%20 in file names

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

%20 in file names
When I download files with spaces in the file names IE replaces the
spaces with %20

I haven't noticed this with other versions of IE and I would like it
to leave the file name as it is. is there an option, or patch or
upgrade available for this?

Tom Willett

Re: %20 in file names
IE has always done this. Since spaces in file names are considered illegal
HTML, it's up to the web authors to correct it by using hyphens, underbars,
etc.

:

On Feb 24, 11:27*am, "Tom Willett" <t...@youreadaisyifyoudo.com>
wrote:
> IE has always done this. Since spaces in file names are considered illegal
> HTML, it's up to the web authors to correct it by using hyphens, underbars,
> etc.

Yes but spaces in file names are legal on the Windows operating
system. I don't want to have a legal URL, I am downloading Excel
spreadsheets and saving them to a directory, yes IE is treating the
file name like a URL.

Re: %20 in file names
Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Setting up Windows Mail (in Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

Setting up Windows LIVE Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ms...ows-live-mail/

die.spam@hotmail.com wrote:
> When I download files with spaces in the file names IE replaces the
> spaces with %20
>
> I haven't noticed this with other versions of IE and I would like it
> to leave the file name as it is. is there an option, or patch or
> upgrade available for this?

Gordon

Re: %20 in file names

> On Feb 24, 11:27 am, "Tom Willett" <t...@youreadaisyifyoudo.com>
> wrote:
>> IE has always done this. Since spaces in file names are considered
>> illegal
>> HTML, it's up to the web authors to correct it by using hyphens,
>> underbars,
>> etc.
>>

> Yes but spaces in file names are legal on the Windows operating
> system. I don't want to have a legal URL, I am downloading Excel
> spreadsheets and saving them to a directory, yes IE is treating the
> file name like a URL.

Well it would do, wouldn't it? What do you expect?

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

Re: %20 in file names
> Well it would do, wouldn't it? What do you expect?

For it to treat it for what it really is, a file, not a hyperlink.
rob^_^

Re: %20 in file names
Hi,

That is done by the programmers of the web site. They have the option of
specifying a filename for the file to be saved as from their server side
code regardless of the correctness of the hyperlink they use to launch the
download. Things get really tricky when you are using filenames that are in
unicode languages.

Regards.

On Feb 24, 12:49*pm, "rob^_^" <iecustomi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That is done by the programmers of the web site. They have the option of
> specifying a filename for the file to be saved as from their server side
> code regardless of the correctness of the hyperlink they use to launch the
> download. Things get really tricky when you are using filenames that are in
> unicode languages.
>
> Regards.

in some cases that is true, but this is a file someone else has
uploaded to the site, with spaces in the name, on the directory the
file has spaces in its name, if I download it with firefox it has
spaces in its name too. Just IE decides to remove them.

Tom Willett

Re: %20 in file names
Once you download, rename it using - or _ instead of spaces.

On Feb 24, 12:49 pm, "rob^_^" <iecustomi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That is done by the programmers of the web site. They have the option of
> specifying a filename for the file to be saved as from their server side
> code regardless of the correctness of the hyperlink they use to launch the
> download. Things get really tricky when you are using filenames that are
> in
> unicode languages.
>
> Regards.

in some cases that is true, but this is a file someone else has
uploaded to the site, with spaces in the name, on the directory the
file has spaces in its name, if I download it with firefox it has
spaces in its name too. Just IE decides to remove them.

Dan

Re: %20 in file names

<die.spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I download files with spaces in the file names IE replaces the
> spaces with %20
>
> I haven't noticed this with other versions of IE and I would like it
> to leave the file name as it is. is there an option, or patch or
> upgrade available for this?

Are you sure the spaces are not there when viewing with Windows Explorer? IE
will replace spaces with %20 because it uses URIs, for instance starting
with file:///, where a space is an illegal character and it will show these
as %20; which is the URI encoded version of the hex value 20, which is the
decimal value 32, and ASCII character 32 is space.

For instance, I've just put a file on a UNC here name \\server\share\test
file.txt . IE shows this in the address bar at
file:///server/share/test%20file.txt, which for a properly formatted URI is
correct. The filename itself does not have %20 in it though.

If you are downloading files and they are having the space replaced with
%20, then I would suggest you try again with all add-ons disabled - if it
works correctly then you have an add-on loaded that is changing the file
name.

--
Dan