No Task Manager

Ray

No Task Manager
WindowsXP Pro Sp3

I have cross posted because I don't know which is the appropriate group.

After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to Task Manager.
Is there a way to make it active again?
I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the Trojans again.

--
Ray

G. R. Woodring

Re: No Task Manager
Either taskmgr.exe was one of the infected files and was deleted or, the
"anti-virus program" was itself a virus and removed Task manager so you couldn't
view/stop the virus program.

Please provide a little more information about your system (OS and service pack
level, What security software you use, and exact wording of any error messages).
Very likely you will be asked for more info as troubleshooting continues.

I only see microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general here so I'm not sure what
you mean by "cross posted". BTW the subject is off topic for this group so you
may also get a suggestion or link for a better place to ask.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 2/14/2010 1:56 PM, Author: Ray Wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> I have cross posted because I don't know which is the appropriate group.
>
> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to Task Manager.
> Is there a way to make it active again?
> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the Trojans again.

Ray

Re: No Task Manager
WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8

Not cross posted - posted to different groups.

There was a program called Internet Security 2010 which came from somewhere. It
persisted and could not be eliminated or canceled. I use Vipre as my anti-virus program
and it listed it as a high risk entry along with a Trojan. I cleaned them both and then
found that my Task Manager is not available. In doing a Search for files or folders I do
not find taskmgr.exe. Is there a way to recover it? I use it very often when unwanted
items pop up.
--
Ray

"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message
> Either taskmgr.exe was one of the infected files and was deleted or, the "anti-virus
> program" was itself a virus and removed Task manager so you couldn't view/stop the virus
> program.
>
> Please provide a little more information about your system (OS and service pack level,
> What security software you use, and exact wording of any error messages). Very likely
> you will be asked for more info as troubleshooting continues.
>
> I only see microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general here so I'm not sure what you mean
> by "cross posted". BTW the subject is off topic for this group so you may also get a
> suggestion or link for a better place to ask.
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 2/14/2010 1:56 PM, Author: Ray Wrote:
>> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>>
>> I have cross posted because I don't know which is the appropriate group.
>>
>> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to Task
>> Manager.
>> Is there a way to make it active again?
>> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the Trojans
>> again.

G. R. Woodring

Re: No Task Manager
taskmgr.exe would normally be located in C:\Windows\System32\. I think system
folders are hidden by default, you will need to set Search to display hidden
files and folders. Check for a file with a changed name, it may have been
disabled by modifying or appending to the file name. It may have been moved to
the quarantine folder of your anti-virus program. You may be able to extract
the original file from the installation CD. Do you have a back-up that allows
individual files to be restored?

Internet Security 2010 is a rogue program and it may not be completely removed
because it has the ability to protect itself. Both of the sites below use
MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware to remove the infection, which is frequently
recommended in this newsgroup. The sites differ in how to work around Internet
Security 2010 trying to thwart installation.

<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010>
<http://www.softsailor.com/how-to/16944-how-to-remove-antivirus-vista-2010-virus-win-7-antispyware-2010-virus-and-xp-internet-security-2010-virus.html>

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 2/14/2010 3:28 PM, Author: Ray Wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8
>
> Not cross posted - posted to different groups.
>
> There was a program called Internet Security 2010 which came from somewhere. It
> persisted and could not be eliminated or canceled. I use Vipre as my anti-virus program
> and it listed it as a high risk entry along with a Trojan. I cleaned them both and then
> found that my Task Manager is not available. In doing a Search for files or folders I do
> not find taskmgr.exe. Is there a way to recover it? I use it very often when unwanted
> items pop up.

Bob

Re: No Task Manager
Run sfc /scannow
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

"Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> I have cross posted because I don't know which is the appropriate group.
>
> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to
> Task Manager.
> Is there a way to make it active again?
> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the
> Trojans again.
>

> --
> Ray

Re: No Task Manager
You may have multiposted but you didn't crosspost.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

cf. your thread from a few weeks ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...97fe35528a587d

What anti-virus application was installed *before* you installed MSE and was
your subscription still current?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer

Can I install MSE to clean up my already-infected computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-efd9a49d9275

Ray wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> I have cross posted because I don't know which is the appropriate group.
>
> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to
> Task Manager. Is there a way to make it active again?
> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the
> Trojans again.

Ray

Re: No Task Manager
Problem solved by advice from "John" to edit a registry entry to change value from "1" to
"0"
Thank you, John, wherever you are.

--
Ray

"Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message news:%23IN50darKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to Task Manager.
> Is there a way to make it active again?
> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the Trojans again.
>

> --
> Ray

Re: No Task Manager
QED: What caused the DWORD value to be changed in the first place?

Ray wrote:
> Problem solved by advice from "John" to edit a registry entry to change
> value from "1" to "0"
> Thank you, John, wherever you are.
>
> "Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message
>> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>>
>> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access
>> Task Manager. Is there a way to make it active again?
>> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the
>> Trojans again.

Ray

Re: No Task Manager
I have no idea except that it happened after finding three Trojans. Also all the bars at
the top of my home page and some of the other sites are black and I can't see the text
except when I flyover.

--
Ray

> QED: What caused the DWORD value to be changed in the first place?
>
> Ray wrote:
>> Problem solved by advice from "John" to edit a registry entry to change
>> value from "1" to "0"
>> Thank you, John, wherever you are.
>>
>> "Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message
>>> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>>>
>>> After an anti-virus program removed two Trojans I no longer have access to
>>> Task Manager. Is there a way to make it active again?
>>> I don't want to do a restore for fear it will take me back to include the
>>> Trojans again.

Re: No Task Manager
Sounds like you've got much more work to do.

See...