Problem - Internet access/winsock but Netscape works

Iris Mazeppa

Problem - Internet access/winsock but Netscape works
I have internet access problems-winsock, may have been caused by
malware or a virus.
It clobbered the clock and most of my internet access see below.

Using Windows XP:
1. Cannot access internet, except with the Netscape browser. It fails
for MS Internet Explorer,
Mozilla Firefox, M/S Outlook (no emails from Earthlink/Comcast ISP:
"Windows
cannot connect to the internet using HTTP. HTTPS or FTP. this is
probably
caused by firewall settings", and also cannot install McAfee as it
needs the internet to do the installation. Also it cannot get the
updates for TurboTax 2009 as it also needs this internet connection.

2. Get winsock error "attempting to validate the winsock base
providers:2" etc.

3. Clock is off. Adjusting it works but the setting is never saved.
So every morning I reset the clock, then reboot, then the network
connection icon comes up and I can use Netscape fine. Note: Still
having access to the internet with the netscape browser allows me to
download stuff such as fixer programs.

4. Tried netsh winsock reset and the TCP/winsock utility, no solution
5. Tried to reinstall NIC, TCP, MS for Networks etc., no solution

There are several posts in Google groups about this error but the
comments are
very confusing and do not seem to cover my case very well.
Can anybody help me? Do I need a new NIC although Netscape works?
Thanks a lot!
Iris

Re: Problem - Internet access/winsock but Netscape works
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3? ...IE6, IE7, or IE8?

Was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update when it got infected?

What anti-virus application or security suite was installed when the
computer got infected and was your subscription current? What anti-spyware

it)?

On Feb 19, 12:19 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3? ...IE6, IE7, or IE8?

IE7.1 and WinXP SP3

> Was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update when it got infected?

Yes, but I am not 100% sure.

> What anti-virus application or security suite was installed when the
> computer got infected and was your subscription current?

McAfee, not current, maybe half a year

What anti-spyware
> applications (other than Defender)?

Proventia

What third-party firewall (if any)?
Proventia

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?

Yes, Norton trial , McAfee. Nothing came installed.
Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Iris M.

> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Iris Mazeppa wrote:
> > I have internet access problems-winsock, may have been caused by
> > malware or a virus.
> > It clobbered the clock and most of my internet access see below.

> > Using Windows XP:
> > 1. Cannot access internet, except with the Netscape browser. It fails
> > for MS Internet Explorer,
> > Mozilla Firefox, M/S Outlook (no emails from Earthlink/Comcast ISP:
> > "Windows
> > cannot connect to the internet using HTTP. HTTPS or FTP. this is
> > probably
> > caused by firewall settings", and also cannot install McAfee as it
> > needs the internet to do the installation. Also it cannot get the
> > updates for TurboTax 2009 as it also needs this internet connection.

> > 2. Get winsock error "attempting to validate the winsock base
> > providers:2" etc.

> > 3. Clock is off. Adjusting it works but the setting is never saved.
> > So every morning I reset the clock, then reboot, then the network
> > connection icon comes up and I can use Netscape fine. Note: Still
> > having access to the internet with the netscape browser allows me to
> > download stuff such as fixer programs.

> > 4. Tried netsh winsock reset and the TCP/winsock utility, no solution
> > 5. Tried to reinstall NIC, TCP, MS for Networks etc., no solution

> > There are several posts in Google groups about this error but the
> > comments are
> > very confusing and do not seem to cover my case very well.
> > Can anybody help me? Do I need a new NIC although Netscape works?

Re: Problem - Internet access/winsock but Netscape works
>> What anti-virus application or security suite was installed when the
>> computer got infected and was your subscription current?

> McAfee, not current, maybe half a year

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware