IE8 in WinXP

Mervyn Thomas

IE8 in WinXP
My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black bars
accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to IE6 which
looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the same. Don't
know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or addons because
the menues are all blacked out!

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 in WinXP

"Mervyn Thomas" <mervyn-thomas@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black
> bars accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to
> IE6 which looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the
> same. Don't know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or
> addons because the menues are all blacked out!

I'm using XP, SP3, and IE8, and it works fine. You have something amiss. Are
you on SP3? You can download IE8 and install it separately, but I'm pretty
sure you need SP3 for it to work right.

Mervyn Thomas

Re: IE8 in WinXP
Yes, I've got SP3............................M
"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Mervyn Thomas" <mervyn-thomas@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black
>> bars accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to
>> IE6 which looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the
>> same. Don't know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or
>> addons because the menues are all blacked out!
>>

> I'm using XP, SP3, and IE8, and it works fine. You have something amiss.
> Are you on SP3? You can download IE8 and install it separately, but I'm
> pretty sure you need SP3 for it to work right.

Re: IE8 in WinXP
Pick one or two:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...lack%2Btoolbar

Mervyn Thomas wrote:
> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black
> bars
> accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to IE6
> which
> looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the same. Don't
> know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or addons because
> the menues are all blacked out!

Ray

Re: IE8 in WinXP
WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8 32bit

I have been using IE8 since it became available. Recently I got the "black bar" syndrome
after being infected with three Trojans. Maybe that caused it and maybe not. Whatever. I
see lots of comments from others with the same problem. In his comment from October,
Leonard Grey said it is not widespread. Looks to me like it is not a rare thing. Like
others, I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 hoping that would do it, but it doesn't.
Lots of comments but no cure. It's no big deal but a real nuisance.

--
Ray

> Pick one or two:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...lack%2Btoolbar
>
> Mervyn Thomas wrote:
>> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black bars
>> accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to IE6 which
>> looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the same. Don't
>> know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or addons because
>> the menues are all blacked out!

Re: IE8 in WinXP
Please stick to your own threads, Ray. THX

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c97fe35528a587

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6419d63c1f6ff5

Ray wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8 32bit
>
> I have been using IE8 since it became available. Recently I got the
> "black
> bar" syndrome after being infected with three Trojans. Maybe that caused
> it
> and maybe not. Whatever. I see lots of comments from others with the
> same
> problem. In his comment from October, Leonard Grey said it is not
> widespread. Looks to me like it is not a rare thing. Like others, I
> have
> uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 hoping that would do it, but it doesn't.
> Lots of comments but no cure. It's no big deal but a real nuisance.

<SNIP>

Mervyn Thomas

Re: IE8 in WinXP
So it seems as if IE8 is bugged! Iv'e now reverted to IE6 and will try
IE9 when it comes!
Thanks for pointing out that reference

> Pick one or two:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...lack%2Btoolbar
>
> Mervyn Thomas wrote:
>> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black
>> bars
>> accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to IE6
>> which
>> looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the same. Don't
>> know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or addons because
>> the menues are all blacked out!

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 in WinXP
If you can't figure out how to use IE 8, don't go back to IE 6. That
version is very old and a serious security risk. Instead, try the
current version of a different browser.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mervyn Thomas wrote:
> So it seems as if IE8 is bugged! Iv'e now reverted to IE6 and will try
> IE9 when it comes!
> Thanks for pointing out that reference

>> Pick one or two:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...lack%2Btoolbar
>>
>> Mervyn Thomas wrote:
>>> My installation looks odd with all the menu items blanked out by Black
>>> bars
>>> accross the top of the screen. I uninstalled it which reverted to IE6
>>> which
>>> looks fine. I then redownloaded IE8 and it still looks the same. Don't
>>> know what's going on and I can't find any options menus or addons because
>>> the menues are all blacked out!

Re: IE8 in WinXP
No, IE8 isn't bugged/buggy. Your black toolbars are most likely the result
of using a third-party Windows Theme (e.g., Window Blinds).