Can't delete Favorites folder!

J. Earthling

Can't delete Favorites folder!
When I attempt to delete a Favorites folder in IE8, I get: "Access is
denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file
is not currently in use".

Any suggestions?

rob^_^

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
Hi,

That is the expected behavior for Vista and Win7(?). Can I ask why you want
to delete your Favorites folder?

IE8 will not work properly without a Favorites folder. On Vista and Win7 it
is a special folder that cannot be moved or deleted.

Regards.

"J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
> When I attempt to delete a Favorites folder in IE8, I get: "Access is
> denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the
> file is not currently in use".
>
> Any suggestions?

J. Earthling

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
I re-booted, which somehow resolved the issue. However, there's one related
and nagging problem. I wish to change the location of the Favorites store
in IE8. I'm guessing that involves a registry change, for which I'll need
medication.

Incidentally, I'm running Windows XP Home.

> Hi,
>
> That is the expected behavior for Vista and Win7(?). Can I ask why you
> want to delete your Favorites folder?
>
> IE8 will not work properly without a Favorites folder. On Vista and Win7
> it is a special folder that cannot be moved or deleted.
>
> Regards.
>
> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>> When I attempt to delete a Favorites folder in IE8, I get: "Access is
>> denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the
>> file is not currently in use".
>>
>> Any suggestions?

rob^_^

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
Hi,

I just checked with XP/IE8 and yes there is no interface to safely move your
Favorites folder. I do know of the registry hack, but I would be reluctant
to give you instructions as I have not tested it on a XP/IE8 machine....
from memory I think it only applied to XP/IE6.

It is usual for company computers to use servers to store all personal
information and use Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) (Internet explorer
Maintenance) to populate the 'Shared Favorites' folder.

XP Home users do not have gpedit on their machines to prevent them from
doing this.

So long as you are doing regular backups, your Favorites and other personal
data is being backed up.

Type shell:favorites in the IE address bar to quickly access your Favorites
folder from IE8 in the Windows explorer. From there you can cut and paste
some of your unused favorite folders to somewhere else on your hard drive.
You can then just copy them back into the Favorites root when you want to
use them again.

> I re-booted, which somehow resolved the issue. However, there's one
> related and nagging problem. I wish to change the location of the
> Favorites store in IE8. I'm guessing that involves a registry change, for
> which I'll need medication.
>
> Incidentally, I'm running Windows XP Home.
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> That is the expected behavior for Vista and Win7(?). Can I ask why you
>> want to delete your Favorites folder?
>>
>> IE8 will not work properly without a Favorites folder. On Vista and Win7
>> it is a special folder that cannot be moved or deleted.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>>> When I attempt to delete a Favorites folder in IE8, I get: "Access is
>>> denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the
>>> file is not currently in use".
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

J. Earthling

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
The current location of my Favorites storage is NOT the default one. A
while back, I somehow managed to move it, but for the life of me, I know not
how. I know exactly where it is however; I just don't like it there, since
the folder name is now misleading & inappropriate.

P.S. I failed to understand ALL of your reply... guess it's difficult for
you guys to assess the knowledge level of us on the other end. I'd say my
knowledge is at the "moderate" level, at BEST!

> Hi,
>
> I just checked with XP/IE8 and yes there is no interface to safely move
> your Favorites folder. I do know of the registry hack, but I would be
> reluctant to give you instructions as I have not tested it on a XP/IE8
> machine.... from memory I think it only applied to XP/IE6.
>
> It is usual for company computers to use servers to store all personal
> information and use Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) (Internet explorer
> Maintenance) to populate the 'Shared Favorites' folder.
>
> XP Home users do not have gpedit on their machines to prevent them from
> doing this.
>
> So long as you are doing regular backups, your Favorites and other
> personal data is being backed up.
>
> Type shell:favorites in the IE address bar to quickly access your
> Favorites folder from IE8 in the Windows explorer. From there you can cut
> and paste some of your unused favorite folders to somewhere else on your
> hard drive. You can then just copy them back into the Favorites root when
> you want to use them again.
>
> Regards.
>
> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>> I re-booted, which somehow resolved the issue. However, there's one
>> related and nagging problem. I wish to change the location of the
>> Favorites store in IE8. I'm guessing that involves a registry change,
>> for which I'll need medication.
>>
>> Incidentally, I'm running Windows XP Home.
>>

