Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm

DaveM@nowhere.com

Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
working with Google.
Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
box show up when using Google's.

Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.
VanguardLH

Re: Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:

> Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
> Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
> working with Google.
> Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
> box show up when using Google's.
>
> Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.

Are you searching from the Address Bar? Or from the Search Bar? You sure
that you are not asking about the Suggest function?

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage add-ons.
Select "Search Providers" category.
Select a provider.
Choose to enable/disable "suggestions".
DaveM@nowhere.com

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:05:50 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>> Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
>> Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
>> working with Google.
>> Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
>> box show up when using Google's.
>>
>> Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.

>Are you searching from the Address Bar? Or from the Search Bar? You sure
>that you are not asking about the Suggest function?
>
>Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage add-ons.
>Select "Search Providers" category.
>Select a provider.
>Choose to enable/disable "suggestions".

All searches are done using the search box provided from that
search engine's web site..i.e. www.goole.com or www.bing.com.
All "search suggestions" options are turned off in the respective
preferences options of that search provider. I do not get any
search suggestions.
I am talking about the autocomplete option...where inquiries entered
in the seach box reappear if the first letter(s) are re-typed into
that search box. I have autocomplete turned on...that is why it
works in Bing (and AltaVista).
I want to know why it doesn't work with Goggle in IE8.
Rob

DaveM@nowhere.com <DaveM@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I am talking about the autocomplete option...where inquiries entered
> in the seach box reappear if the first letter(s) are re-typed into
> that search box.

That is not what it does in Google! Maybe the two different modes
of operation (Google's and IE's) conflict with eachother?
DaveM@nowhere.com

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:54:11 -0600, DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:

>Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
>Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
> working with Google.
>Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
> box show up when using Google's.
>
>Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.

After wasting time trying to get IE8's auto-complete to work
with Google's search box, I finally un-installed IE8.
IE7's autocomplete works fine with Google, but it's a shame
I have to forego some security and features that are
available in IE8.
Thanks Microsoft. (unless its Google's fault, then thanks Google).
Leonard Grey

Re: Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
Now we'll never find out what "trying to get IE8's auto-complete to work
with Google's search box" means.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Now we'll never find out what "trying to get IE8's auto-complete to work
> with Google's search box" means.

Probably he means Google suggest. This works when the google page
is loaded in the browser (just type a few letters and a dropdown with
suggestions is shown). This does not work from the searchbox.

But note that Google suggest is not showing you items from your own
search history. It suggests completions from what you have typed
so far.

Re: Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
<QP>
All searches are done using the search box provided from that
search engine's web site..i.e. www.goole.com or www.bing.com.
</QP>

IE, be it IE7 or IE8, has nothing to do with "autocomplete" (AKA search
suggestions) in those search boxes.

DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:54:11 -0600, DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>> Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
>> Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
>> working with Google.
>> Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
>> box show up when using Google's.
>>
>> Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.

> After wasting time trying to get IE8's auto-complete to work
> with Google's search box, I finally un-installed IE8.
> IE7's autocomplete works fine with Google, but it's a shame
> I have to forego some security and features that are
> available in IE8.
> Thanks Microsoft. (unless its Google's fault, then thanks Google).

DaveM@nowhere.com

Re: Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
Auto-complete is not "AKA search suggestions". They are two
completely different functions.
Go into Tools-Internet Options-Content-Autocomplete-Settings.
This is the setting to turn Autocomplete on or off.

Search suggestions are turned on or off under the preferences
sections of the respective search provider. For instance, at
www.google.com, you'll see "Search Settings" in the upper right
portion of the page. I always turn them off (in fact, if they are
turned on, Autocomplete doesn't work since the search suggestions take
precedence).

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:35:46 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

><QP>
>All searches are done using the search box provided from that
>search engine's web site..i.e. www.goole.com or www.bing.com.
></QP>
>
>IE, be it IE7 or IE8, has nothing to do with "autocomplete" (AKA search
>suggestions) in those search boxes.
>

>DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:54:11 -0600, DaveM@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>>> Using IE8 and Vista Home Premium and all updates are "up-to-date"
>>> Just noticed in the past few days IE8 autocomplete was not
>>> working with Google.
>>> Works fine with Bing, and then the inquiries entered in Bing's search
>>> box show up when using Google's.
>>>
>>> Autocomplete works in Firefox 3.0 using Google.

>> After wasting time trying to get IE8's auto-complete to work
>> with Google's search box, I finally un-installed IE8.
>> IE7's autocomplete works fine with Google, but it's a shame
>> I have to forego some security and features that are
>> available in IE8.
>> Thanks Microsoft. (unless its Google's fault, then thanks Google).

Re: Autocomplete works in Bing but not Google...hmmm
??