IE8 downloads stop when window closes

Greg Collins

IE8 downloads stop when window closes
Ever since moving to Windows 7, I've been upset with a particular behavior
of IE8. If I open IE and start a download, and then close the IE window, the
download suddenly jumps to 100%, but never really finished downloading the
file.

This was never the case in previous versions of IE. I searched the net and
only found a reference to a similar problem in Chrome.

This happens in all my Win7 Ultimate machines with IE8.

Ideas?

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 downloads stop when window closes
Greg Collins wrote:

> Ever since moving to Windows 7, I've been upset with a particular behavior
> of IE8. If I open IE and start a download, and then close the IE window, the
> download suddenly jumps to 100%, but never really finished downloading the
> file.
>
> This was never the case in previous versions of IE. I searched the net and
> only found a reference to a similar problem in Chrome.
>
> This happens in all my Win7 Ultimate machines with IE8.
>
> Ideas?

Sounds more like a problem with your anti-virus software which is scanning
your web traffic, including downloads through your web browser. Probably
wasn't a problem in previous versions of IE because you were also on a
previous version of Windows (after all, you said "since moving to Windows 7"
which makes that sound recent).
rob^_^

Re: IE8 downloads stop when window closes
Hi Greg,

You have inherited some incompatibilities when upgrading (from XP/IE?) to
Win7.

Review your IE Addons and other third-party addons (download manager?)

Some "Download Manager"'s are non-standard and do not appear in the IE
Addons list (Tools>Manage Addons) so running IE in noAddons mode is of no
use for diagnostics.

I would suggest you uninstall any third-party download managers and then
reboot your machine (to remove the startup entries and shell hooks).

(PS. the download manager from MS that other Technet users use for large
downloads from MS is ok as it is an ActiveX component that is invoked by
client side code in a web page).

You may also like to post back with answers to

What anti-virus program(s) have you installed (or were installed on your
previous Windows version) and
were they running while you were applying the upgrade?

ps. MVP's can post to the private groups for peer help.

Regards.