ftp not working with internet explorer

Matt

ftp not working with internet explorer
Hi
I have an ftp address that is not working in internet explorer.
if you enter the address in internet explorer ftp//x.x.x.x it prompts for
the username and password fine but then after entering them it just sits
there with the loading page symbol and bar at the bottom slowly moving till
it gets to half way, then it stays at halfway for about 10mins then the bar
starts moving again to the end but keeps looking like it's loading the page -
doesn't seem to come up with an error. PC is not hanged and IE is still
responding fine.
I have tried it on 2 different pc's at our office and with ie7 and ie8,
tried playing with the passive settings etc but no difference.
If I try on my home internet connection with my laptop that doesn't work at
the office it works immediately.
If I try a 3rd party ftp client such as goftp in the office it works fine.
If I try a different ftp address in IE from inside the office it works fine.
I'm stumped what the problem could be and I'm told that we don't want to use
a 3rd party ftp client.
If anyone can help - thanks

Matt

Matt

update: ftp not working with internet explorer
update
I waited long enough and it finally timed out with the following page
displaying

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make
sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

"Matt" wrote:

> Hi
> I have an ftp address that is not working in internet explorer.
> if you enter the address in internet explorer ftp//x.x.x.x it prompts for
> the username and password fine but then after entering them it just sits
> there with the loading page symbol and bar at the bottom slowly moving till
> it gets to half way, then it stays at halfway for about 10mins then the bar
> starts moving again to the end but keeps looking like it's loading the page -
> doesn't seem to come up with an error. PC is not hanged and IE is still
> responding fine.
> I have tried it on 2 different pc's at our office and with ie7 and ie8,
> tried playing with the passive settings etc but no difference.
> If I try on my home internet connection with my laptop that doesn't work at
> the office it works immediately.
> If I try a 3rd party ftp client such as goftp in the office it works fine.
> If I try a different ftp address in IE from inside the office it works fine.
> I'm stumped what the problem could be and I'm told that we don't want to use
> a 3rd party ftp client.
> If anyone can help - thanks
>
> Matt

VanguardLH

Re: ftp not working with internet explorer
Matt wrote:

> Hi
> I have an ftp address that is not working in internet explorer.
> if you enter the address in internet explorer ftp//x.x.x.x it prompts for
> the username and password fine but then after entering them it just sits
> there with the loading page symbol and bar at the bottom slowly moving till
> it gets to half way, then it stays at halfway for about 10mins then the bar
> starts moving again to the end but keeps looking like it's loading the page -
> doesn't seem to come up with an error. PC is not hanged and IE is still
> responding fine.
> I have tried it on 2 different pc's at our office and with ie7 and ie8,
> tried playing with the passive settings etc but no difference.
> If I try on my home internet connection with my laptop that doesn't work at
> the office it works immediately.
> If I try a 3rd party ftp client such as goftp in the office it works fine.
> If I try a different ftp address in IE from inside the office it works fine.
> I'm stumped what the problem could be and I'm told that we don't want to use
> a 3rd party ftp client.
> If anyone can help - thanks
>
> Matt

Did you try switching to/from passive FTP mode in IE (advanced options)?
Web browsers make for poor FTP clients. Perhaps you should try a real FTP
client. There are many FTP clients that are free, like FileZilla. Even the
command-line ftp.exe program is more stable but you'll have to know the
commands (just enter 'help' after running 'ftp.exe [hostname]", or just
enter "ftp" in Start -> Help and Support.

Re: update: ftp not working with internet explorer
See this previous discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7695832f843df7