The target of this internet shortcut is not valid

RMM

The target of this internet shortcut is not valid
I recently installed IE 8 (previously was using IE 6). Now many of my
internet favorites are missing the web document tab in the properties, the
URL is missing, and if I click on the them I get an error message "the target
of this internet shortcut is not valid". This happened not only to all of my
existing favorites but if I add a new favorite, the URL is often lost right
away.

My operating system is XP Professional version 2002, service pack 3, v.3264.

Can this be fixed?
rob^_^

Re: The target of this internet shortcut is not valid
Hi RMM,

That happened to me the other day.... I haven't worked out what is happening
or whether it was caused by a Windows update. Is your machine fully Windows
Updated?

Lets see if some other folks are experiencing the same issue. I have had no
issues when I use the Add to Favorites Bar instead of the Add to Favorites
menu.

I am using Vista x86 SP2 with IE8.

Regards.

"RMM" <RMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed IE 8 (previously was using IE 6). Now many of my
> internet favorites are missing the web document tab in the properties, the
> URL is missing, and if I click on the them I get an error message "the
> target
> of this internet shortcut is not valid". This happened not only to all of
> my
> existing favorites but if I add a new favorite, the URL is often lost
> right
> away.
>
> My operating system is XP Professional version 2002, service pack 3,
> v.3264.
>
> Can this be fixed?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: The target of this internet shortcut is not valid

"RMM" <RMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed IE 8 (previously was using IE 6). Now many of my
> internet favorites are missing the web document tab in the properties, the
> URL is missing, and if I click on the them I get an error message "the
> target
> of this internet shortcut is not valid". This happened not only to all of
> my
> existing favorites but if I add a new favorite, the URL is often lost
> right
> away.
>
> My operating system is XP Professional version 2002, service pack 3,
> v.3264.
>
> Can this be fixed?

You have something else running that is doing that. Another user found it
was cidaemon...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-ab6865f5ac54

But I think I have read of other causes too, in particular a lesser used AV
product. However, I think it was discovered long enough ago (about the
time of IE7 beta) that it will probably have been fixed by now; so just
consider it as another example of what you would need to be looking for.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---