ie8 for windows 2003

Roger C

ie8 for windows 2003
I have a windows 2003 server that is not networked nor am i permitted to it
on a network and download the ie8 installation. Is there a way to download a
full installation of ie8 from another computer that is networked for an
offline installation on my non networked server?

Thanks

Re: ie8 for windows 2003
Installing IE8 requires online Validation.

Roger C wrote:
> I have a windows 2003 server that is not networked nor am i permitted to
> it
> on a network and download the ie8 installation. Is there a way to
> download
> a full installation of ie8 from another computer that is networked for an
> offline installation on my non networked server?
>
> Thanks

Rob

Re: ie8 for windows 2003
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Installing IE8 requires online Validation.

Really? I downloaded a full installation .exe once (which required
validation), then copied it to a network disk and installed it on
hundreds of systems that are not on internet. Was that a mistake?
VanguardLH

Re: ie8 for windows 2003
Roger C wrote:

> I have a windows 2003 server that is not networked nor am i permitted to it
> on a network and download the ie8 installation. Is there a way to download a
> full installation of ie8 from another computer that is networked for an
> offline installation on my non networked server?

I'm curious. Why did you buy a *server* version of Windows if it won't
_serve_ any client hosts? A huge waste of money if all you do is use it
only as a stand-alone client.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b

These aren't "network" installer versions (where normally in a business you
have a network drive from which users can run the executable to install on
your host). These also work as stand-alone installers. At 13MB to 32MB in
size, they seem way too big to be just a download manager that yanks the
rest of the product's files from a server.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
probably points to the same download pages.

Re: ie8 for windows 2003
MYOB

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Installing IE8 requires online Validation.

>> Really? I downloaded a full installation .exe once (which required
>> validation), then copied it to a network disk and installed it on
>> hundreds of systems that are not on internet. Was that a mistake?

> MYOB

Bear got caught in his own trap.

I don't recall any version of Internet Explorer requiring validation during
its installation or when you later use it. The only validation that I
recall (for some downloads from Microsoft) is to *get* the download file.
Once you validate and after you download the file, go tote it to any host
you like.

Not all Microsoft downloads require validation. They want to restrict some
software so it cannot be used on non-validated (pirated) copies of Windows.
The link to the IE8 download that I gave in my earlier post does NOT involve
validation to get the download file. The *install* of IE8 does not require
validation. The *use* of IE does not require validation. I just tested
this in a virtual machine running Windows XP Pro SP-3 (which has IE7) to
update to IE8 using the full download file from the link that I gave. Even
if I go to http://www.microsoft.com/ie and download IE8, there is no request
for validation. Maybe I'm s-p-e-c-i-a-l (said while batting my eyelashes).

Haven't a clue why Bear thinks validation is ever an issue with IE8.