IE8 Won't Install

John the Ugly 1

IE8 Won't Install
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Pro, 32 bit.

I uninstalled IE8 via Control Panel and now want it back. I downloaded it
from Microsoft but when trying to install I get a dialog box that says "setup
cannot install Explorer because it has detected a more recent version on my
system". What's more recent than IE8?

Using Start Button I typed in Internet Explorer and all it shows is 2 items
with that name: a folder with only a weird picture of IE8 and a folder for
quick launch of my other browsers that doesn't contain Explorer.

I hope to resolve this but either way my next system will be Apple, I'm
tired of spending all my time cleaning up malware.
rob^_^

Re: IE8 Won't Install
Hi f'Ugly 1,

You only have a few days left, so you may as well make the most of it.

ref:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...5-8042ff3bc914

Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support, originally
scheduled to end 26 November 2009, has been extended but will end on 26
February 2010. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on
your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for
which there is a charge. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue;
Issues after you install a service pack).
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update
Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for
Microsoft

Regards.

"John the Ugly 1" <John the Ugly 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B8A9FFCF-9ECA-4A5A-BF75-206D8D198BF7@microsoft.com...
> I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Pro, 32 bit.
>
> I uninstalled IE8 via Control Panel and now want it back. I downloaded it
> from Microsoft but when trying to install I get a dialog box that says
> "setup
> cannot install Explorer because it has detected a more recent version on
> my
> system". What's more recent than IE8?
>
> Using Start Button I typed in Internet Explorer and all it shows is 2
> items
> with that name: a folder with only a weird picture of IE8 and a folder
> for
> quick launch of my other browsers that doesn't contain Explorer.
>
> I hope to resolve this but either way my next system will be Apple, I'm
> tired of spending all my time cleaning up malware.

Re: IE8 Won't Install
> I uninstalled IE8 via Control Panel and now want it back.

You may have removed access to IE(8) "via Control Panel" but I'd doubt you
uninstalled it.

Try re-enabling access to IE (turning IE back on):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ures-on-or-off