IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?

Randu

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I
had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I
noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less
stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just
on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their
operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks.
Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010
--
Randu

Patrick Palczewski

Re: IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?

"Randu" <Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I
> had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
> Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser
> IE I
> noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less
> stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8
> just
> on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in
> their
> operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010
> --
> Randu

I don't there's a difference between the two. The "IE8 provided by Yahoo" is
a custom string set in the title bar. It's called "branding".

--
Patrick P.
www.boydcomputersvcs.com

Alan Edwards

Re: IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
It is cosmetic and is still IE8 with a Window Title added.
Branding alone will not slow anything down or make IE less stable.

How to remove branding.
To remove all Internet Explorer branding, follow these steps:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type

rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

and then click OK.

4. Restart Internet Explorer.

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:12:01 -0800, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Randu
<Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I
>had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
>Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I
>noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less
>stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just
>on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their
>operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks.
>Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010

Re: IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
Is the very top of the IE window branded "IE 8 provided by Yahoo" or did you
install the ATT/Yahoo-Customized version of IE8?

Randu wrote:
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I
> had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
> Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser
> IE
> I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less
> stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8
> just
> on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in
> their
> operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010

Twayne

Re: IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
In news:E31A43B4-E1B6-48A2-87C0-327431BB7CC3@microsoft.com,
Randu <Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.
> Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and
> when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After
> making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by
> Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I
> don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not
> fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are,
> and what difference it will make? Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010

Yahoo is the one which, when they proviced Norton AV, put their own hole in
it to allow GAIN and its other aka names thru and didn't consider it spyware
though it constantly downloaded new SW onto your machine fo no good reason
other than tracking. I haven't trusted t hem since.
They DID admit to doing that, and buried deep in their "policies" there
was a short statement about it but it wasn't easy to find. Id' have to
wonder about the broken IE8 securities they might have played with.

HTH,

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.