IE8 hangs after N tabs have been opened.

Greg Collins

IE8 hangs after N tabs have been opened.
I frequently open multiple tabs from news sites and then peruse the tabs at
my leisure. After so many tabs have been opened (even when closing tabs I'm
done with--it doesn't have anything to do with total number of tabs open at
a time), I find that IE stops retrieving the web pages.

Sometimes this can be fixed with CTRL+K (open current page in new tab).
Sometimes it is fixed with CTRL+N (open current page in new window). But
then after a while it just stops working altogether. Then I have to copy all
the links to a file or drag the pages to a folder, close down all IE windows
and relaunch. Suddenly everything works again.

Perhaps this is a memory leak in IE?

Ideas?

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 hangs after N tabs have been opened.
Greg Collins wrote:

> I frequently open multiple tabs from news sites and then peruse the tabs at
> my leisure. After so many tabs have been opened (even when closing tabs I'm
> done with--it doesn't have anything to do with total number of tabs open at
> a time), I find that IE stops retrieving the web pages.
>
> Sometimes this can be fixed with CTRL+K (open current page in new tab).
> Sometimes it is fixed with CTRL+N (open current page in new window). But
> then after a while it just stops working altogether. Then I have to copy all
> the links to a file or drag the pages to a folder, close down all IE windows
> and relaunch. Suddenly everything works again.
>
> Perhaps this is a memory leak in IE?
>
> Ideas?

Yet tried using IE8's no add-ons mode and retest?
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 hangs after N tabs have been opened.
with IE 8. All web pages loaded fine. I had to use Quick Tabs to see
everything, but all the pages were there.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Leonard Grey wrote:

> with IE 8. All web pages loaded fine. I had to use Quick Tabs to see
> everything, but all the pages were there.

I've had 72 tabs open but ran out of memory (they weren't text-only pages)
before IE starting getting overly slow probably due to excessive paging.
However, you can hit web pages that deliberately attempt to consume your CPU
and bandwidth by doing refreshes at very short intervals or by constantly
downloading streams of new content (even if YOU don't see a change in the
page because the new content looks just like the old content). Even with
just a couple tabs open, having visited one of these rude busy-making pages
can make opening other tabs very slow or using the other tabs for already
opened pages.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Greg Collins" <gcollins_at_msn_dot_com> wrote in message
> I frequently open multiple tabs from news sites and then peruse the tabs
> at my leisure. After so many tabs have been opened (even when closing tabs
> I'm done with--it doesn't have anything to do with total number of tabs
> open at a time), I find that IE stops retrieving the web pages.
>
> Sometimes this can be fixed with CTRL+K (open current page in new tab).
> Sometimes it is fixed with CTRL+N (open current page in new window). But
> then after a while it just stops working altogether. Then I have to copy
> all the links to a file or drag the pages to a folder, close down all IE
> windows and relaunch. Suddenly everything works again.
>
> Perhaps this is a memory leak in IE?
>

> Ideas?

Are these tabs all sessions with the same "news" server? If so, even if
you have broadband and the connections are not closing completely IE is
prevented from establishing more with the same server. Originally the
limit was 2 but in IE8 it was supposedly raised but only for broadband
users. You could use TCPView or netstat to check on this idea.

Apparently you could use TPCView to control problem connections too.

<quote>
You can close established TCP/IP connections (those labeled with a state of
ESTABLISHED) by selecting File|Close Connections, or by right-clicking on a
connection and choosing Close Connections from the resulting context menu.
</quote>

That would be an interesting workaround if that is what is causing your
problem symptom.

Thanks for this bit of serendipity. ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
---