IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing

rshull

IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the article
and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and the
redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
overlooking.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
"article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rshull wrote:
> Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the article
> and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
> redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and the
> redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
> overlooking.

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
I'm guessing the redirect is broken, and you should stop trying.

You said that one computer won't open the page, and a second opens the page
but not the article. Sounds to me like the redirect is hosed. You might have
a security setting on the first machine set to block dangerous content, and
this keeps the page from opening, and the second does not have this setting
so the page opens but not the article. Either way, the page that you are
redirected to is broken.

"rshull" <rshull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the article
> and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
> redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and the
> redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
> overlooking.

rshull

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
my psychic said:
Windows version: Vista
IE7
Computers are identical
E-mail in Lotus notes
A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
CHEMPRO to read the article.

The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen comes
up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays open.

The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
> "article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
> other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
> Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> rshull wrote:
> > Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the article
> > and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
> > redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and the
> > redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
> > overlooking.

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Thank you (and your psychic advisor ;-))

Does the problem computer have the same experience when you start
Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' icon?

Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box > click Internet
Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
settings?

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rshull wrote:
> my psychic said:
> Windows version: Vista
> IE7
> Computers are identical
> E-mail in Lotus notes
> A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
> Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
> CHEMPRO to read the article.
>
> The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen comes
> up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays open.
>
> The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
> and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
>> "article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
>> other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
>> Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> rshull wrote:
>>> Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the article
>>> and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
>>> redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and the
>>> redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
>>> overlooking.

>> .

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Besides answering Leonard's additional questions:

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~PA Bear

rshull wrote:
> my psychic said:
> Windows version: Vista
> IE7
> Computers are identical
> E-mail in Lotus notes
> A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
> Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
> CHEMPRO to read the article.
>
> The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen
> comes
> up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays
> open.
>
> The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
> and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
>> "article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
>> other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
>> Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> rshull wrote:
>>> Coming from an e-mail link the page opens and the redirects to the
>>> article
>>> and then closes the redirect page. My problem is one computer opens the
>>> redirect page and when the article page opens it will not display and
>>> the
>>> redirect page doesn't close. Im guessing it is one setting that I am
>>> overlooking.

>> .

rshull

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Leonard,

Ding Ding Ding you hit it right on the nose. I did the reset and it is
working now.

Thank you very much....

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Thank you (and your psychic advisor ;-))
>
> Does the problem computer have the same experience when you start
> Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' icon?
>
> Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box > click Internet
> Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
> settings?
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> rshull wrote:
> > my psychic said:
> > Windows version: Vista
> > IE7
> > Computers are identical
> > E-mail in Lotus notes
> > A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
> > Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
> > CHEMPRO to read the article.
> >
> > The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen comes
> > up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays open.
> >
> > The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
> > and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
> >> "article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
> >> other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
> >> Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

> >> .
> >>

> .

rshull

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
PA Bear,

Thank you for your response. Leonard asked me to reset and that worked
all is good now.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Besides answering Leonard's additional questions:

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> rshull wrote:
> > my psychic said:
> > Windows version: Vista
> > IE7
> > Computers are identical
> > E-mail in Lotus notes
> > A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
> > Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
> > CHEMPRO to read the article.
> >
> > The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen
> > comes
> > up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays
> > open.
> >
> > The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
> > and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Ask your psychic advisor, because I'm not able to guess what "page" and
> >> "article" you're talking about, or how "one computer" is different from
> >> other computers, or even what versions of Windows, service packs and
> >> Internet Explorer any of those computers are using.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

> >> .

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Wait...don't stop now!

The fact that a reset worked means one or both of two things:
1- you had an incompatible browser add-on; and/or
2- you made a configuration error.

To determine whether an incompatible browser add-on caused your problem:
Re-enable one add-on, then restart and test Internet Explorer. Do this
for each add-on until you find the troublemaker. Once identified,
contact the add-on's technical support to find out if they have an
updated version that is compatible with your version of IE.

If none of your add-ons caused the problem, then it was an incorrect
configuration setting.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rshull wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> Ding Ding Ding you hit it right on the nose. I did the reset and it is
> working now.
>
> Thank you very much....
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Thank you (and your psychic advisor ;-))
>>
>> Does the problem computer have the same experience when you start
>> Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' icon?
>>
>> Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box > click Internet
>> Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
>> settings?
>>
>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> rshull wrote:
>>> my psychic said:
>>> Windows version: Vista
>>> IE7
>>> Computers are identical
>>> E-mail in Lotus notes
>>> A newsletter from CHEMPRO with links to Articles.
>>> Their host directs the link to abceq-media.com and then redirects it to
>>> CHEMPRO to read the article.
>>>
>>> The problem computer: when the redirect tries to happen the new screen comes
>>> up but will not connect and the redirect screen that should close stays open.
>>>
>>> The rest of the computers: When the redirect happens the new screen opens
>>> and loads the article. then the first screen closes automatically.

>> .

Re: IE 7 Redirected page keeps crashing
Your answers to my question might help explain why the Reset fixed it and
could help to avoid similar problems in the future. But if you're satisfied
with the quick fix, so be it.