Unwanted Outlook Messages

HenriK

Unwanted Outlook Messages
On my wife's PC; a Dell 4100 933 mHz P3, with XP-Home SP-3 + all
relevant updates, IE8 + all relevant updates, Office 2003 + all relevant
updates, and with Mozilla Seamonkey 2.03 used as the primary browser and
e-mail client; when the PC is being booted and prior to selecting an
application, what appears to be Outlook Express keeps popping up a
message wanting to compress e-mail files.

Is there any way to get rid of this nuisance message? When I tried to
uninstall Outlook Express, IE8 got uninstalled with it. Is there some
way to go into the several 'Documents and Settings' folders and get rid
of something? Alternatively, is there some way to modify the registry
to get rid of all Outlook and Outlook Express files as they are not used?

I have been around since the MS-DOS days so am comfortable hunting down
and deleting individual files but am absolutely baffled as to where this
error message is coming from and what needs to be gotten rid of. Any
and all suggestions, advice, and/or pointers to tutorials on the issue
would be welcomed. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
Bruce Hagen

Re: Unwanted Outlook Messages
Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
installed on this machine?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
> installed on this machine?

Outlook Express is not used. Sorry if I didn't make that completely
clear. Yes, Windows Search is installed. How could Windows Search be
causing this problem? Many thanks.

> Bruce Hagen wrote:
>> Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
>> installed on this machine?

> Outlook Express is not used. Sorry if I didn't make that completely
> clear. Yes, Windows Search is installed. How could Windows Search be
> causing this problem? Many thanks.

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after
100 closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and
even if you are not using OE.

In the case of Windows Search, (the #1 offender), you have to tell it to
stop indexing OE.

Windows Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...h/options.mspx

In the Windows Control Panel | Indexing Options | Modify. Clear the check
box for Outlook Express.

You /may/ see the compact prompt one more time. If you do, let it compact
and that should be the end of it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Jeff Strickland

Re: Unwanted Outlook Messages

"HenriK" <bedpost@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> On my wife's PC; a Dell 4100 933 mHz P3, with XP-Home SP-3 + all relevant
> updates, IE8 + all relevant updates, Office 2003 + all relevant updates,
> and with Mozilla Seamonkey 2.03 used as the primary browser and e-mail
> client; when the PC is being booted and prior to selecting an application,
> what appears to be Outlook Express keeps popping up a message wanting to
> compress e-mail files.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of this nuisance message? When I tried to
> uninstall Outlook Express, IE8 got uninstalled with it. Is there some way
> to go into the several 'Documents and Settings' folders and get rid of
> something? Alternatively, is there some way to modify the registry to get
> rid of all Outlook and Outlook Express files as they are not used?
>
> I have been around since the MS-DOS days so am comfortable hunting down
> and deleting individual files but am absolutely baffled as to where this
> error message is coming from and what needs to be gotten rid of. Any and
> all suggestions, advice, and/or pointers to tutorials on the issue would
> be welcomed. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Start OE, then select TOOLS>OPTIONS>MAINTENANCE, and select the Clean Up
button, and choose from the options that are presented. The last option is
the most catastrophic -- it will delete stuff that you might want to keep --
the first option is the most beniegn -- it will get rid of the fluff and
crap that builds up in OE without deleting anything you might want.

Jeff Strickland

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
> installed on this machine?
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA

You can't assume he's not using Outlook Express, he specifically said he was
using it.

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
>> installed on this machine?
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA

> You can't assume he's not using Outlook Express, he specifically said he
> was using it.

Actually, he did say he *wasn't* using Outlook Express and I missed it.
The problem is Windows Search indexing OE files. It is a well known issue.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Jeff Strickland

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Can I assume you are not using Outlook Express? Is Windows Search
>>> installed on this machine?
>>> --
>>> Bruce Hagen
>>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>>> Imperial Beach, CA

>> You can't assume he's not using Outlook Express, he specifically said he
>> was using it.

> Actually, he did say he *wasn't* using Outlook Express and I missed it.
> The problem is Windows Search indexing OE files. It is a well known issue.

Sorry, I red his post several times after I replied to you, and discovered
that you were right. I made a mistake.

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>>

>>> You can't assume he's not using Outlook Express, he specifically said
>>> he was using it.

>> Actually, he did say he *wasn't* using Outlook Express and I missed
>> it. The problem is Windows Search indexing OE files. It is a well known
>> issue.

> Sorry, I red his post several times after I replied to you, and
> discovered that you were right. I made a mistake.

I guess that makes us even. <wink>
--
~Bruce

Jeff Strickland

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Actually, he did say he *wasn't* using Outlook Express and I missed it.
>>> The problem is Windows Search indexing OE files. It is a well known
>>> issue.

>> Sorry, I red his post several times after I replied to you, and
>> discovered that you were right. I made a mistake.

> I guess that makes us even. <wink>

And, I READ his post several times, not red it. Sheesh. This usually only
happens when I talk to girls, and I have to be in the same room with them.
Your force is unusually strong, young Skywalker.