a problem I did not before.
>> When browsing to various sites I frequently get a stack overflow line
>> 0 pop up.
>>
>> I am using winXP Pro and have the most recent Java. I can click
>> through the warnings, but they are very annoying. Google brought up
>> many pages about other folk experiencing the same problem, and no one
>> has a workable answer, other than to suggest using FireFox, which I
>> now do and have done with no problems.
>>
>> Perhaps I should have stayed with ie6, which did not experience this
>> issue.
>>
>> Any ideas?

An example that always brings up the stack overflow at line 0 is
www.cnn.com.
I tried going to Start/Accessories/System Tools but IE8 does not appear
there. I tried disabling the add-ons via Manage Addons--and then got the
stack overflow line 0 again, plus the message that the site required an
addon.
Not clear where I should go from here.
Leonard Grey

Re: stack overflow at line 0
No problem with CNN.com on my copy of IE 8.

I can't provide any further help until you complete both troubleshooting
steps I provided.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

richard wrote:
> On 2/25/2010 1:09 AM, Leonard Grey wrote:
>> You neglected to provide even one URL from those "various sites" so
>> nobody can test it with their copy of IE 8.
>>
>> Experience has shown that virtually every problem attributed to Internet
>> Explorer (and to Firefox) is actually caused by one or more of:
>> 1- incompatible browser add-ons;
>> 2- inappropriate configuration settings;
>> 3- incorrect installation procedures; and
>> 4- malware.
>>
>> To test for incompatible browser add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8,
>> see if you have the same problem(s) when running Internet Explorer in
>> 'no add-ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
>> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> To test for inappropriate configuration settings, see if you have the
>> same problem(s) after resetting Internet Explorer to its default
>> settings:
>>
>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Whenever you ask a question about Internet Explorer, please tell us:
>> * what version of Internet Explorer you are using;
>> * what version of Windows you are using (with the service pack
>> number); and
>> * whether you are using a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.
>> If you have not already done so, please be sure to include this
>> information with your next post.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> richard wrote:
>>> I upgraded from ie6 to ie8 and now have a problem I did not before.
>>> When browsing to various sites I frequently get a stack overflow line
>>> 0 pop up.
>>>
>>> I am using winXP Pro and have the most recent Java. I can click
>>> through the warnings, but they are very annoying. Google brought up
>>> many pages about other folk experiencing the same problem, and no one
>>> has a workable answer, other than to suggest using FireFox, which I
>>> now do and have done with no problems.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should have stayed with ie6, which did not experience this
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

> An example that always brings up the stack overflow at line 0 is
> www.cnn.com.
> I tried going to Start/Accessories/System Tools but IE8 does not appear
> there. I tried disabling the add-ons via Manage Addons--and then got the
> stack overflow line 0 again, plus the message that the site required an
> addon.
> Not clear where I should go from here.

Dan

Re: stack overflow at line 0

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> On 2/25/2010 1:09 AM, Leonard Grey wrote:
>> You neglected to provide even one URL from those "various sites" so
>> nobody can test it with their copy of IE 8.
>>
>> Experience has shown that virtually every problem attributed to Internet
>> Explorer (and to Firefox) is actually caused by one or more of:
>> 1- incompatible browser add-ons;
>> 2- inappropriate configuration settings;
>> 3- incorrect installation procedures; and
>> 4- malware.
>>
>> To test for incompatible browser add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8,
>> see if you have the same problem(s) when running Internet Explorer in
>> 'no add-ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
>> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> To test for inappropriate configuration settings, see if you have the
>> same problem(s) after resetting Internet Explorer to its default
>> settings:
>>
>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Whenever you ask a question about Internet Explorer, please tell us:
>> * what version of Internet Explorer you are using;
>> * what version of Windows you are using (with the service pack number);
>> and
>> * whether you are using a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.
>> If you have not already done so, please be sure to include this
>> information with your next post.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> richard wrote:
>>> I upgraded from ie6 to ie8 and now have a problem I did not before.
>>> When browsing to various sites I frequently get a stack overflow line
>>> 0 pop up.
>>>
>>> I am using winXP Pro and have the most recent Java. I can click
>>> through the warnings, but they are very annoying. Google brought up
>>> many pages about other folk experiencing the same problem, and no one
>>> has a workable answer, other than to suggest using FireFox, which I
>>> now do and have done with no problems.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should have stayed with ie6, which did not experience this
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

