Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Nathan Sokalski

Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there are
two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the following
locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
a 32-bit version)
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
64-bit version)

First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is there
any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I have
not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed to
be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like to
have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions and/or
give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

R. C. White

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Hi, Nathan.

You are correct. On 64-bit Win7, there BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
IE8.

Some program developers are slow to move to the 64-bit world. One of them,
sadly, is Adobe. Adobe Flash Player is one of the most popular tools on the
Internet - but it has not yet been updated to work in a 64-bit browser. But
it will happily work in a 32-bit browser running in 64-bit Windows. For
Adobe's statement on this subject, see their TechNote, last updated
10/21/09:
Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

When we try to play a YouTube video in 64-bit IE8, it doesn't work. When my
grandson tries to play some of the videos on PBSKids.org, they don't work -
unless the 32-bit IE8 is running. To cut down on such frustrations,
Microsoft set Win7 to run 32-bit IE8 by default. If you want to run 64-bit
IE8, then you can browse to it in Windows Explorer and double-click on
iexplore.exe - or any of the other methods to run a program (pin to Start
menu or taskbar, create a shortcut, etc.).

I did change the default to 64-bit, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. When
a Flash video refuses to run in 64-bit, just Copy the URL, start the 32-bit
IE8 (which can be pinned to the Start menu), Paste the URL there and press
Enter.

To see which version of IE8 is currently running, click Help | About
Internet Explorer. The 64-bit version will say "64-bit Edition"; the 32-bit
edition doesn't mention "bitness" at all.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
> following locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and
> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit,
> I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have changed any
> shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am
> a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that
> specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these
> questions and/or give me some information on some of what I can and/or
> should do about it? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Nathan Sokalski wrote:

> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
> following locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and
> I have not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not
> supposed to be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is
> supposed to be better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for
> 64-bit, I would like to have everything use that if possible. I have
> changed any shortcuts on my Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit
> version, but I am a little bit hesitant to change some of the values in
> the Registry that specifically specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone
> answer any of these questions and/or give me some information on some of
> what I can and/or should do about it? Thanks.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
"I have Windows 7 64-bit and need to use Internet Explorer 32-bit".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
MS Answers: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-IT/categories

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?

The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:

A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

More:

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
> are
> two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the following
> locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
> is
> a 32-bit version)
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is the
> 64-bit version)
>
> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
> there
> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I have
> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
> and/or
> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
> Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:

1. That is the version that came with my new computer
2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
(although I'd have to double-check
3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy figuring
out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or alternative)
I saw no reason to wait

Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in makers
that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers would
offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm a
patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a 32
and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
--

> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>
> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>
> A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
>
> You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
>
> More:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
>

> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> I recently moved to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have noticed that there
>> are
>> two copies of Internet Explorer 8 on the machine, located at the
>> following
>> locations:
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this
>> is
>> a 32-bit version)
>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (I am assuming this is
>> the
>> 64-bit version)
>>
>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>> there
>> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I
>> have
>> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
>> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
>> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
>> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
>> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
>> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
>> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
>> and/or
>> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
>> Thanks.

Bobby Johnson

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
645-bit Windows 7 should serve you well. Ultimate does come in both
32-bit and 64-bit, but but that's not really significant.

If you find any 16-bit based program that won't run on 64-bit you can
always install a Virtual Machine program and run most of those type
programs there. Microsoft has an XP Mode VM for Win 7 Professional and
Ultimate. And, if you really need to run some old programs, there is
DOSBox.

So, enjoy you 64-bit Win 7!

On 2010-02-14 11:40, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>
> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that
> exists (although I'd have to double-check
> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit
> (and the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
> figuring out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
> alternative) I saw no reason to wait
>
> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
> makers that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates.
> 64-bit isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were
> 64-bit versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware
> makers would offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe
> would have made a 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually
> everyone uses. But I'm a patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds
> and alternatives, I'm a patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough
> to give Windows 7 users a 32 and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I
> have to complain about?

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
computer or upgrading your current computer.

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> [...]
>>> 64-bit version)
>>>
>>> First of all, why did Windows 7 install both versions? And second, is
>>> there
>>> any difference between them? I have tried running both of them, and I
>>> have
>>> not noticed any difference, and I am assuming that there is not supposed
>>> be any noticeable difference. However, because 64-bit is supposed to be
>>> better than 32-bit and one of these is designed for 64-bit, I would like
>>> have everything use that if possible. I have changed any shortcuts on my
>>> Desktop and Start Menu to use the 64-bit version, but I am a little bit
>>> hesitant to change some of the values in the Registry that specifically
>>> specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions
>>> and/or
>>> give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about
>>> Thanks.

Richard

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
PA Bear,

Like Nathan, I'm also curious about the thinking behind you comment, "May I
ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?" Since you're a "MVP" I
would be interested in you elaborating on that comment. I'm not attempting
to start an argument, just want to hear your rationale.

In my case, I replaced a 10 year old desktop that was failing fast
(hardware) and was not expandable beyond 512MB of ram with a laptop fully
compatible with 64-bit and most 32-bit applications. I replaced one software
package (I was due anyway). Since I'm now retired, I can get along without
Microsoft Office (Works 9, which came with my system gives me what I need).
The only peripheral that I replace was my scanner and that was because the
accompanying software was not compatible with 64-bit. I could have kept it,
the driver worked but I wanted full functionality.

Again, I'm interested in you expanding on your comment.
--
Thank You,
Richard

> Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
> computer or upgrading your current computer.
>
> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>>
>> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
>> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
>> (although I'd have to double-check
>> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
>> the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
>> figuring
>> out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
>> alternative)
>> I saw no reason to wait
>>
>> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
>> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
>> makers
>> that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
>> isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
>> versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers
>> would
>> offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
>> 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm
>> patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
>> patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a
>> 32
>> and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
>>
>>> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>>>
>>> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>>>
>>> A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765 You should familiarize
>>> yourself with this FAQ:
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
>>> More:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981

Nathan Sokalski

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
I don't assume, and I did do plenty of research before buying my new
computer. I read Windows 7 Inside Out from cover to cover (which I believe
is the best series of books as far as getting in-depth details about
Windows, I did the same thing with Windows XP Inside Out), I checked online
for Windows 7 and 64-bit compatible drivers and updates for my hardware and
software, I even wrote myself a detailed step-by-step list of things to do
when I got my machine to make sure I did everything exactly the way I wanted
it. I think I can be considered someone who did their research and homework.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

> Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
> computer or upgrading your current computer.
>
> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>> The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:
>>
>> 1. That is the version that came with my new computer
>> 2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
>> (although I'd have to double-check
>> 3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
>> the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy
>> figuring
>> out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or
>> alternative)
>> I saw no reason to wait
>>
>> Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
>> thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in
>> makers
>> that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
>> isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
>> versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers
>> would
>> offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
>> 64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm
>> patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
>> patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a
>> 32
>> and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?
>>
>>> May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?
>>>
>>> The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:
>>>
>>> A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765 You should familiarize
>>> yourself with this FAQ:
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
>>> More:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981

Vjekoslav

Re: Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
This PA Bear is a crasy guy. What kind of a question is that : May I ask you
why you....... x64 win...??? What do ya' care why somebody did this or
that.A man is asking a question, if you can't give him an answer, please,
don't ask a stupid questiones, It's not up to you, man!!!

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> napisao u poruci diskusione
grupe:8C0B3379-BFDB-4F2C-A1B4-AAB8794B0CF9@microsoft.com...