>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That is the expected behavior for Vista and Win7(?). Can I ask why you
>>> want to delete your Favorites folder?
>>>
>>> IE8 will not work properly without a Favorites folder. On Vista and Win7
>>> it is a special folder that cannot be moved or deleted.
>>>
>>> Regards.

J. Earthling

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
.... I'd even be satisfied if I knew how to change the Favorites storage back
to its default location!

> The current location of my Favorites storage is NOT the default one. A
> while back, I somehow managed to move it, but for the life of me, I know
> not how. I know exactly where it is however; I just don't like it there,
> since the folder name is now misleading & inappropriate.
>
> P.S. I failed to understand ALL of your reply... guess it's difficult for
> you guys to assess the knowledge level of us on the other end. I'd say my
> knowledge is at the "moderate" level, at BEST!
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just checked with XP/IE8 and yes there is no interface to safely move
>> your Favorites folder. I do know of the registry hack, but I would be
>> reluctant to give you instructions as I have not tested it on a XP/IE8
>> machine.... from memory I think it only applied to XP/IE6.
>>
>> It is usual for company computers to use servers to store all personal
>> information and use Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) (Internet
>> explorer Maintenance) to populate the 'Shared Favorites' folder.
>>
>> XP Home users do not have gpedit on their machines to prevent them from
>> doing this.
>>
>> So long as you are doing regular backups, your Favorites and other
>> personal data is being backed up.
>>
>> Type shell:favorites in the IE address bar to quickly access your
>> Favorites folder from IE8 in the Windows explorer. From there you can cut
>> and paste some of your unused favorite folders to somewhere else on your
>> hard drive. You can then just copy them back into the Favorites root when
>> you want to use them again.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>>> I re-booted, which somehow resolved the issue. However, there's one
>>> related and nagging problem. I wish to change the location of the
>>> Favorites store in IE8. I'm guessing that involves a registry change,
>>> for which I'll need medication.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I'm running Windows XP Home.

rob^_^

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
Hi J,

In IE8 type

shell:favorites

in the IE8 Address bar and press enter. It will open your Favorites folder
in its current (non-default) location in a Windows Explorer window (not an
Internet Explorer Window)

1. Select the Favorites node.
2. Select the Edit>Cut menu option in Windows explorer
3. Navigate to (or open a new Windows explorer) your user documents and
settings folder (c:\Documents and Settings\{Username}\

Click on the folder named with your Username to select it

4. Select the Edit>Paste menu from windows explorer.

You should end up with a directory tree in your Users Documents and Settings
folder like

c:\Documents and Settings\{Username}\Favorites..... etc.

From there you should be able to just cut or copy and paste your Favorites
folder back to their default location.

(You probably moved your Favorites location when you had previously IE6 or 7
installed)

Your default location for your Favorites folder on XP should be

c:\Documents and Settings\{username}\

In the registry you also need to change the value for Favorites under this
key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

to %UserProfile%/Favorites

but yes, unless you have a good understanding of windows and the registry,
you could foobar the lot. IT is not really necessary to change your registry
settings, just so long as you move your Favorites Folder (and sub-folders)
back to the default location (c:\Documents and Settings\{Username}\
where IE8 is expecting to find them.

Before you start messing around, make sure you do a system backup (which
backs up the registry).

Regards.

