The red X delete button to the right of recently visited URLs in IE8

Nathan Sokalski

The red X delete button to the right of recently visited URLs in IE8
In Internet Explorer 8, there is a red X to the right edge of each URL in
the address bar that deletes the URL from the address bar's recently visited
sites list. I keep accidentally clicking once I see the URL I want to go to
highlighted, which when I'm not careful deletes it, since the cursor is
often near the right edge (since that's the edge the button to view the list
is on). Having a way to delete from this list is nice, but I would rather
that it not be by just clicking (maybe require a right-click or something,
but having going to it and deleting it seems a little strange). I would
rather not have the red X at all than have it be a single click delete. Is
there a way to get rid of it? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

VanguardLH

Re: The red X delete button to the right of recently visited URLs in IE8
Nathan Sokalski wrote:

> In Internet Explorer 8, there is a red X to the right edge of each URL in
> the address bar that deletes the URL from the address bar's recently visited
> sites list. I keep accidentally clicking once I see the URL I want to go to
> highlighted, which when I'm not careful deletes it, since the cursor is
> often near the right edge (since that's the edge the button to view the list
> is on). Having a way to delete from this list is nice, but I would rather
> that it not be by just clicking (maybe require a right-click or something,
> but having going to it and deleting it seems a little strange). I would
> rather not have the red X at all than have it be a single click delete. Is
> there a way to get rid of it? Thanks.

There is no configuration option to remove the "X" delete button to the
right side of each cached entry in the listbox. If you move the mouse
straight down after clicking of the down arrow then the cursor will be off
of the "X" to its right. Or you could move the mouse significantly to the
left, like to the middle of the list, to make sure the cursor is not on the
"X" icon. Changing your behavior will be the only way to avoid the
accidentally deletes due to drifting to the left as you move down the mouse.
Or you could return to using the keyboard and use the up/down arrow keys to
highlight an entry from the listbox and even hit the Enter key to select it.

Re: The red X delete button to the right of recently visited URLs in IE8
Asked/Answered in IE Answers forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-afaf12d28ede

Nathan, to avoid duplication of effort, please don't multipost your
questions in the newsgroups and the forums. Thanks.