Middle-click not working... sometimes

Domenic Alvaro

Middle-click not working... sometimes
I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8 sometimes
doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current tab.
I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago. I
have noticed it on more than one computer.

Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time. Am
I going nuts, or has something happened?

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes
See this recent, related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b0443d0972e86f

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

WinXP or Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Win7 only:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)? If WinXP or Vista: Were any of these
applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

it)?

Domenic Alvaro wrote:
> I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
> sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab. I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks
> ago. I have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

Jeff Strickland

"Domenic Alvaro" <DomenicAlvaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3BB2150-CCCB-43B7-844F-E3654071587F@microsoft.com...
>I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
>sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab.
> I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago. I
> have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

Middle Click?

I can click with the mouse wheel, that's the closest thing I have to a
middle-click, but it only lets me jump to another open window. I can do the
same thing by selecting one of the open programs on the Task Bar. Right
Click opens a dialog box that allows several options, and Left Click open
the link, sometimes in a new Tab, sometimes in a new Window. The link drives
that bus, so I take whatever annoying behavior that results with a grain of
salt. I've selected in TOOLS>OPTIONS to always open in a new tab, but it
doesn't always work out the way I would prefer. I blame the dissapointment
on the link and move on.

undisclosed

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes

Finally somone else who has this problem. This has been driving me
nuts, and I can't find any other discussion on the net about it.

It happened to me when I upgraded to Win 7 with IE 8.

Sometimes middle click opens a new tab, sometimes it opens in the same
window. I get a rapid 'double click' sound when it does not work
properly.

AV = AVG free
Middle click also plays up in IE (no add ins)
Same behaviour for a USB mouse or my pen/tablet

--
mikeincairns
Biff Baker

RE: Middle-click not working... sometimes
I have the same problem. Just started happening a few weeks ago and I didn't
upgrade anything. The problem occurs on my work and home computers.

IE8
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It used to be that a middle-click always opened a link in a new tab (the
desired result). But lately, it doesn't always work. Sometimes it goes to a
new tab sometimes it opens in the current tab. The inconsistent behavior is
frustrating.
BlaMa

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes
Hello,

same situation this problem started few weeks ago. Midlle click sometimes works sometimes not.

Any idea how to fix?

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...king-sometimes
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes
"Domenic Alvaro" <DomenicAlvaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3BB2150-CCCB-43B7-844F-E3654071587F@microsoft.com...
> I have noticed recently that middle-clicking on a hyperlink in IE8
> sometimes
> doesn't open a link in a new tab, but just opens the page in the current
> tab.
> I haven't had this problem before, and it only started a few weeks ago. I
> have noticed it on more than one computer.
>
> Right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" seems to work every time.
> Am
> I going nuts, or has something happened?

How are you doing your Middleclick? E.g. I have a wireless mouse with a
scrollwheel where "clicking" with the scrollwheel is defined as Middleclick.
Well, frequently my attempts at clicking just move the pointer off the link
so I don't get a good click. When I was using my Kensington trackball I
had a chord defined for Middleclick and that was a much more reliable
procedure. Perhaps if I used a different button for Middleclick instead of
the scrollwheel I would have a better result. But the only thing that I
really want Middleclick for anyway is starting AutoScroll, which works,
within the limitations of my use of the hardware, as described above.
IMO Ctrl-Click and Shift-Ctrl-Click would be better options if you are just
using Middleclick to open links in a new tab, foreground or background.

---

undisclosed

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes

Finally! I thought I was going crazy. This has happened to me on 3
different machines now, one XP, one Vista and one Windows 7 Ultimate.

Does this only happen in IE8 or does it also happen in Firefox?

--
Mech
Roman

RE: Middle-click not working... sometimes
I have same problem on two cumputers one W7 second Win XP. Middle click on
some links work on another not.

Big problem,

Re: Middle-click not working... sometimes
My middle finger works...