Maybe you have a bad cache

Jessica Burts Burts

Maybe you have a bad cache
I have encountered a similar problem. If you use the ipconfig, I would suggest selecting Start, Run, ipconfig/flushdns. This can help refresh "Domain Names" that may have become bad over time. This is just gathered information and an assumption, so use cautiously and not willingly. For more support info on Microsoft Windows XP ipconfig, here is the website.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

If that doesn't work, you could always try rebooting, although tedious. *shrugs*

Meanim wrote:

....Which is the other ng please?
25-Nov-07

Which is the other ng please?

On Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:06 AM
Meanim wrote:

IE sometimes won't connect to page
Quite often, my internet connection remains but although I can get emails
without any problem, when I try to connect to a web site it says Internet
Explorer cannot display the webpage. network diagnostics show "Windows
cannot connect tot he internet using HTTP. HTTPS or FTP. this is probably
caused by firewall settings" but it still happens if I turn my firewall off.
It happens a couple of times a day with no apparent reason. If I reboot it's
usually ok. OS is XP

Diagnostic tool reports:
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTPS: Error 12057 connecting to www.microsoft.com:
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date
in the certificate is invalid or has expired
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A
connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A
connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE:
Automatically Detect Settingsisabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy
Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies):
info This computer has the following IP address(es):
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1
try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully
reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected:

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the
Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback
communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback
communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the
loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the
loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=VIA
Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net
Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=Plus Net , Device=PCI SoftV92
Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=Freeola, Device=PCI SoftV92
Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=Copy of Freeola, Device=PCI
SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=PLUS NET, Device=PCI SoftV92
Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=PLUSNET, Device=WAN Miniport
(PPPOE), MediaType=PPPOE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=freeola general, Device=PCI
SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=Tiscali, Device=PCI SoftV92
Speakerphone Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A
connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A
connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12057 connecting to www.microsoft.com:
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date
in the certificate is invalid or has expired
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

On Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:17 AM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: IE sometimes won't connect to page
(cross-post added to XP Networking)
"Meanim" <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote in message

That will do it. Refresh your link, however you have to do it.
I think you should be able to find a less disruptive way to do that
than having to reboot but many people claim otherwise.

Otherwise, if you left an IE window open but only visited sites you had
already visited with it (not necessarily cached pages) you might be able
to continue using them even though your DNS was failing. This is essentially
why you "can get emails". Either you already have a connection with your
E-mail servers or another DNS lookup for them is not required.

BTW this is not a problem with IE. You may get better assistance
from a newsgroup which specializes in networking for your OS.
Cross-posting for convenience.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

On Friday, November 23, 2007 3:07 AM
Stef wrote:

Sorry but I know little about computers!
Sorry but I know little about computers! When you say refresh, do you mean
refresh the page - cos that does not work. Is there any way to solve it
permanently?

On Friday, November 23, 2007 3:10 AM
ME&YOU wrote:

Sorry but I know little about computers!
Sorry but I know little about computers! When you say refresh, do you mean
refresh the page - cos that does not work. Is there any way to solve it
permanently?

On Friday, November 23, 2007 10:58 AM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: IE sometimes won't connect to page
"Stef" <spamnot@nothanks.com> wrote in message

No. I mean that an XP user needs to check with ipconfig if the link is still
present. If the link is in a router you need to check if it is still present there.
Etc.

You dropped the cross-post I initiated for the OP, so let's wait to see if anybody
in the proper newsgroup has any other more informed comment.

HTH

Robert
---

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 4:04 AM
Meanim wrote:

....Which is the other ng please?

Which is the other ng please?

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx
Gordon

Re: Maybe you have a bad cache

"Jessica Burts Burts" wrote in message
> I have encountered a similar problem.

Please do NOT change the Subject.

Please note:
This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
Eggheadcafe - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You
will get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to
these groups directly, rather than through Eggheadcafe.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

If you must stay with Egghheadcafe then please follow Usenet custom by
quoting the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.

Thank you.

http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm