inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted

Charles W Davis

inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted
Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
installed.

When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
"...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
The specified module could not be found..."

Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation has
been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
contact your System Admininistrator...."

I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and same
thing occurs.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted
Another hijackware infection, Charles.

Charles W Davis wrote:
> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
> installed.
>
> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
> The specified module could not be found..."
>

> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation has
> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>
> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and same
> thing occurs.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Charles W Davis

Re: inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted
Robear,

I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.

I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System Optimizer,
Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
nothing.

I re-installed IE-8.

I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.

I should have added that informaiton at first.
> Another hijackware infection, Charles.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Charles W Davis wrote:
>> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
>> installed.
>>
>> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
>> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>> The specified module could not be found..."
>>

>> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
>> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation
>> has
>> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
>> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>>
>> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and
>> same
>> thing occurs.
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.

VanguardLH

Charles W Davis wrote:

> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>
> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System Optimizer,
> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.
>
> I re-installed IE-8.
>
> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>
> I should have added that informaiton at first.

Okay, so you removed some malware. That doesn't mean everything they
changed also got reset back to some good state. Malware doesn't do much if
it doesn't have tentacles to reach out into your registry and OS.
Eradicating malware does NOT remove whatever deleterious effects it
produced.

Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
granted permission to the Internet Options applet?

gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel

What are the settings for all the settings under this node? They should all
be "Not configured" unless you have previously used a policy editor, you
used a security or tweaker program that made changes here, or you installed
malware that made changes here.
Charles W Davis

> Charles W Davis wrote:
>
>> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>>
>> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System
>> Optimizer,
>> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
>> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>>
>> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
>> nothing.
>>
>> I re-installed IE-8.
>>
>> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>>
>> I should have added that informaiton at first.

> Okay, so you removed some malware. That doesn't mean everything they
> changed also got reset back to some good state. Malware doesn't do much
> if
> it doesn't have tentacles to reach out into your registry and OS.
> Eradicating malware does NOT remove whatever deleterious effects it
> produced.
>
> Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
> granted permission to the Internet Options applet?
>
> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
> Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel
>
> What are the settings for all the settings under this node? They should
> all
> be "Not configured" unless you have previously used a policy editor, you
> used a security or tweaker program that made changes here, or you
> installed
> malware that made changes here.

Thanks for the response. When I go to Start>Run and type gpedit.msc I get
the message that the file can't be found...

Re: inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.

Too late now to install MSE (or any other AV app). See...

Can I install MSE to clean up my already-infected computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-efd9a49d9275

PS: If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Charles W Davis wrote:
> Robear,
>
> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>
> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System
> Optimizer,
> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.
>
> I re-installed IE-8.
>
> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>
> I should have added that informaiton at first.
>> Another hijackware infection, Charles.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Charles W Davis wrote:
>>> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
>>> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>>> The specified module could not be found..."
>>>

>>> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
>>> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation
>>> has
>>> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
>>> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>>>
>>> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and
>>> same
>>> thing occurs.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts appreciated.

VanguardLH

Charles W Davis wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
>> granted permission to the Internet Options applet?
>>
>> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
>> Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel

> Thanks for the response. When I go to Start>Run and type gpedit.msc I get
> the message that the file can't be found...

Any guess is correct as to WHICH edition of Windows XP that you use. You
never mentioned which one you use. The Professional edition has it. The
Home edition does not. You could try:

Otherwise, you're off Googling for the registry keys and data items to edit.

Of course, malware can affect pathing search, too, so a file cannot be found
by just its filename. Did you search on gpedit.msc to see if it is on your
host, like under the C:\Windows\System32 folder?