Repair IE 8

ColTom2

Repair IE 8
Hi:

I have a friend who had a virus on his computer and apparently in the
process of getting rid of the virus it has rendered his IE where he cannot
access the internet.

He is able to do so with his other browser Firefox.

What is the preferred method for repair his IE8 or restoring it to where
it will connect with the internet? If you go to Add/Remove Programs and
click on IE 8 to uninstall will it give you a repair option?

Thanks,

ColTom2

Leonard Grey

Re: Repair IE 8
Show it to a professional. I'm not kidding. Internet Explorer 8 is part
of the operating system. If IE is broken, so is Windows.

One of the wisest things a computer user can do is to realize when they
are in over their head and need professional help.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a friend who had a virus on his computer and apparently in the
> process of getting rid of the virus it has rendered his IE where he cannot
> access the internet.
>
> He is able to do so with his other browser Firefox.
>
> What is the preferred method for repair his IE8 or restoring it to where
> it will connect with the internet? If you go to Add/Remove Programs and
> click on IE 8 to uninstall will it give you a repair option?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

Re: Repair IE 8
IE8 isn't broken, Windows (still) is.

IOW your friend has much more work to do.

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a friend who had a virus on his computer and apparently in the
> process of getting rid of the virus it has rendered his IE where he cannot
> access the internet.
>
> He is able to do so with his other browser Firefox.
>
> What is the preferred method for repair his IE8 or restoring it to where
> it will connect with the internet? If you go to Add/Remove Programs and
> click on IE 8 to uninstall will it give you a repair option?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

ishraq

Re: Repair IE 8
I can not access my website through explorer
http://www.hiwaar.com
any reason?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE8 isn't broken, Windows (still) is.
>
> IOW your friend has much more work to do.
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
> dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
> software), and adware.
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1
>
> Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>
> Otherwise...

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
> in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
>
> 3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
> in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
>

> ColTom2 wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have a friend who had a virus on his computer and apparently in the
> > process of getting rid of the virus it has rendered his IE where he cannot
> > access the internet.
> >
> > He is able to do so with his other browser Firefox.
> >
> > What is the preferred method for repair his IE8 or restoring it to where
> > it will connect with the internet? If you go to Add/Remove Programs and
> > click on IE 8 to uninstall will it give you a repair option?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ColTom2

> .

Re: Repair IE 8
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post. Thank you.

ishraq wrote:
> I can not access my website through explorer
> XXX.hiwaar.com
> any reason?

<snip hijacked thread>

Bill Sanderson