> An example that always brings up the stack overflow at line 0 is
> www.cnn.com.
> I tried going to Start/Accessories/System Tools but IE8 does not appear
> there. I tried disabling the add-ons via Manage Addons--and then got the
> stack overflow line 0 again, plus the message that the site required an
> addon.
> Not clear where I should go from here.

Use Start > Run and enter

iexplore.exe -extoff

That will run in "no add-ons" mode. There are a whole load of add-ons that
load that don't show up in manage add-ons.

If that doesn't fix it, try resetting IE. If this works, then you've got
something else that was hooking into IE, possibly a virus scanner, that is
causing the problem.

--
Dan

richard

Re: stack overflow at line 0
On 2/25/2010 11:16 AM, Dan wrote:

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> On 2/25/2010 1:09 AM, Leonard Grey wrote:
>>> You neglected to provide even one URL from those "various sites" so
>>> nobody can test it with their copy of IE 8.
>>>
>>> Experience has shown that virtually every problem attributed to Internet
>>> Explorer (and to Firefox) is actually caused by one or more of:
>>> 1- incompatible browser add-ons;
>>> 2- inappropriate configuration settings;
>>> 3- incorrect installation procedures; and
>>> 4- malware.
>>>
>>> To test for incompatible browser add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8,
>>> see if you have the same problem(s) when running Internet Explorer in
>>> 'no add-ons' mode:
>>>
>>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
>>> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> To test for inappropriate configuration settings, see if you have the
>>> same problem(s) after resetting Internet Explorer to its default
>>> settings:
>>>
>>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>>
>>> Whenever you ask a question about Internet Explorer, please tell us:
>>> * what version of Internet Explorer you are using;
>>> * what version of Windows you are using (with the service pack
>>> number); and
>>> * whether you are using a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.
>>> If you have not already done so, please be sure to include this
>>> information with your next post.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

>> An example that always brings up the stack overflow at line 0 is
>> www.cnn.com.
>> I tried going to Start/Accessories/System Tools but IE8 does not
>> appear there. I tried disabling the add-ons via Manage Addons--and
>> then got the stack overflow line 0 again, plus the message that the
>> site required an addon.
>> Not clear where I should go from here.

> Use Start > Run and enter
>
> iexplore.exe -extoff
>
> That will run in "no add-ons" mode. There are a whole load of add-ons
> that load that don't show up in manage add-ons.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, try resetting IE. If this works, then you've got
> something else that was hooking into IE, possibly a virus scanner, that
> is causing the problem.

Thanks for the response. Running with no add-ons did not help. I also
disabled my virus protection (Microsoft Client)--did not help. It seems
that it is only www.cnn.com that consistently produces the overflow. Cnn
is my home page and the overflow does not happen when ie first starts up
at that site--but if I go to other sites and then click on the home
icon, the overflow notice appears as cnn.com is opening.
Truly mystifying.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: stack overflow at line 0
"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message

> An example that always brings up the stack overflow at line 0 is
> www.cnn.com.

FWIW I get

Message: 'cnnContentType' is undefined
Line: 132
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/3.0/s_code.js

so it looks as if there are some coding errors on the site.

> I tried going to Start/Accessories/System Tools but IE8 does not appear
> there. I tried disabling the add-ons via Manage Addons--and then got the
> stack overflow line 0 again, plus the message that the site required an
> addon.

> Not clear where I should go from here.

Try using IE8's built-in script debugger? E.g. press F12 and click Script,
then Start Debugging. ; )

Then notify the web master what you find. <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---