Why is IE8 so slow?

Mona5728

Why is IE8 so slow?
The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download each
page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet explorer.
What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
internet explorer?
Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
virtual.
Any suggestions how to plug the leak?
Mona
VanguardLH

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?
Mona5728 wrote:

> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download each
> page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet explorer.
> What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
> internet explorer?

See what happens when you run IE8 in its no add-ons mode. If that doesn't
help, disable your anti-virus software and retest. If that doesn't work,
disable both the anti-virus software and whatever 3rd party firewall you
installed and retest. Only you know, so far, what security (anti-malware)
software is installed on your host or what version and edition of Windows
that you use.

> Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
> virtual.

That is small and not indicative of a "leak" (which the size would have to
grow without any intervention from you, like continuing to load more pages).
Dan

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?

"Mona5728" <Mona5728@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC6E9589-A5DD-48ED-9CAD-F578F988AEBA@microsoft.com...
> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
> each
> page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
> explorer.
> What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
> internet explorer?
> Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
> virtual.
> Any suggestions how to plug the leak?
> Mona

Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted Sites
zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them (use the
Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and run very
slowly.

As to IE using 2MB of memory, what's the problem? Right now my IE8 with a
default start page and a few add-ons loaded uses up around 18MB per process.
I'd be happy with 2MB!

--
Dan

VanguardLH

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?
Dan wrote:

> Mona5728 wrote ...
>
>> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
>> each page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
>> explorer.

> Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted
> Sites zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them
> (use the Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and
> run very slowly.

As I recall, there was an update around May-June 2009 that fixed that
problem (with too many sites in the Restricted Sites security zone). The
patch doesn't mention it fixes this problem but it did. An MVP might
recall what was the KB or MS number for the update. If this were the
cause, the user should make sure they are completely updated.

I had the same problem because I was using SpywareBlaster to add sites to
the Restricted Sites security zone. So I cleared it out. However, sometime
early fall, I went back to adding the restricted sites (thousands of them)
and did not reincur the slowdown. Then I found out about some update around
May or June that addressed the problem (but I found no specific mention of
addressing this issue when reading the technical description of the update).
Dan

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?

> Dan wrote:
>
>> Mona5728 wrote ...
>>
>>> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
>>> each page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
>>> explorer.

>> Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted
>> Sites zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them
>> (use the Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and
>> run very slowly.

> As I recall, there was an update around May-June 2009 that fixed that
> problem (with too many sites in the Restricted Sites security zone). The
> patch doesn't mention it fixes this problem but it did. An MVP might
> recall what was the KB or MS number for the update. If this were the
> cause, the user should make sure they are completely updated.
>
> I had the same problem because I was using SpywareBlaster to add sites to
> the Restricted Sites security zone. So I cleared it out. However,
> sometime
> early fall, I went back to adding the restricted sites (thousands of them)
> and did not reincur the slowdown. Then I found out about some update
> around
> May or June that addressed the problem (but I found no specific mention of
> addressing this issue when reading the technical description of the
> update).

I had no idea they'd patched it. I've never used more than 1 or 2 sites in
the Restricted Sites zone. Cheers for the info.

--
Dan

undisclosed

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?

I second the suggestion to disable any add-ons. If you are having
trouble removing any spyware, you could also just re-install IE8,
removing all add-ons. Sometimes it's nice just to start from scratch,
just make sure you get the latest available updates.
Cheers,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

--
Kyler_IE8_Team
Dan

Re: Why is IE8 so slow?

"undisclosed" wrote in message

> I second the suggestion to disable any add-ons. If you are having
> trouble removing any spyware, you could also just re-install IE8,
> removing all add-ons. Sometimes it's nice just to start from scratch,
> just make sure you get the latest available updates.
> Cheers,
> Kyler
> IE8 Outreach Team
>

> --
> Kyler_IE8_Team

Why reinstall IE8 to remove add-ons? If you can't remove them from IE8 when
it's already installed, reinstalling IE8 won't help. Yet again this supposed
"IE78 Outreach Team" knows sod all about IE.

--
Dan