"J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
> The current location of my Favorites storage is NOT the default one. A
> while back, I somehow managed to move it, but for the life of me, I know
> not how. I know exactly where it is however; I just don't like it there,
> since the folder name is now misleading & inappropriate.
>
> P.S. I failed to understand ALL of your reply... guess it's difficult for
> you guys to assess the knowledge level of us on the other end. I'd say my
> knowledge is at the "moderate" level, at BEST!
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just checked with XP/IE8 and yes there is no interface to safely move
>> your Favorites folder. I do know of the registry hack, but I would be
>> reluctant to give you instructions as I have not tested it on a XP/IE8
>> machine.... from memory I think it only applied to XP/IE6.
>>
>> It is usual for company computers to use servers to store all personal
>> information and use Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) (Internet
>> explorer Maintenance) to populate the 'Shared Favorites' folder.
>>
>> XP Home users do not have gpedit on their machines to prevent them from
>> doing this.
>>
>> So long as you are doing regular backups, your Favorites and other
>> personal data is being backed up.
>>
>> Type shell:favorites in the IE address bar to quickly access your
>> Favorites folder from IE8 in the Windows explorer. From there you can cut
>> and paste some of your unused favorite folders to somewhere else on your
>> hard drive. You can then just copy them back into the Favorites root when
>> you want to use them again.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>>> I re-booted, which somehow resolved the issue. However, there's one
>>> related and nagging problem. I wish to change the location of the
>>> Favorites store in IE8. I'm guessing that involves a registry change,
>>> for which I'll need medication.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I'm running Windows XP Home.

J. Earthling

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
Thanks, Rob! Before I take that on, I'd like to show you these instructions
that I found on the web somewhere. It's a little dated, but even I
understand it! Does it sync/gel with what you advised me to do? (I'm being
super-careful here, as my skill level is by no means advanced).

Changing your Favorites Location
Added 10/6/96
You might want to change the location where the Internet Explorer looks for
your store Favorite sites.
This can come in useful if you have multiple operating systems (Windows95
and NT 4.0) and want to share
the save set of Favorites or you simply want to have greater control over
where you favorites are stored.
1. Start Regedit
2. Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
3. Double click on Favorites in the right hand panel
4. Enter the new location
5. Click on the OK button
6. Do the same for the User Shell Folders section a few lines down
7. Close Regedit
8. Create the directory you just pointed to
9. Copy any existing Favorites to that location
10. Be sure to include all folders
11. Start the Internet Explorer

> [...]
>>> reluctant to give you instructions as I have not tested it on a XP/IE8
>>> machine.... from memory I think it only applied to XP/IE6.
>>>
>>> It is usual for company computers to use servers to store all personal
>>> information and use Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) (Internet
>>> explorer Maintenance) to populate the 'Shared Favorites' folder.
>>>
>>> XP Home users do not have gpedit on their machines to prevent them from
>>> doing this.
>>>
>>> So long as you are doing regular backups, your Favorites and other
>>> personal data is being backed up.
>>>
>>> Type shell:favorites in the IE address bar to quickly access your
>>> Favorites folder from IE8 in the Windows explorer. From there you can
>>> cut and paste some of your unused favorite folders to somewhere else on
>>> your hard drive. You can then just copy them back into the Favorites

Yep. Thats correct.

You want to change it back to %userprofile%/Favorites

and copy/cut/paste the files and folders back to the default location
(%userprofile%\Favorites)

You can see that %userprofile% translates to c:\documents and
settings\{Username}

so on step 4 and 6 you type

%userprofile%\Favorites

in the registry value change dialog.

> [...]
>> (and sub-folders) back to the default location (c:\Documents and
>> Settings\{Username}\
>> where IE8 is expecting to find them.
>>
>> Before you start messing around, make sure you do a system backup (which
>> backs up the registry).
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "J. Earthling" <earthling@planet.earth> wrote in message
>>> The current location of my Favorites storage is NOT the default one. A
>>> while back, I somehow managed to move it, but for the life of me, I know
>>> not how. I know exactly where it is however; I just don't like it
>>> there, since the folder name is now misleading & inappropriate.
>>>
>>> P.S. I failed to understand ALL of your reply... guess it's difficult
>>> for you guys to assess the knowledge level of us on the other end. I'd
>>> say my knowledge is at the "moderate" level, at BEST!

J. Earthling

Re: Can't delete Favorites folder!
Many thanks, my friend!