Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work

Marilyn & Bob

Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose Connection
page has recently stopped working. When I click the button it visually
depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an «Error on page» shows
up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems Add-on is loaded
and enabled. In fact, when I click on the «Diagnose Connection Problems...»
entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine. Just not from the error
page. It used to work. Any ideas?
--
Peace,
BobJ

rob^_^

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Hi M&B,

You have disabled one of the Addons that IE8 needs to use to check your
internet connection. Some body may be able to tell you which one (not on XP
at the moment).
or
You have uninstalled some software that came with your computer. HP brand? -
re-install the HP security center or contact HP support.

Regards.

"Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose Connection
> error page has recently stopped working. When I click the button it
> visually depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an «Error on
> page» shows up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems
> Add-on is loaded and enabled. In fact, when I click on the «Diagnose
> Connection Problems...» entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine.
> Just not from the error page. It used to work. Any ideas?
> --
> Peace,
> BobJ

Marilyn & Bob

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Thanks rob^_^" ,
I don't have an HP computer. It is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. The only
Disabled add-ons that I have are some RoboForm and Snagit components, DLA
and Windows Messenger. Also disabled is something listed as
{FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} Do you think this is the problem? I
guess I could enable it and see what happens the next time the error page
appears.
--
Peace,
BobJ

> Hi M&B,
>
> You have disabled one of the Addons that IE8 needs to use to check your
> internet connection. Some body may be able to tell you which one (not on
> XP at the moment).
> or
> You have uninstalled some software that came with your computer. HP
> brand? - re-install the HP security center or contact HP support.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose
>> Connection Problems» Button on the «Internet Explorer cannot display the
>> webpage» error page has recently stopped working. When I click the button
>> it visually depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an «Error
>> on page» shows up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems
>> Add-on is loaded and enabled. In fact, when I click on the «Diagnose
>> Connection Problems...» entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine.
>> Just not from the error page. It used to work. Any ideas?
>> --
>> Peace,
>> BobJ

rob^_^

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Yes, that is the general next step in troubleshooting your IE addons.

This web search
http://www.google.com/search?q={FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}

Doesn't turn up much, here it is

O9 - Extra button: Offline - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}

(I think that is a component of IEPro, did you have it installed in the
past?)

Anyway, you can enable it to confirm that it is the problem addon. You can
disable/enable your all your addons one by one.

It seems to fit the bill (viz name=Offline). Also check that you have not
also disabled "Enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab of
Internet Options.

DLA? I suppose that is a Download Manager?
A web search for DLA shows nothing. I am a bit sus about Download Managers
for IE. Do you know what it is?

> Thanks rob^_^" ,
> I don't have an HP computer. It is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. The
> only Disabled add-ons that I have are some RoboForm and Snagit components,
> DLA and Windows Messenger. Also disabled is something listed as
> {FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} Do you think this is the problem?
> I guess I could enable it and see what happens the next time the error
> page appears.
> --
> Peace,
> BobJ
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi M&B,
>>
>> You have disabled one of the Addons that IE8 needs to use to check your
>> internet connection. Some body may be able to tell you which one (not on
>> XP at the moment).
>> or
>> You have uninstalled some software that came with your computer. HP
>> brand? - re-install the HP security center or contact HP support.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>>> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose
>>> Connection Problems» Button on the «Internet Explorer cannot display the
>>> webpage» error page has recently stopped working. When I click the
>>> button it visually depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an
>>> «Error on page» shows up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection
>>> Problems Add-on is loaded and enabled. In fact, when I click on the
>>> «Diagnose Connection Problems...» entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it
>>> works fine. Just not from the error page. It used to work. Any ideas?
>>> --
>>> Peace,
>>> BobJ

Marilyn & Bob

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
rob^_^",
DLA = DriveLetterAccess (sorry for the shorthand)
and yes "Enable third-party browser extensions" is checked.

I haven't seen a «Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage» error yet.
When I do, I will retest the button with that item enabled.

