Outlook Express

burntout

Outlook Express
I have windows XP, with IE 8 and Outlook Express 6. For months now when I
first open OE it freezes for several minutes. There is no repair option in
either OE or IE 8. There is no particular email preventing OE from starting,
and my computer does not have any virus. The only issue I have is when first
opening OE. I have seen so many posting about this. Some require such
complicated repairs I cannot understand them, and others say all emails must
be deleted. Is there a way to repair this issue without losing all my
emails? If I click on any of the folders within OE, it says ( not
responding) and takes several more minutes to open AFTER asking if I want to
send an error report.
Bruce Hagen

Re: Outlook Express
[Crossposted to OE General]

This has nothing to do with Internet Explorer.

Start here.

When OE crashes or won't start:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

When you get it open, do a little repair work.

1: Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

2: After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

3: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

For some programs, turning it off is not enough. You may have to uninstall
it and reinstall in Custom Mode and opt out of e-mail scanning when
offered.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]