IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome

Broooz

IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome
It takes about 10" for IE to open compared to almost instant for Chrome.
Yes I am opening a blank page in both cases. Does this mean that IE is
checking more for security (even though not opening anything) or does it
mean I should start using Chrome. But is Chrome as secure?

Answers would be appreciated

Thanks

Broooz

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome
Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
the 'no add-ons' icon?

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
settings?

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Broooz wrote:
> It takes about 10" for IE to open compared to almost instant for Chrome.
> Yes I am opening a blank page in both cases. Does this mean that IE is
> checking more for security (even though not opening anything) or does it
> mean I should start using Chrome. But is Chrome as secure?
>
> Answers would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Broooz

Broooz

> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from the
> 'no add-ons' icon?
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have Vista or 7: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
> settings?
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Broooz wrote:
>> It takes about 10" for IE to open compared to almost instant for Chrome.
>> Yes I am opening a blank page in both cases. Does this mean that IE is
>> checking more for security (even though not opening anything) or does it
>> mean I should start using Chrome. But is Chrome as secure?
>>
>> Answers would be appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Broooz

Thanks Leonard. I tried resetting - it takes me down to 6 seconds - time
saved I suspect is google toolbar - but still very slow. Opening tabs from
there is 3" so a lot better but still so much slower than Chrome which is
instant? I guess I would use IE8 if more secure though.

Re: IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome
Look at IE Tools | Manage add-ons | Enable/disable add-ons | Add-ons
currently loaded... & Add-ons that have been used...

Do any of those load when you open Chrome (or FF)?

> Look at IE Tools | Manage add-ons | Enable/disable add-ons | Add-ons
> currently loaded... & Add-ons that have been used...
>
> Do any of those load when you open Chrome (or FF)?
>

> Broooz wrote:
>> It takes about 10" for IE to open compared to almost instant for Chrome.
>> Yes I am opening a blank page in both cases. Does this mean that IE is
>> checking more for security (even though not opening anything) or does it
>> mean I should start using Chrome. But is Chrome as secure?

I have disabled all add-ons and that speeded things up significantly but it
still takes about 4" seconds longer than Chrome.

Re: IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome
Now try opening IE in No Add-ons mode. Then try doing a Reset.

Meanwhile, how does taking a few seconds longer to open a new instance of IE
vs. a new instance of Chrome affect your quality of life?

> Now try opening IE in No Add-ons mode. Then try doing a Reset.
>
> Meanwhile, how does taking a few seconds longer to open a new instance of
> IE vs. a new instance of Chrome affect your quality of life?

Thanks Yes I guess you are right but it seems a bit frustrating to take
that much longer especially every time you click on a link it takes you to a
new sheet. I will probably default to Chrome if there is no security
disadvantage.

Steve

Re: IE8 so much slower than Google Chrome
I switched to Chrome 2 months ago... I like it.