Thaks again.
--
Peace,
BobJ

> Yes, that is the general next step in troubleshooting your IE addons.
>
> This web search
> http://www.google.com/search?q={FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}
>
> Doesn't turn up much, here it is
>
> O9 - Extra button: Offline - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}
>
> (I think that is a component of IEPro, did you have it installed in the
> past?)
>
> Anyway, you can enable it to confirm that it is the problem addon. You can
> disable/enable your all your addons one by one.
>
> It seems to fit the bill (viz name=Offline). Also check that you have not
> also disabled "Enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab
> of Internet Options.
>
> DLA? I suppose that is a Download Manager?
> A web search for DLA shows nothing. I am a bit sus about Download Managers
> for IE. Do you know what it is?
>
> Regards.
>

> "Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>> Thanks rob^_^" ,
>> I don't have an HP computer. It is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. The
>> only Disabled add-ons that I have are some RoboForm and Snagit
>> components, DLA and Windows Messenger. Also disabled is something listed
>> as {FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} Do you think this is the
>> problem? I guess I could enable it and see what happens the next time the
>> error page appears.
>> --
>> Peace,
>> BobJ
>>

>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi M&B,
>>>
>>> You have disabled one of the Addons that IE8 needs to use to check your
>>> internet connection. Some body may be able to tell you which one (not on
>>> XP at the moment).
>>> or
>>> You have uninstalled some software that came with your computer. HP
>>> brand? - re-install the HP security center or contact HP support.
>>>
>>> Regards.

Marilyn & Bob

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
I enabled the {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} add-on and rebooted,
but the button still doesn't work. Then I tried disabling all the add-ons
(except for Diagnose Connection Problems). It didn't work. Lastly I
enabled all the add-ons: no change. Have any other ideas?

I assume that the «Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage» error page
is located on my computer in the browser software. Do you think that there
could be a corruption in the button link? If so how do I repair it?
--
Peace,
BobJ

> rob^_^",
> DLA = DriveLetterAccess (sorry for the shorthand)
> and yes "Enable third-party browser extensions" is checked.
>
> I haven't seen a Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage error yet.
> When I do, I will retest the button with that item enabled.
>
> Thaks again.
> --
> Peace,
> BobJ
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, that is the general next step in troubleshooting your IE addons.
>>
>> This web search
>> http://www.google.com/search?q={FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}
>>
>> Doesn't turn up much, here it is
>>
>> O9 - Extra button: Offline - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55}
>>
>> (I think that is a component of IEPro, did you have it installed in the
>> past?)
>>
>> Anyway, you can enable it to confirm that it is the problem addon. You
>> can disable/enable your all your addons one by one.
>>
>> It seems to fit the bill (viz name=Offline). Also check that you have not
>> also disabled "Enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab
>> of Internet Options.
>>
>> DLA? I suppose that is a Download Manager?
>> A web search for DLA shows nothing. I am a bit sus about Download
>> Managers for IE. Do you know what it is?
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> "Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>>> Thanks rob^_^" ,
>>> I don't have an HP computer. It is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. The
>>> only Disabled add-ons that I have are some RoboForm and Snagit
>>> components, DLA and Windows Messenger. Also disabled is something
>>> listed as {FC09D8A3-C85A-11D2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} Do you think this is
>>> the problem? I guess I could enable it and see what happens the next
>>> time the error page appears.
>>> --
>>> Peace,
>>> BobJ

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Is this a sudden, new problem?

If you open Add/Remove Programs, make sure the Show Updates box at the top
is checked and then scroll down, is "Security Update for Windows Internet
Explorer 8 (KB978207)" listed? Assuming it is, what's the Installation date
shown and did your "Page cannot be displayed" problem start on that same
date?

it)?

Marilyn & Bob wrote:
> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose Connection
> error
> page has recently stopped working. When I click the button it visually
> depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an «Error on page»
> shows
> up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems Add-on is
> loaded
> and enabled. In fact, when I click on the «Diagnose Connection
> Problems...»
> entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine. Just not from the error
> page. It used to work. Any ideas?

Marilyn & Bob

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Answers to you questions interspersed:

> Is this a sudden, new problem?

Yes

> If you open Add/Remove Programs, make sure the Show Updates box at the top
> is checked and then scroll down, is "Security Update for Windows Internet
> Explorer 8 (KB978207)" listed? Assuming it is, what's the Installation
> date shown and did your "Page cannot be displayed" problem start on that
> same date?

