Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link

Nathan Sokalski

Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make clicking
links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than open
Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live
Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than opening
another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

slk759

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
Are you talking about using Send Page / Link within IE or your internet
browser? Those use the mail program set as your "default mail handler". If
you change the default to your webmail, all mail will use the web portal.

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make clicking
> links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than open
> Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live
> Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than
> opening another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Nathan Sokalski

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
Where do I go to do this? I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8, and
the only thing I could find was:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Set programs

This takes me to the Default Programs section of the Control panel. If I
click "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", I can choose which
which program is used for the mailto: protocol, but the only choices I am
given are Microsoft Office Outlook and Windows Live Mail. Is there something
else I should be doing, or is this an option that IE8 doesn't give you?
Thanks.
--

"slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Are you talking about using Send Page / Link within IE or your internet
> browser? Those use the mail program set as your "default mail handler".
> If you change the default to your webmail, all mail will use the web
> portal.
>

> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make
>> clicking links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather
>> than open Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over
>> Windows Live Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab
>> rather than opening another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

slk759

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
Go to Start - Default Programs - "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults"
(last option) - See little "double-down" arrows to the far right of
"Custom" - click that. There I have "Use my current. . . . ", and, checked
the box "Enable access . . . ". I've never set it up to use a webmail, but
I think it came up in this NG recently - I looked for the post but can't
find it. I've only ever set it to Windows Live Mail - not a webmail
program.

> Where do I go to do this? I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8,
> and the only thing I could find was:
>
> Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Set programs
>
> This takes me to the Default Programs section of the Control panel. If I
> click "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", I can choose
> which which program is used for the mailto: protocol, but the only choices
> I am given are Microsoft Office Outlook and Windows Live Mail. Is there
> something else I should be doing, or is this an option that IE8 doesn't
> give you? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Are you talking about using Send Page / Link within IE or your internet
>> browser? Those use the mail program set as your "default mail handler".
>> If you change the default to your webmail, all mail will use the web
>> portal.
>>

>> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make
>>> clicking links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email
>>> rather than open Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface
>>> over Windows Live Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another
>>> tab rather than opening another window. Any ideas or suggestions?
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
Yes, use this fix:
This will make Hotmail your default email service:

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FB8EFB0F-1463-48E4-B6A4-A6D9D17D3275@microsoft.com...
> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make clicking
> links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than open
> Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live
> Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than opening
> another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Nathan Sokalski

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
It looks like I may have forgotten it in my original message, but I guess I
should have specified my operating system and browser. I am using Windows 7
Ultimate 64-Bit and Internet Explorer 8. So as far as your suggested fix,
that sounds great, except for one problem. When I try to run it, I receive
the following message:

This utility is intended for Microsoft Windows« Vista systems only.

Even when I try to run it with compatibility set to Windows Vista, it still
gives me the same message. I am guessing that if the author updated it to
allow it to run on Windows 7 (which I'm guess would require nothing more
than a slight modification to validating the current OS), it would work
great for me, but apparently that update hasn't been made yet. I am guessing
that the program just adds and/or modifies several things in the registry,
so if anybody knows what things those are, I would be perfectly willing to
make the registry edits by hand, so I would love to see what they are if
anybody knows. Actually, I originally wanted to make any necessary changes
by hand, even if I do need to edit some system settings or files that we're
supposed to leave alone, so if anybody can tell me what I can do, I would
more than appreciate it. Thanks.
--

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Yes, use this fix:
> This will make Hotmail your default email service:
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

> Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make
>> clicking
>> links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than
>> open
>> Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live
>> Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than
>> opening
>> another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
In Windows 7, your available defaults for Mail will be listed in the CUSTOM
(<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...puter-Defaults

Windows Live Hotmail will not be one of them, though.

Windows 7-specific Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make clicking
> links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than open
> Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live
> Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than
> opening
> another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Re: Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
Sorry to hear that the fix has not yet been updated for Windows 7.
You can try emailing the author.