IE8 web page buttons don't work

Martmcd

IE8 web page buttons don't work
i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should be, no
error message.
downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the page.
downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
refreshes the page.
ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the page if
i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
most other links seem to work but not buttons.

have tried,
resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
running ie with no addons
disabling/uninstalling norton 360
removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
buttons) works fine.

pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
with norton 360 installed.

i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think that
is possible in win 7

any help much appreciated

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
Adobe has still not released a 64-bit version of the Flash player. Until
it does, I recommend using the 32-bit version of Intenet Explorer 8.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Martmcd wrote:
> i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
> Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should be, no
> error message.
> downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the page.
> downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
> refreshes the page.
> ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the page if
> i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
> most other links seem to work but not buttons.
>
> have tried,
> resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
> running ie with no addons
> disabling/uninstalling norton 360
> removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
> tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
> buttons) works fine.
>
> pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
> with norton 360 installed.
>
> i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think that
> is possible in win 7
>
> any help much appreciated

Martmcd

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
sorry missed that bit, Windows 64bit, i was using the 32 bit version of
ie8 - the problem is the same with both.
thanks for the response, any other ideas?

> Adobe has still not released a 64-bit version of the Flash player. Until
> it does, I recommend using the 32-bit version of Intenet Explorer 8.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Martmcd wrote:
>> i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
>> Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should be,
>> no error message.
>> downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the
>> page.
>> downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
>> refreshes the page.
>> ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the page
>> if i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
>> most other links seem to work but not buttons.
>>
>> have tried,
>> resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
>> running ie with no addons
>> disabling/uninstalling norton 360
>> removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
>> tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
>> buttons) works fine.
>>
>> pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
>> with norton 360 installed.
>>
>> i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think
>> that is possible in win 7
>>
>> any help much appreciated

mac-lover

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
Just buy a mac, then you won't have a buggy browser with flash, and you will
have a neat and good working 64 bit system with snow leopard.

"Martmcd >" wrote:

> sorry missed that bit, Windows 64bit, i was using the 32 bit version of
> ie8 - the problem is the same with both.
> thanks for the response, any other ideas?

> > Adobe has still not released a 64-bit version of the Flash player. Until
> > it does, I recommend using the 32-bit version of Intenet Explorer 8.
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > Martmcd wrote:
> >> i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
> >> Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should be,
> >> no error message.
> >> downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the
> >> page.
> >> downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
> >> refreshes the page.
> >> ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the page
> >> if i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
> >> most other links seem to work but not buttons.
> >>
> >> have tried,
> >> resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
> >> running ie with no addons
> >> disabling/uninstalling norton 360
> >> removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
> >> tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
> >> buttons) works fine.
> >>
> >> pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
> >> with norton 360 installed.
> >>
> >> i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think
> >> that is possible in win 7
> >>
> >> any help much appreciated
> >>

> .

Martmcd

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
Really helpful!
something else i didn't make clear - I WANT to use windows 7! I WANT to use
internet explorer.
i don't understand why, if you don't like (or know) microsoft products, you
would waste time in the microsoft newsgroups - get a life

"mac-lover" <mac-lover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just buy a mac, then you won't have a buggy browser with flash, and you
> will
> have a neat and good working 64 bit system with snow leopard.
>
> "Martmcd >" wrote:
>
>> sorry missed that bit, Windows 64bit, i was using the 32 bit version of
>> ie8 - the problem is the same with both.
>> thanks for the response, any other ideas?
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Adobe has still not released a 64-bit version of the Flash player.
>> > Until
>> > it does, I recommend using the 32-bit version of Intenet Explorer 8.
>> > ---
>> > Leonard Grey
>> > Errare humanum est

>> .

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
First, see this discussion:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981

Troubleshoot Flash Player installation for Windows
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

Troubleshooting Player stability and performance
http://blogs.adobe.com/jd/2010/02/tr...r_stabili.html

Flash Player Support Forum
http://forums.adobe.com/community/we...s/flash_player

>>> have tried...disabling/uninstalling norton 360

Norton applications are notorious for not uninstalling cleanly!

Martmcd wrote:
> sorry missed that bit, Windows 64bit, i was using the 32 bit version of
> ie8 - the problem is the same with both.
> thanks for the response, any other ideas?

>> Adobe has still not released a 64-bit version of the Flash player. Until
>> it does, I recommend using the 32-bit version of Intenet Explorer 8.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Martmcd wrote:
>>> i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
>>> Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should
>>> be,
>>> no error message.
>>> downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the
>>> page.
>>> downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
>>> refreshes the page.
>>> ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the
>>> page
>>> if i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
>>> most other links seem to work but not buttons.
>>>
>>> have tried,
>>> resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
>>> running ie with no addons
>>> disabling/uninstalling norton 360
>>> removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
>>> tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
>>> buttons) works fine.
>>>
>>> pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
>>> with norton 360 installed.
>>>
>>> i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think
>>> that is possible in win 7
>>>
>>> any help much appreciated

Rob

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
mac-lover <mac-lover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Just buy a mac, then you won't have a buggy browser with flash, and you will
> have a neat and good working 64 bit system with snow leopard.

But be careful not to buy anything else from Apple, or you'll have
a severely limited system that will not support flash at all, just because
Steve thinks it is not worthwile.
VanguardLH

Martmcd wrote:

> i am having a number of problems with ie8, windows 7 64bit.
> Flash doesn't work - youtube just leaves a gap where the video should be, no
> error message.
> downloading flash the "accept and install" button simply refreshes the page.
> downloading google chrome (for testing) the "accept and install" button
> refreshes the page.
> ie8 addons gallery - "add to internet explorer" button refreshes the page if
> i use the links in the addons gallery i get "an error occured"
> most other links seem to work but not buttons.
>
> have tried,
> resetting internet explorer, removing and reinstalling flash and java.
> running ie with no addons
> disabling/uninstalling norton 360
> removing ie8 (as much as you can in win 7) and replacing it
> tried chrome (had to download the installtion from filehippo to avoid
> buttons) works fine.
>
> pc is an Acer laptop windows 7 64bit 2.1ghz dual core 3Gb Ram
> with norton 360 installed.
>
> i would like to completely remove ie8 and reinstall but i don't think that
> is possible in win 7
>
> any help much appreciated

- Get the uninstaller (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html) to
completely remove any remnants of their Flash AX control.
- Disable all [non-Microsoft] add-ons. I usually only disable the
non-Microsoft add-ons. You could disable all add-ons during the
reinstall to ensure that none of them is causing a conflict or
involved in the install problem.
- Install the Flash Player; however, if you had problems with the
on-demand installation from within IE, download the installer
(http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html).
- The Flash Player should now be the only [non-Microsoft] add-on that
is enabled.
- Test if Flash now works. If Flash works, re-enable the other
add-ons one at a time and retest each one.
Martmcd

Re: IE8 web page buttons don't work
Thanks for your help guys,
none of it seemed to work so i have given up, reinstalled windows 7 now
everything is fine.
thanks again