Bogus Virus Warning - How Did I get to the Webpage?

Roger

Bogus Virus Warning - How Did I get to the Webpage?
This morning I think I had one copy of IE8 running and was on my
my.yahoo.com home page when I got a popup "Message from webpage" that said:

"Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware
programs presence. Your system requires immediate anti viruses check!
System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC for
viruses and malicious programs." "OK" "Cancel"

I hit cancel, but was redirected to 94.102.55.9 anyway and a very
convincing virus checker appeared to be running.

I am running Windows 7 and MS System Security Essentials says no
problems found.

My question is - is there anyway to be certain where the popup message
or the link to 94.102.55.9 originated? Does the IE history contain
something like a referrer link that I can access?

Once the popup message appeared, I was unable to do a view source or run
any of the IE debuggers on the parent page. Is there any way to
investigate the source of the popup when it is on my screen?

Roger
Leonard Grey

Re: Bogus Virus Warning - How Did I get to the Webpage?
Even if you could find out who served the pop-up, it probably won't be
there in a few hours.

If you regularly see that phony warning on the same web page (or
domain), /stop visiting that web page or domain/ and inform the
webmaster that their page has been hacked. You can also inform Microsoft
(or Mozilla as the case may be) to consider that page or domain for
their phishing filters.

Do /not/ attempt to learn anything about that bogus pop-up; there's
nothing you can do about it and your attempts may end up installing
malware on your computer.

When you see one of those things, the safest way to dismiss it is via
Task Manager > End Task.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Roger wrote:
> This morning I think I had one copy of IE8 running and was on my
> my.yahoo.com home page when I got a popup "Message from webpage" that said:
>
> "Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware
> programs presence. Your system requires immediate anti viruses check!
> System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC for
> viruses and malicious programs." "OK" "Cancel"
>
> I hit cancel, but was redirected to 94.102.55.9 anyway and a very
> convincing virus checker appeared to be running.
>
> I am running Windows 7 and MS System Security Essentials says no
> problems found.
>
> My question is - is there anyway to be certain where the popup message
> or the link to 94.102.55.9 originated? Does the IE history contain
> something like a referrer link that I can access?
>
> Once the popup message appeared, I was unable to do a view source or run
> any of the IE debuggers on the parent page. Is there any way to
> investigate the source of the popup when it is on my screen?
>
> Roger

Re: Bogus Virus Warning - How Did I get to the Webpage?
@Roger:

And if a Norton or McAfee free trial came preinstalled on the Win7 computer
when you bought it, MSE may not have installed properly and therefore may
not be working properly.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> Even if you could find out who served the pop-up, it probably won't be
> there in a few hours.
>
> If you regularly see that phony warning on the same web page (or
> domain), /stop visiting that web page or domain/ and inform the
> webmaster that their page has been hacked. You can also inform Microsoft
> (or Mozilla as the case may be) to consider that page or domain for
> their phishing filters.
>
> Do /not/ attempt to learn anything about that bogus pop-up; there's
> nothing you can do about it and your attempts may end up installing
> malware on your computer.
>
> When you see one of those things, the safest way to dismiss it is via
> Task Manager > End Task.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Roger wrote:
>> This morning I think I had one copy of IE8 running and was on my
>> my.yahoo.com home page when I got a popup "Message from webpage" that
>> said:
>>
>> "Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware
>> programs presence. Your system requires immediate anti viruses check!
>> System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC for
>> viruses and malicious programs." "OK" "Cancel"
>>
>> I hit cancel, but was redirected to 94.102.55.9 anyway and a very
>> convincing virus checker appeared to be running.
>>
>> I am running Windows 7 and MS System Security Essentials says no
>> problems found.
>>
>> My question is - is there anyway to be certain where the popup message
>> or the link to 94.102.55.9 originated? Does the IE history contain
>> something like a referrer link that I can access?
>>
>> Once the popup message appeared, I was unable to do a view source or run
>> any of the IE debuggers on the parent page. Is there any way to
>> investigate the source of the popup when it is on my screen?
>>
>> Roger

G. R. Woodring

Re: Bogus Virus Warning - How Did I get to the Webpage?
The site below explains how to use Process Explorer and MalwareBytes'
Anti-Malware to remove the infection, which is frequently recommended in this
newsgroup. You might not yet actually be infected but you should assume you are
until you have completed the tests described.

<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-security>

Clicking _any part_ of a malware pop-up is like saying "Please come in." to a
vampire! :-(

--
G. R. Woodring