Temporary Internet Folder

Avatarian

Temporary Internet Folder
Using Windows 7, with IE8 I'm having problems accessing the complete
Temporary Internet Folder.
All I'm seeing are cookies and icons...no videos. In Win XP, the Temp
Internet Folder stores everything, including videos.
I have also checked the default location:
C\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\..
with the same end result, cookies and icons...no media.
Now before anyone asks why I want this, let me quote the header under
Settings.
"Temporary Internet Files: Internet Explorer stores copies of webpages,
images, and media for faster viewing later."
This has always been an incredibly useful feature of Internet Explorer for
me, and I would be extremely grateful if
someone could tell me how find the "complete" Temporary Internet Folder.

Leonard Grey

Re: Temporary Internet Folder
"In Win XP, the Temp Internet Folder stores everything, including videos."

Actually, that's not correct.

Internet Explorer initially caches objects like video to Temporary
Internet Files until the download completes, at which time they are
moved to the location you selected or to the default location (if you
made no selection.)

The objects remain in TIF until the cache is cleared, which is why you
can sometimes see them if you open the TIF folder. However, TIF is only
a cache, not permanent storage.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Avatarian wrote:
> Using Windows 7, with IE8 I'm having problems accessing the complete
> Temporary Internet Folder.
> All I'm seeing are cookies and icons...no videos. In Win XP, the Temp
> Internet Folder stores everything, including videos.
> I have also checked the default location:
> C\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\..
> with the same end result, cookies and icons...no media.
> Now before anyone asks why I want this, let me quote the header under
> Settings.
> "Temporary Internet Files: Internet Explorer stores copies of webpages,
> images, and media for faster viewing later."
> This has always been an incredibly useful feature of Internet Explorer
> for me, and I would be extremely grateful if
> someone could tell me how find the "complete" Temporary Internet Folder.

Donald Anadell

"Avatarian" <avatar@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows 7, with IE8 I'm having problems accessing the complete
> Temporary Internet Folder.
> All I'm seeing are cookies and icons...no videos. In Win XP, the Temp
> Internet Folder stores everything, including videos.
> I have also checked the default location:

> C\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\..

Have you tried appending "Content.IE5" to the path, like this:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> with the same end result, cookies and icons...no media.
> Now before anyone asks why I want this, let me quote the header under
> Settings.
> "Temporary Internet Files: Internet Explorer stores copies of webpages,
> images, and media for faster viewing later."
> This has always been an incredibly useful feature of Internet Explorer for
> me, and I would be extremely grateful if
> someone could tell me how find the "complete" Temporary Internet Folder.

VanguardLH

Avatarian wrote:

> Using Windows 7, with IE8 I'm having problems accessing the complete
> Temporary Internet Folder.

No, you aren't. You prove below that you CAN get to the TIF folder.

> All I'm seeing are cookies and icons...no videos. In Win XP, the Temp
> Internet Folder stores everything, including videos.

Not if it is streaming content. That means you only get the bytes to render
as they are delivered and no file gets saved for that stream. You never
bothered to identify the source of the videos for anyone else to see if you
were actually retrieving a file or rendering streamed content.
Robert Aldwinckle

> Using Windows 7, with IE8 I'm having problems accessing the complete
> Temporary Internet Folder.
> All I'm seeing are cookies and icons...no videos. In Win XP, the Temp
> Internet Folder stores everything, including videos.
> I have also checked the default location:
> C\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\..
> with the same end result, cookies and icons...no media.
> Now before anyone asks why I want this, let me quote the header under
> Settings.

> "Temporary Internet Files: Internet Explorer stores copies of webpages,
> images, and media for faster viewing later."

That's right. That's the way it works in XP, even in IE8 but not in Vista
or W7. The TIF does store them but the TIF viewer may not show them.

> This has always been an incredibly useful feature of Internet Explorer for
> me, and I would be extremely grateful if
> someone could tell me how find the "complete" Temporary Internet Folder.

You can copy the path to the TIF in the Address bar and build a chdir
command in a cmd window. E.g. press Alt-d, Ctrl-c in your TIF Viewer, then
switch to a cmd window and type: cd /d (plus a space) then right-click,
Paste and press Enter. Then enter a command pipeline, like:

dir/a/s | find "2010-02-24 1" | sort | more

(depending on the format of your short-date and how much detail you want.)
Unfortunately, that only finds the stored file names. In order to find
more, such as the URL it came from, you would need to open the appropriate
index.dat in Notepad and find the stored file name.

Another change in reduced functionality and usability due to
security/obscurity.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---