Installed on 1/21/10. This is probably around the time that this problem
occurred, but since I didn't get there error page very often, I can't tell
for sure. (Note that for testing I have generated the error page by
temporary disconnecting my modem, but before noting this problem I had no
reason to generate the error page)

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

Using AVIRA Personal AV and Comodo Free Firewall. They are fully up to
date. Both were resident when I installed the Security update. Scan weekly
using Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Neither runs in
background.

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

Neither Norton nor McAfee has ever gotten near this computer. This Dell
came with an OEM but real full version of XP home. I reformatted using that
disk when I got the computer, and there is no pre-installed junk on it.
--
Peace,
BobJ

> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Marilyn & Bob wrote:
>> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The «Diagnose
>> Connection
>> error
>> page has recently stopped working. When I click the button it visually
>> depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an «Error on page»
>> shows
>> up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems Add-on is
>> loaded
>> and enabled. In fact, when I click on the «Diagnose Connection
>> Problems...»
>> entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine. Just not from the error
>> page. It used to work. Any ideas?

Marilyn & Bob

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Follow-up:
I ran Hijack This and got the following two lines:

*****
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} -
%windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 -
{e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network
Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
*******
However, despite the note that the file is missing, there really is a
functioning xpnetdiag.exe in my "C:\Windows\network diagnostic" folder.
--
Peace,
BobJ

> Answers to you questions interspersed:

>> Is this a sudden, new problem?

> Yes
>

>> If you open Add/Remove Programs, make sure the Show Updates box at the
>> top is checked and then scroll down, is "Security Update for Windows
>> Internet Explorer 8 (KB978207)" listed? Assuming it is, what's the
>> Installation date shown and did your "Page cannot be displayed" problem
>> start on that same date?
>>

> Installed on 1/21/10. This is probably around the time that this problem
> occurred, but since I didn't get there error page very often, I can't tell
> for sure. (Note that for testing I have generated the error page by
> temporary disconnecting my modem, but before noting this problem I had no
> reason to generate the error page)

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>

> Using AVIRA Personal AV and Comodo Free Firewall. They are fully up to
> date. Both were resident when I installed the Security update. Scan
> weekly using Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Neither runs
> in background.

>> bought it)?

> Neither Norton nor McAfee has ever gotten near this computer. This Dell
> came with an OEM but real full version of XP home. I reformatted using
> that disk when I got the computer, and there is no pre-installed junk on
> it.
> --
> Peace,
> BobJ
>

>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Marilyn & Bob wrote:
>>> IE 8 with all the updates on Windows XP Home SP3: The Diagnose
>>> Connection
>>> Problems Button on the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
>>> error
>>> page has recently stopped working. When I click the button it visually
>>> depresses, but the only thing that happens is that an Error on page
>>> shows
>>> up in the bottom IE8 bar. The Diagnose Connection Problems Add-on is
>>> loaded
>>> and enabled. In fact, when I click on the Diagnose Connection
>>> Problems...
>>> entry on the IE8 tools menu icon, it works fine. Just not from the error
>>> page. It used to work. Any ideas?

Re: Diagnose Connection Problems Button does not work
Assuming you're absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free trial didn't
come preinstalled on the Dell computer when you bought it (doesn't matter if
you never used or Activated it), see...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

There have been scores of threads in the newsgroups and forums from users
running Comodo Firewall who have run into this problem after installing
KB978207. (I'm sure you'll find threads about it in Comodo forums.) If
tweaking Comodo's settings don't help, try the following:

1a. Uninstall Comodo Firewall, reboot, and then make absolutely sure the
Windows Firewall is enabled.

1b. Disable Avira AntiVir and S*PERAntiSpyware realtime protections.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #5 below.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB978207)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1b above.

4. Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com |
Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
(e.g., KB978207). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window,
install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

5. Reboot, make sure everything in #1b above is enabled again & test.

6. Assuming all is well and you want to reinstall Comodo Firewall (or, e.g.,
Online Armor firewall) despite the problem you and many others have
encountered, do so now.
--
~PA Bear